An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Staying Home

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by JoshPosh, Feb 24, 2015.

1. oleskool

oleskool Member

Solitude is not a way to live a meaningful life. You do need time alone to learn yourself better and to hear divine order talking to you but you do not want to avoid interacting with people your whole life, laughing with others and having good times is life.
  2. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Provided that you have no access to more alcohol or drugs, then yes, it definitely could be a viable alternative to all the sober programs out there. But what if you start replacing the lack of social contact with substances anyway? Couldn't this backfire? I'm not too sure this is the best option but if it works for you, then I'm all for it. Hopefully you're a strong lad and this won't be an issue for you.
  3. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

Some people are just more geared to being alone. The solitude can sometimes be the only real peace and relaxation someone gets.
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

Well, I think it pretty much depends on the nature of an individual. Each one of us different. Some are outspoken, while some keep things unto themselves. For me, personally staying all through the day in the house is boring and I might just try to light up a cigarette or start a drinking session, just to beat boredom. I feel, staying occupied is the best medicine, what they call as occupational therapy. I'll not stay home, unless I'm too tired and feel like relaxing.
  5. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Staying home and staying away from bad influences is really a good solution. If you come to think of it, it is really that simple. Although it's easier said than done sometimes.
  6. Jericho Mercado

Jericho Mercado Active Contributor

I avoid drugs and alcohol by avoiding social gatherings where those things tend to gravitate. I make conscious decisions to avoid becoming associated with people who enjoy those environments as a need to socialize. I do agree that staying home is safe and effective but I know this will be difficult for many. I do make it a point to stay home during holidays that are celebrated with heavy drinking for the simple fact of avoiding drunk drivers.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

I think what you are creating for yourself is a safe mindful and meditatve environment. That is a very healthy choice. However, you need to be able to get out and exist in public without needing to use. So, building up willpower has to be practiced by letting yourself out little by little.
  8. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

For me, that approach works - if I keep temptation out of the house, and I'm alone then I tend to be fine.
    I know for others though the loneliness of being home by themselves is enough to push them to their addictions all over again. I guess it's a fine line and it really does depend on the individual and their personality.
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I think what the OP is saying that if you are not at work, and not buying groceries, you should just stay home. don't pick up the phone if yo know its your friends calling on a friday night wanting to go out and drink. That's how I interpret what he is talking about.
  10. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I did that when I stopped drinking, I virtually never went out and was on my own as much as possible, I was lonely and sad a lot but it was what I needed and I got through it by myself. It is only really effective for people that are comfortable being alone, not everyone is and the loneliness is upsetting at times.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I also like to stay home and work. I had so much time of going out and partying in my past. I don't ever want to go there again. Staying home is a very good idea for those who are at the beginning stage of giving up on their addiction. It will help you break habits and get in control of yourself.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a good way of course. I've done that. The only problem with it is it's called isolation. Lol I love it but overall in the long run because it separates you it is said to be bad for you. I do it from time to time. It saves money and makes you feel better. Eventually you engage with other people. I think it's good.
    I know this guy, well I don't know him anymore. He was like this fake extrovert always pretending. Couldn't spend a moment by himself. If he did he was contemplating some kind of delusional thinking that made him insecure with personal things. It is good to learn to be comfortable with yourself. This guy was not and he always thought someone was out to screw him over. He'd date a girl, but never ask for her to be his girlfriend. He would be pissed off when he found out she was with someone else. Didn't get the basics of dating. I mean dating in america is pretty easy and some people want to make it complicated.
    Isolation and learning self control is a good tool to have in life. This way when you see a person like this in action. You can really see how self sabotaging they really are.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

I think this is something that could work for me. I don't mind solitude but I realize that others could go crazy if they were left alone. Perhaps this would only work with certain types of substance abusers but not for the majority. I think it's still important to interact with others and be within a positive social environment when in the process of recovery.
  14. tinception

tinception Member

I think it depends on the kind of personality you have. If you're someone who is comfortable with solitude, then staying at home would be a safe bet. I am an introvert so I tend to get drained by people easily. I prefer to be alone with my thoughts so that I can regroup and think things through. The more I get distracted by other people and activities, the more I feel disconnected with myself. Plus, I'd only get pressured into doing "socially acceptable" things when with a group though I've learned to control my drinking now.

However, if you're someone who gains energy by interacting with people, I don't think that totally cutting off one's self from the world would be great especially when you're in a fragile state of mind. It really depends on how we cope with problems.
  15. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have so much to do at home that I normally do not even notice how long I isolate myself from other people. Between cooking, cleaning, hobbies, and taking care of kids, I am normally quite content being home and being safe.
  16. juno

juno Community Champion

I think staying at home and keeping to yourself is a good strategy for avoiding the negative influences that are out there. However, I think in the long run, you also need to learn to cope and resist situations. Increasing willpower is part of the process, so that you can live a healthy and normal life rather than be confined to your home. However, I think initially it is a very good idea to avoid temptations and fallbacks, and in general you should always make alone time for yourself.
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Too much solitude can be a bad thing and can turn you into a hermit. I agree with @juno in that you have to learn how to cope with sobriety in the outside world. It is about making good choices. Hit up the local library, a coffee shop, or even do a little shopping. All of these are extremely low risk activities.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

It depends on the person, there are people who get bored really easily and that can be a tigger from them to start consuming drugs/alcohol, so I think that it may be good staying at home, but just make sure that you are not going to get bored. But I guess that it can work for s lot of people, is a good way to be in touch with yourself.
  19. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

I think we as human beings need balance so isolation for an addict can at times be a dangerous thing. Too much idle time for you to be inside your head is not always a good thing. However if you are in a healed place in your life and you choose to have alone time, then that is a very healthy type of thing to read, write, create and grow. Just be sure you are not isolating for the wrong reasons as it can keep you away from a lot of joy.

Being with other amazing people is a wonderful way to grow and learn many new things as well. There are so many fun things you can do that do not involve any type of drugs or alcohol. Seek out those things and LIVE!
  20. Whiskers

Whiskers Active Contributor

That could work for some but certainly not for all. I can see where you are coming from as you wish to block out anything that might lure you back though. However there are those like me who feel the urge to go out and socialize as a way of building up ourselves.