An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Starting your own group?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 29, 2014.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

I have used Meetup.com and managed to create two groups. They both had a few signups and enough to create some intimate groups. Most of Meetup is for social groups, but wellness groups seem to do very well as well. If you are not a licensed professional, then you probably just want to create a support system for people going through the same thing and Meetup is perfect for that.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I probably will just do this forum. I to have tried creating groups on social media. Didn't do very well so I figure why not use youtube to tell my story. As well as give insight to those who are struggling with both addiction as well as emotional issues. Just encouragement from my stand point. You know if I can do it anyone can sort of thing. I would never try, and come off as a professional with papers to prove it. I'm just someone who has experienced it first hand. I just want them to know if they feel they need help to encourage them to seek it.
    Joseph likes this.
  3. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I've always thought it would be cool to start some sort of group home for teenagers who were coming out of juvy but weren't ready to go home yet, or didn't have a home to go to, but at the same time I know how tough that would be and how much work it would take to ever have it happen!
    Joseph likes this.
  4. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Great idea, a support group for addicts, by addicts. All the centres I go to are helpful, but none of them have any real life experience with drugs or what its like to be addicted. They talk and try to advise but they just dont get it, if you know what I mean.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

I don't really think people should start their own groups unless they really know what they're doing. The human mind is rather fragile, especially in a state of withdrawal. You could end up doing more damage than good, no matter the intentions.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. angel_lou

Good point. I meant groups properly run by ex-addicts that actually have some experience of what they preach. Not actual present users, as you're right, goodness knows what state they would get each other in!
    Joseph likes this.
  7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

True, people who has managed to keep the addiction are in fact the ones with the experience to help others and let's face it, we need that help because it's a hard process.
  8. karmaskeeper

I'm more about telling my own story, and what hell I went through as a child. How it all came to be as it is. I'm not going to ever say do this or that. I can however say in my opinion, because that is what it would be. I just think having a connection by actually living it, and overcoming it is important. Especially to those who have a sincere desire to get clean.
    None of us were born in to this world to become addicts. It was just a matter of certain elements that came to play that set us on course. For me it was being born into a home that had a hateful drunk as a father. For others they could have just been pushed into trying a substance as a teen. We all come from different backgrounds, but we all share the burden of addiction. That being said yes we could relate to one another that is our common thread.
  9. Gelsemium

That is a reality karma, the simple fact that drugs and other bad substances are available for us to ruin our bodies and minds tell a lot of who we are as a race and society.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  10. angel_lou

So what are you saying, that all addicts are like that through bad karma?
  11. karmaskeeper

All I know is what I have lived. I have been on both sides of addiction. I honestly believe that most the addicts I have encountered. Are good people, but some how are broken inside. I have seen it time, and time again. I don't believe anyone is a lost cause. It burns my ass when people don't take the time to see past the outward appearance of someone addicted.
    angel_lou likes this.
  12. angel_lou

Agreed, Karmaskeeper, there's more to an addict than just addiction.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  13. Gelsemium

loool, no, sorry, Karma is the name of karmaskeeper! :D We make our choices that is why we are as we are, we need to make an effort to go in the right direction.
  14. angel_lou

Oh yeah, I get you know, sorry I misunderstood.
  15. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

That seems like a really good idea, I'm going to check out that site. Especially if I can set up unrelated groups, it'd be nice to have other people to talk to even for an unrelated subject. Having more friends to be by your side through dark times can always be helpful.
  16. Gelsemium

The fact is that when we are in a group we are stronger and being stronger we have more chances to defeat the addiction. It's great to have someone we can rely on.
  17. limgina

limgina Member

Addiction is a disease that has cost many people their families, their friends and their livelihoods. While the pain of experiencing the disease that is addiction is profound, many people do not know that there is a real path to recovery and that path begins with a choice. A choice to take one’s life back. So i have create a new Affordable drug and alcohol rehabilitation in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
    Visit our Thailand rehab facility and take your life back today.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  18. Gelsemium

Well done lingina, I think that they keyword there is the affordable part, one should have help if one needs help, it's hard enough as it is without help.
  19. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I think this forum is a great support group in itself. It has improved thousands of people's lives. But if you ever start your own group, make sure to count me in! ;)
  20. Gelsemium

I can't say enough good things about this community that is true, but ultimately all we want is for people to improve and get rid of the addictions so creating a group has all it takes to lead us in that direction.