An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Starting your own group?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 29, 2014.

1. frogsandlegos

frogsandlegos Active Contributor

Has anyone on here ever started through own support group? Do you have any tips and advice?

I know the website www.meetup.com allows users to start groups of any type, and it seems like an easy way to start one.

I've even seen groups such as "sober singles" which is more of a social group.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. Lucy

Lucy Member

I have never started my own support group. However, through the site "Daily Strength" you can create your own online group. That's more for everyone around the world to join though lol. I don't know about starting one up in person.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That seems a good idea, the same can be done on FB, but the best we could do is to start our own group with our group of friends, leaving the addiction at the same time and supporting each others.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

That would be a great idea, especially someone who is a well recovered addict, they would run a good facility, knowing what it feels like to want to recover.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. Gelsemium

I think it's pretty much the idea of our forum, someone that makes it over addiction and wants to give back, wants to help others doing the same.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I know of that site and there are already many groups established in my area because of it, so I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to make one that's more for support than actual activities or hobbies. I've seen many different topics covered so I'm sure this one would be a welcome addition as well especially considering that there are probably a lot of people out there who would love a group but just don't know where to find one.
    Joseph likes this.
  7. Gelsemium

The main thing is to create awareness that groups and forums do exist and that addicts are not alone, there are plenty of ex-addicts willing to reach out and give back.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

When I lived in a very isolated part of the world, a few years ago, I formed a support group for alcohol and drug addicts. We had 5 members who, at the time were at various stages of getting clean. One woman suffered from suicidal depression and an over-eating disorder, while another member had been to jail for being involved in an accident in which he had injured others. He was drunk at the time.
    We came together once a week to sit in a shed and talk about our experiences, fears, progresses, etc. At the time I had already been sober for several years, and wanted to help others with their addiction. We all managed to find new meaning and strength by talking and gardening together, despite of relapses and the occasional tense and highly emotional moments. It was a great learning process for all of us.
    Ashley Hammond and Joseph like this.
  9. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

I was thinking of starting one at one point in my area because of the large number of individuals who are using marijuana . These individuals are very young some of them still in schools, others recently graduated, there is the need for one. I would be there just to talk with them and/share my experiences with them but they would need more than that. It would also require a professional to visit and administer medication or talk with them as well. I am seriously thinking about it because i know the danger that drug use can pose and i do not wish this impact on my community or anywhere else for that matter.
    Joseph likes this.
  10. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

I agree with you Gelsemium about starting a group with your own friends in real-time.

My husband and his high school friends started a diet and exercise group on FB. It is not really a support group for addicts but I just want to share their experience and its limitations on social network.

For starter, they expressed their target weight and the illnesses they wanted to control by eating the right kind of food and engaging in some helpful exercises. At the same time, they wanted to consult each other as to the what not's. There were 2 doctors in the group so it was really a good start. They also aimed to motivate each other. They are on FB because they live far away from one another. It only lasted for a year the most. It fizzled out because not everyone was participating and motivated to diet and exercise. Only 4 out of 10 were actively communicating, the rest were just reading along and not commenting.

If it is on FB, there is not much interaction; thus, encouragement and support is not so visible. Seeing each other is more motivating and personal. Maybe if it is done on FB, short-term group events is all right. Or they should have a get-together once in a while. However, I think this is difficult to do with addiction concerns.
    Joseph likes this.
  11. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I like the idea since it would be easier for guys to be in close contact with each other constantly and regularly.This would promote a tight bond like a close knit family and i guess it would then be much easier to come out of our closets and be honest with our problems and seek advise or help on how to go about it.
    Joseph likes this.
  12. Gelsemium

We can also create events on FB regarding specific goals to achieve or something like that, the important is that we stick together and keep talking, that surely gets us going closer to our goals.
    Joseph likes this.
  13. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

True and some, if not all people have to constantly communicate to really keep the group going. In my husband's and his friends' case, just about 4 did. And those 4, including my husband, were just the only ones following a diet and exercise routine (actually, my husband wasn't religiously into it). In the first place, not all of them committed to it so there lies the loophole. I believe for a group to succeed, everyone should be fully committed and determined to make it work and last. And you're right about the goals setting. I remember during my Uni days, we talked about goals following the SMART technique to make them work. S for specific. M for measurable. A for attainable and T for time bound.
    Joseph likes this.
  14. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Creating your own support group doesn't come without its own challenges. Each member of the group, especially the ones that form it, need to take the group as seriously as an organization that hosts such groups would. Otherwise, it's easy to get distracted or to have unfruitful meetings that get each person nowhere in their personal struggles. Communication and due diligence are key here in order to see some measure of success.
    Joseph likes this.
  15. Gelsemium

That is true, when organizing a group we need to take it seriously and in a responsible way or else the people in that group will not feel confident there and most likely it will not be an active community.
    Joseph likes this.
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I like the idea of using social networks as means to start support groups. Of course, a forum is also good platform, but if you prefer a more intimate and controlled setting, then social networks like Facebook and Twitter will do. Unlike other venues where you can't set your conversation's privacy as you see fit, social networks offer more security for serious and highly sensitive subjects that you don't want to share to the public.
    Joseph likes this.
  17. Gelsemium

The main thing is that we talk about it with someone that has been through the same, the right word in the right time can eventually make all the difference.
    Joseph likes this.
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have thought about youtube videos as a way to reach out to people. I want to tell my life story from birth up to the present. I want to be able to help all people dealing with addiction as well as mental illness. That was my case I was self medicating due to all the emotional damage I couldn't deal with. I stayed drunk just so I could live at least that's what I thought.

Who better to help others then a person who has been there, and overcame their demons. I am a bit scare of revealing all the things that has happened in my life. I have some really dark places that I would have to revisit in order to do this. At the same time I think it would be good for me to open up, maybe it would help others do the same. What do you guys think of the idea?
    Joseph likes this.
  19. Gelsemium

Youtube it's an ok solution, but at the same time I feel it's something somewhat impersonal. This forum format seems something more close, where we can really talk to each others.
  20. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Yes youtube may not be the best place to try, and reach out to people. I am just keeping all my options open at this point.