An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Starting anew after losing important things from you!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Apr 4, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

How are you going to start anew when you have lost important things because of your addiction like family relationships and things that contain significant and sentimental value to you? As for me, those loss, I make as inspirations. They have already been lost, and I just thing at the same time that I hope that their loss would not be in vain. I should make something out of them, like losing someone so important to you. If those things are what it took to change me for a better man, then be it. I just hope that I can really live up to the challenge that they pose. And because of the emotion that they give me with their loss, the determination, it should be enough for me to be a man striving to become better.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Be it a consequence of an addiction or something else, fact is we are going to lose things in life. That's just how life is. With relationships though, you must accept that you screwed up. You must then try to make amends. Most people might be willing to forgive you if your apology sounds genuine. The relationships won't be the same but at least that might salvage them.
  3. Smarty

Smarty Active Contributor

It really hurts when you lose someone... Family, friends, loved ones... But what is even more painful is knowing you are the reason they left. Keep in mind, though, that if this is your story, the first thing you should do is stop blaming yourself. Even if the responsibility for what happened is mostly yours, blaming yourself is not going to improve anything. On the contrary, it's much better to focus not on what happened but what will be... and that's entirely in your hands! I am certain that the ones who really love you will forgive you everything. Sure, it might take them some time but this should not discourage you. Try to let it stay in the past and focus on how you are going to be better in the future! It's very painful... but just imagine how much stronger you'll become when you get over it! :)

[​IMG]
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think acceptance is key. Everyone loses things, both addicts and non addicts alike, and it is often how one reacts that is how they are measured. If a former addict is able to adopt an attitude of acceptance then I'd contest he or she is in a much better state than someone who doesn't or has never used substances but is still very uneasy.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

That is a nice outlook and it's great to know that you're now changing yourself for the better for the sake of your loved ones. It would be great to see others adopt the same mindset. There is so much good we can do in this world, but some people waste their time on doing meaningless, self-serving things that breed no lasting fulfillment.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

When you talk about material things that you sold just to sustain your addiction, then of course it's already lost and it can't be recovered again. So just charge it to experience. But when it comes to strained family relationships, I think that it's never too late to make it up to them by apologizing to them and treating them nicely again just like before you became distant.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, nothing is permanent in this world. We lose some, we gain some. It's just the way of life. We just have to know when to start a new journey again without those people whom we thought we would be together with for the rest of our lives. If they want us back, that means they truly love and care for us. If not, so then be it. We just have to learn to accept these kinds of things.
  8. May102014

May102014 Active Contributor

I strongly agree! You shouldn't dwell in the past. Life goes on even after you break-up with a girlfriend or lose your family because of the addiction. The thing should always be concentrating to make yourself better bit by bit. Use the loss as an inspiration and still live your life to the fullest. After all we are put here on earth for a purpose. So be the best that you can and be an inspiration to others!