An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stay away from people who deals with drugs...

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by whitenoise, May 29, 2015.

1. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

Guys this might be obvious but I guess it's not, especially if you are just out of a rehab. I had friends that when they fully recovered they didn't manage to let the "poisonous friendship" break and basically what they did was to fall again under the wing's addiction... if you have any friend that is involved and still deals with drugs do not let him to make you an addicted anymore...
  2. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Some people think they can "save" their friends from that lifestyle as well, but if you are still in the recovery process, you are not strong enough to put yourself in that situation yet. Nobody can "save" another addict until that person decides for themselves to make a change. You can be an influence on their thoughts without being around them by staying strong and living right.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

Whether users of pushers, it is very unhealthy to be associate with people related to drugs. As what my mother used to say when my big brother was hooked on street cocaine - it is your friends that matter most in your lifestyle. And I guess she was right because I had been a successful student and got a good job because of my association with good and decent people.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I think that it's vital to break unhealthy relationships if you are looking to get sober. I know so many people that got addicted again just because their friends consumed substances.
    Some people remain friends with addicts only because they think their friends will also get clean too. That's very wrong and it could cause troubles.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. For some it is just too easy to fall back into old ways especially if the friends they hang out with are less concerned about the goals of the person to stay sober. I think it's important to pinpoint exactly what and who triggers the emotions that lead to usage and addiction so you could better avoid the people who cause you stress, regardless of whether they drink and do drugs, because sometimes even the sober ones also prove to be toxic and they are a little more dangerous in my opinion because their contribution is a lot more subtle even though it can be the most potent.
  6. 6up

6up Community Champion

That is the first precaution to stop using drugs. Friends can lure you into using drugs. You can get yourself busy somewhere as an excuse. Try you best and avoid them.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That goes without saying. Why would you still associate yourself with druggy friends? That's asking for a relapse. If you want sobriety to work you need to stay away from trouble and bad influences.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Of course, if you want to lead a happy, drug-free life, don't ever make friends with drug addicts unless you know how to control yourself once temptations have gotten high.
  9. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

This is very important when a person is trying to change their life around. I have seen people who are in the process or have changed their life around, once they begin to hang around that negative influence they end up going right back to doing what they used to.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right. You should really avoid these people who can influence you to go bad to your bad vices. Specially if you cannot manage to say No or to control yourself. Better to be surrounded with people who can inspire you.
  11. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Absolutely agreed. It can sometimes be difficult to let people go, but if they live a lifestyle you’re trying to rid yourself of, it’s better to distance yourself. Do your best to find different, more positive influences.
  12. I am married to an addict and finally after 10 years we are divorcing over this issue. He has been up and down with it and one thing I have noticed is that he has greater success if he completely stays away from people who do drugs. I always know when he starts hanging out with old friends that eventually he will start using again.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Sometimes you really do need to cut off the 'dead wood' for lack of a better term, I guess. I've had friends that did nothing but enable - and I guess then they don't really meet the definition of friend. These days I try to surround myself with people that lift me up, and encourage me to be the best version of me that I can. I don't want friends that are only going to end up making me head down the wrong path - it does make you wonder if they're true friends, right?
  14. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Well, the basic thumb rule is, "Avoid bad company". It's the reason, why you feel into the gorge in the first place. Why do you want to visit the problem place again? It's simple common sense. Life is more beautiful than doing mere drugs and to discover the joys of life, one must stay away from substance abuse.
  15. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Those who deal drugs aren't the only ones recovering addicts should stay away from.

Someone I know who'd been jailed after committing a crime came out of prison "clean". But he made one mistake. He thought he could convince his friends to stop abusing drugs. He'd argue with them daily trying to convince them otherwise. Guess what happened eventually? He decided to join the team he couldn't beat.

Keep only the friends who won't make it any harder for you to forget the past [and the addiction] no matter how long you've stayed clean.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's why it's important to cut ties with the people who are still doing drugs, because there is a huge possibility that they will just drag you down and contribute to your relapse. Never associate with such people again if you're a recovering addict.
  17. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

It can be a tough choice, we often want to help that person so we stay in their life to offer support and hope they turn it around. That can be emotionally draining as well as might pull you into their lifestyle.
    Only people who WANT to get clean are worth keeping in your life, the rest will just drag you down.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

No you might not be able to save people. You can love them and inspire them by being a source of a good example. I find that psychological issues are ten times harder to tolerate than drugs ever thought of being. Issues of the psyche are so deeply engrained in someone's whole being. I'm talking about psychopaths and narcissists. These people are just ridiculous. I guess if we put the two together this might be a problem.
    Dealers that I've come across are so easy to deal with. They are making money, they don't care. I guess that would have to do with the fact that I could care less about what they are selling. People that sell majority of the time don't have a problem themselves. They are too busy making money. I don't condone what they do. They are not the problem, it's the drug itself.
  19. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I hate dealers. They feed on people who find themselves weak. Those kinds of people really need to look at themselves. Anyone who doesnt trust themselve with drugs needs to rid themselves of destructive people
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Dealers, if they are selling something dangerous, are really just cretins making money and flourishing off of other people and their addictions. That's scum-like.