An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Staying positive works.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Nancy D., Apr 20, 2016.

1. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

I have found that many of our problems can be solved by just deciding to wake up and just try to be positive. Having positive thoughts and actions towards others helps us and often times feels pretty good at the end of the day. The people who help us the most, we should give them a better us. After all we all need support in our everyday lives.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I definitely think mindset plays a big part in things. Sometimes it's hard to choose to be positive (I know sometimes my inner voice is very stubborn and just wants to stay negative) but when I do really try to make a conscious effort to look at the world through more positive eyes, things start to look up.

I will say though that in times where I have really battled depression/anxiety it hasn't been as easy as simply looking at things differently - there was more to it than that - so that's also important to remember. If you've been feeling down for a really long time it might be worth talking to a professional. <3
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There's glory in pursuing positivity and good vibes. I've long since realized that a number of things in this life are beyond our control and comprehension. Rather than be fatalistic or worry ourselves with negative thoughts, it pays to stay grounded and believe that no matter how bad things are, they're not going to last forever and better days will always come.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

You are right @Nancy D. Staying positive drives us to achieving more than we have ever tried to achieve without that mindset. It can be challenging having a positive mind when surrounded with major problems but it works like a magic wand.

When we tune our mind on positive things, positive waves are attracted to us from the universe and reveals solutions and answers to us.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Yeah. I agree. But sometimes it's just so hard to keep a positive outlook on life especially if it's throwing you a curve ball most of the time. It's good to be positive but it also helps to have a realistic view on things so that when problem arises, we're ready to tackle it head on.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I try to stay positive most of the time. It helps that I have a son who's always such a positive and happy little kid. But at times, I struggle with being positive just because of problems and stresses. And it's even harder when I take it on other people, my son, my husband, my mother... Just about anyone I care about. They inspire me to be positive but at the same time, they're the people who I hurt every time I have issues with my life. And it makes me so guilty whenever I do this because I know none of this is their fault.

Whenever I feel sad or just become fed up with problems, I try to distance myself from the people I love. As much as they are the sunlight in my life, I can be the rain in their lives and mine as well. I don't want people being hurt all because of what I do or say. I want to be a positive person.. But that's not always the case. There will be times that positivity can leave and you're bound by negativity.

You're the one who chooses however, if this negativity will stay forever. Yes, you can be sad for a few days or hours... But don't let it consume you. After all, life is better lived when you have a positive attitude.
    Mara likes this.
  7. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

You've definitely got the right idea. Most, if not all, of the 12 step groups have in their Suggested Opening: "Changed attitudes can aid recovery." There's also a non-recovery slogan: "Attitudes are contagious. Is yours worth catching?" Another recovery slogan states, "You can start your day over at any time." The power of positive thinking has made many motivational speakers wealthy, because it's what we can all benefit from doing more of. We crave it. And it, like prayer, does change things. Wishing you all many positive thoughts, feelings and experiences this beautiful day! :)
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is right. Staying positive or having a positive mind can make things better. It will give us more hope and makes us feel more motivated in reaching our goals in life in general. Will also give more energy and excitement to face new things.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, a lot of us are used to see things on the negative way, waiting for periods of time finish the soon as possible without asking to ourselves if we are really enjoying them, sometimes we need to stop and think about our attitude a little bit more before starting to complain about how bad things are going.
  10. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

It seriously does! Sometimes if you can challenge yourself to look at the silver lining no matter how small it is, it can be very freeing. After a while, even negative things are positives. My dad always says, "Stay in the present, things that are bad might be horrible right now, but who knows how things might turn out. Sometimes things you think are bad are actually good things."
  11. CryingCanary

CryingCanary Active Contributor

I can vouch that this works. Even though I usually don't even have the energy to TRY and be positive I force myself to in a way, and that has helped me a lot in the long run.

To everyone struggling to stay positive, hang in there! Try not to feel upset if you just can't feel positive, it can happen and that's totally fine. Take some time to regain yourself. Drink some water, relax yourself and most importantly don't forget: BABY STEPS!
  12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

As much as I'd love to stay positive, it is not always possible. My brain tells me to continue to spark my positivity, but there's always something that comes up to trigger my anger. I tend to hold onto things very easily. I am angered by very small situations, so remaining positive is very hard for me. I can vouch for positivity, though. When you remain positive and try to keep a good attitude, good things happen.
  13. marydawn

marydawn Administrator Community Listener

There is so much power in positivity. While it may come natural for some, it isn't as easy for others. One thing I like to do, is a set a reminder on my phone every night at 9PM that says, "What 3 things are you grateful for today?"

It's made a huge impact on the way I view my life and is a great way to unwind from the day.
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

That's a great exercise, @marydawn. I think I'm going to start doing that, too! Thanks for sharing!