An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Starting your own group?

Discussion in 'Other Recovery Support Groups' started by frogsandlegos, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I've not started one. I'd like to. One for people who can't get rid of their ex that is stalking them. Normal people make mistakes with reading the signs for someone who would eventually act like this. What to do when breaking it off and how to handle their inability to let go properly. There is a right way and a wrong way to let go of someone who is obsessive and problematic.
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Sorry to hear of this that sounds so scary. Thank god I've never had a relationship that reached the point of stalker. I could see where a group could help both not the same group of course. There are people out there that are mentally unstable, and rejection is in their minds a personal attack. Good luck with this I hope he will finally go away peacefully.
  3. recovered

recovered Member

I think bringing in a professional is a great idea. Most kids if in an environment where they are forced to listed to a professional won't seek the help they need so maybe integrate the professional in a casual setting. When dealing with any kind of addiction or substance abuse being in a judgement free and safe area is key to success. I am curious how it turns out and if successful maybe integrating the same type of support groups around the country.
  4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

I have never started my own support group, though I am always open to offer my support. However meet up is a good way to start with.

I believe that you might also get help from established groups, in example Alcoholics Anonymous to tell you how to get it started, and because you might eventually need to link your group with other groups to allow your members go over there if in need of specialized help, or receive people from those groups that could feel better in a smaller groups as probably will be yours at startup.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I haven't done this just yet but I have been considering starting a similar type of group for quite a while now. The recovery group I'm thinking of starting up wouldn't be for recovery from substance abuse though. It would be for those recovering from narcissistic abuse - I already have a related page with 850+ followers. Perhaps a substance abuse recovery group would be an idea in the future if this one turns out successful.
  6. juno

juno Community Champion

Most recovery group programs have the option to start your own group if you are recovering yourself. I know programs like over eaters anonymous have the option to start a group directly on their website. That way people going to the website will know that your group exits, if they are looking for something in your area. Meetup is also good for free groups, however the turn up is not always good at the meetings, even if you get a lot of people to join.
  7. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Never heard of people formally starting this. Usually, I either see my closed ones going to established places, so that they have rules and people to "answer to", and relying to each other informally for support -- but never quite mixing up both. I'm curious about it.
  8. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have joined groups in the social media and what I realised is that most of us are never serious with what we share there. There are those who join groups to just meet and they are not ready to do as per their discussions. Groups can really be helpful since you can openly ask any question and get answers.
  9. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I've asked my mom about this before, starting it the old fashioned way, but a lot time, money and patience is needed for that. I liked the meetup idea though, I think you can start those meetings online, then take it to the next step by inviting the members to join you somewhere. That sounds like a better idea to me, I might start my own support group for people living with a cavernoma.