An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Starting a new life!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Feb 1, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

How are you going to start a new life? And what does it mean for you? Does it mean for you that you are completely going to leave those people who had dragged you to your old dirty life, do your substance abuse and to your abuse of yourself? Does it mean having a new hobby that's going to take all your attention? Or simply starting a new life is just nothing, but only in words?
  2. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Starting a new sober and healthy life should mean looking forward and leaving back all the things that seem to pull you back to where you come from or to where you felt most lowest and unhappy! I think if it means letting go of some relationships and finding new ones that have the same focus and interests that you have then so be it. I also think that your mind will need to be occupied with something new and exciting, so starting a hobby could also be a fantastic idea. Starting a new life should never be just words, one should take action!
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Starting a new life might demand that you start everything anew. From scratch. Not all your all friends and acquaintances might be a bad influence though. Keep those who aren't on drugs because you might need support from time to time.

If moving to a new city and leaving the past behind you is doable then I think this would be a great way to start a new life but you MUST be committed to leaving your past [substance abuse and everything] behind.
  4. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

Sometimes it hurts but if you really must cut off toxic people in your life, then you have to do it. Only keep people who would be good for your soul. The rest that you keep could poison you eventually, so it's best that they're gone anyway.
  5. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

Starting a new life when used in terms of recovery means just that. You have to start fresh. You are not to do the things that made you fail before. You have to get rid of those people that pushed you towards failure. Embrace the people that encouraged you the most. Adopt a new attitude and appreciation towards life.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

It means to have a fresh start and to see all the things in life that are beautiful once again. Sometimes you have to be selfish to take care of yourself and that is ok to do. It is the time in your life when you start thinking about your own wants and needs for a change.
  7. romananthonysmama

romananthonysmama Active Contributor

I started my new life in May of 2014. I actually started recovery for a different type of addiction (a really bad eating disorder) in 2012 when I entered treatment. The reason I say that I started my new life in May of 2014, is because I had been in a horrifically abusive relationship with my son's father. He was an addict. It was a nightmare, but I stayed because I was so scared and I honestly did not know where to start the whole process of leaving. It was just terrible. Finally, I got the courage to leave him in early May of that year. I finally went to the courts, got the orders I needed, and I was finally free. Most people become mothers when they give birth, but I became a mother on that day. That was the day when I finally knew that I had the motherly instinct I had once doubted that I had. I knew from then on, my son's safety was the only priority. That's when both of our new lives started. I could not be happier.

I started my new life by enrolling in college (I graduate in only 3 months!), moving back into my parents house which is a WAY more stable environment, immersed myself in my work, and stayed busy by spending time with my son. I cannot believe how much my life has improved in the past year (less, really). I feel so blessed and I am proud of myself.
  8. stariie

stariie Community Champion

If a person is really serious, staring a new life means getting rid of the things and people in your life that were dragging you down, or holding you back, or holding you stagnate, in the same place that you have been in for years.

I've had to let go of some people, but it is for the best. I have to concentrate on what I need to do for myself and for my son, and a lot of times when you hang out with people who don't have the same priorities as you do, then your priorities can fall by the way side, which is not a good thing.

I have to consciously remember to make good choices, instead of the "fun" choices that I used to make, especially since they were, in actuality, debilitating choices and not fun at all.
  9. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

Sometimes it is a great idea to start over. Leave the old life that caused you nothing but problems behind. Get rid of those that kept you in that bad space. New friends, new attitude and a new perspective on life are a good way to start fresh.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Starting a new life can even be as drastic as moving away and starting a brand new chapter in your life. Everything that can be considered toxic in your life is generally removable, no matter how painful.
  11. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

"Starting a new life" is a more socially-accepted form of getting a life and getting out of your misery. And I think every addict should be looking forward to doing this. You should do something with your life before it's too late, mate.
  12. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

There are always lessons that could be learned from bad experiences which is why regardless of how horrible life has been in the past, I could never really say "I wish I never experienced any of it". I had to go through a lot of growing up before I've come to this realization - I have so many important things in my life now, things that keeps wanting me to improve and become a better person - I wouldn't have have most of it if not for the hardships and the mistakes I've made in the past.
  13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Starting a new life means being able let go of people or things that have caused you pain. It's really difficult, specially when you are at the lowest point in your life, but it's actually a good way to build new foundations. Sooner or later, you'll become stronger and successful.
  14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

A new life to me begins every morning when I wake up. It begins when I kiss my children in the morning and sit down to breakfast with them. A new life for me is not necessarily a crazy epiphany in which some big catalyst changes everything for me. I strive everyday to be better than I was the day before.
  15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Yes, this is indeed the way I helped myself get through tough times when I had them, I told myself that time would pass and things would look up. And they did. I believe that it's true what they say - time heals all wounds. You got to make changes in your life, yourself of course and just let time take its course.
  16. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

Every day is a new beginning. Just pray to the Lord and play the lotto!
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think it is necessary to move on from the people who are dragging you down because you're bound to stay the same if you remain in the same environment. The best way is to try and evolve the right way and to be reminded to take it day by day.
  18. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Exactly this. Doesn't matter how you feel about it; the old crowds will eventually draw you back in. The old people will still be doing their old habits. It's dangerous to expect to live a new life free of worry after coming down off a high level addiction - it takes time, like Charli said - Day to day. Sometimes in those "days" you'll be tempted to use. People still using are definitely not a good help.
  19. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

Depending on the severity of the damage done on the biochemistry of the body, one may or may not recover as easy as other cases. Starting a new life with a new mindset is key. Disposing of the detrimental obstructions of ones previous life, for the opposite. With less addictive drugs merely forgetting about the particular substance can be effective, however replacing drug abuse with productivity is also effective.
  20. lollie

lollie Member

This is currently my phase. Starting a new chapter of your life is a great feeling. Not really starting a new life (because you must appreciate what you endured in order to move forward), but starting new chapters are always good!

What has helped for me is starting a weekly yoga class and craft projects. Both a very soothing and provide a great deal of time to medicate and focus -- balance your life and all of the stress it comes with.

So try starting new chapters! There are so many unlimited possibilities :)