An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Start — That's All There Is To It

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The one thing that holds many addicts from even attempting to give up their addiction is the fear of the unknown:

"I've used this drug so long, can I do without it?"

How would you find out unless you actually stop using the drug? It doesn't take much. You need just to decide not to touch the drug for one day and see how it goes. It's this first step that will start you on your way towards achieving your goal — beating an addiction.
    amethyst likes this.
  2. Fern

Fern Active Contributor

This is a great point and something to remember. I'll bump it but it totally deserves to be pinned or something.

You can do it. No matter who you are and how bad it is now, it can be done. Just start somewhere and keep taking steps on the path to sobriety.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Anybody can quit whatever they are doing, it just takes motivation and will power. The first couple of days will suck, but it does start to get better and you can see how your life will change. You have to have a support system in plave.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think this is true for any of our bad habits in general. People tend to want to stick to their comfort zones to a fault and not all people have an open mind about change so this really is one of the main psychological hindrances that become obstacles for people who want to better themselves.
  5. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

We can get so stuck in a rut that we forget how easy it actually is to make the biggest change in our lives if we just say "no" one day. "No more." Every day is a new opportunity to turn everything around for the better. It's sad and tragic that often extreme events need to occur to open one's eyes to start that big transformation.
  6. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

It is easier said than done. I remember that I used to wake up every morning and decide that I would not have a drink. Before the day ended, I would have more than one. I am very thankful today that I do not need an alcoholic beverage. Overcoming an addiction requires a great motivation one day at a time.
  7. globulon

globulon Member

Yes! This is a great message! Recovery is a long ordeal that needs to be taken one step at a time, no matter how small. While the decision to start recovery may not be the hardest step, it is still one of the most important milestones in the long journey ahead.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Muthoni, it is great that you finally kicked your addiction. Can I ask how you quit, what methods you used? It takes a lot of courage to wake up one day and say that you are done and that you are going to kick your habit for good.
  9. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Just a relevant quote
    '"Got an idea to start", "Thinking to start" and "Making a commitment to start" is one aspect of life.
    Actually "Starting" what you truly want to do in life, is a completely different ball game.' - Manoj Arora

I know it's hard but once you start, you have already took a giant leap towards your aim.
  10. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Indeed. Starting can be branded as the hardest part, other than that it's just a ride! It takes an effort to actually start something, but once you do, you will feel much better and things can only work for the best.
  11. 003

003 Community Champion

With self and strong determination, anyone can achieve her goal. It's not going to be easy to fight your addiction, but with your family and your will, you will be successful. There would be times that you are going to lose hope and that you might think that you can't do it anymore. But whatever that your feeling and no matter how hard it is, just keep doing. Persistence is the key.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. The first step is really the most difficult because anyone can easily get too used to habits, whether they are big ones or small ones. I myself have trouble imagining myself never smoking again even though I know that I'll have to give it up soon. I realize at some level that giving it up won't be too bad but the thought of not smoking is scary to me.
  13. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

It is so true that it is easier said than done. When the person is ready, they will make that first step. The first step defintely is the hardest. You know the ride from that point on will not be easy. Take it one day at a time. All you can do is stay postive and keep trying.
  14. juno

juno Community Champion

I think the fear of the uknown can go both ways. Many wonder what will they do after they are sober. It has been so long that they don't knowwhat life will be like and how to cope with problems because in the past they just drowned themselves in the drugs when there was a problem. People need a well rounded support system to teach them the life skills they either never had or have forgotten.
  15. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

It's easy for you to say " just start" and "just stop", but it's easier said than done. When you're and addict of any sort, sometimes your will power to stop, isn't stronger than your will power to protect your sobriety, these are two different concepts.We can sit here and talk about what is needed when in fact, we have to actually experience addiction "head on" to get the full scope of being strong enough to say,"no".
  16. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Yep, nothing beats fear best than doing! A lot of humans simply do not understand or believe fear is a immovable and unbeatable creature spawn from the depths of hell, but truly it is simply a self-induced state of mind one believes in. It is sad to see people struggle so hard against intangible thinking, it is more tragic than the most dramatic plays, poetries, and songs ever created, because such suffering people can make it all gone in a heartbeat.