An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Staying Positive

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by crc3thebest, Nov 27, 2015.

1. crc3thebest

crc3thebest Community Champion

When faced with difficult choices in life it can be hard to stay positive. The best advice I could give is stay active and diligently dedicate yourself to building a positive attitude and helping others. Some times we dig a grave and forget how to dig ourselves out. A key reason is our inability to try harder to understand ourselves and others. When we our not empathetic of ourselves and others feelings, life becomes harder. Entirely, it is like baking a cake and forgetting the eggs. Every essential part of understanding and cooperation is needed to build relationships with one another. I know it is hard work, but the results are endless.
    kgord likes this.
  2. iga

iga Member

That's well said, and I agree completely. I forget who said "No man is an island" but it stands true, especially going through something like this. It's much easier to clear the haze and see the world again when you realize there's support everywhere to give you something worthwhile seeing in the first place.
  3. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

Thank you for the post! :)
    I try to occupy myself as much as possible, with productive and fulfilling activities that make me feel like I am progressing, as well as spending quality time with my close people. Sometimes the negative thoughts slip back up, but I guess that is inevitable.
  4. artyarson

artyarson Active Contributor

There's a saying. If you think you can - you can, If you think you can't - you can't. Pretty much that's it!
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You are right that staying positive all the time is not easy especially on really down moments. But it is important to still have hope and try to see things on the brighter or better side of all of it. It will be the power of the mind.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think that is a very insightful and honest post Crc3. I think we need to understand our own ambivalence and not get down on ourself for feeling the way we do. Sometimes we really have to pscyh ourselfves into action. We have to love ourselves first before we can truly love others.
  7. xeylonfm

xeylonfm Member

Life in the recent past has really been tough for me all through. I have had some qualms with my father and my economic situation has really been sorry at best and I remember there were times when I could reflect on the state I was in and literally sink in my own heart. It all looked dark and shady in key areas of my life. I got some positivity from my girlfriend and she helped me build that lively and vibrant spirit and I must say life just changed. I look at situations differently these days. There is so much evil and hatred and jealousy and theft and bad spirit all over but I settle down and sift through all inside my head and stay optimistic in everything I do, everyone I meet and every other situation that I come across. I refuse to be sad, I refuse to be weak, I refuse to be economically low, I refuse to be the one that carries the junk for everyone around me and I refuse to slip back into all this mess. Every day I wake up I say, I AM SUCCESSFUL, AND EVERYTHING SHALL BE BRIGHT! I try to smile and laugh a little bit to jiggle and keep my spirit lively because I really need that positivity. I would love my children to come to an optimistic and vibrant father and tell of how they have been, then fall in the arms of their mama talking of how great they will become. This is positivity and I will stay in that realm and never leave no matter how dark it becomes. I will smile when there is sorrow!
  8. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Good points. I actually feel so bothered by my mom's lack of empathy, I wish she could actually think about the fact that how she talks to me sometimes does affect me, specially now that I am depressed again. I always try to be emphatic to her, don't yell at her like she does, but somehow I always end up yelling when she starts yelling at me. I'm trying to stay positive though.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I couldn't agree more with you. Staying positive in difficult situations is probably hard to do, but that's the most ideal thing. We can never gain anything from being negative anyway, so why not just look at the bright side of things, right?
  10. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Makes sense to me. @crc3thebest, this is yet another timely post. Positive think and empathy go a long way with addiction and life in general.
  11. 6up

6up Community Champion

We can avoid stress only by living positively. Stress can make someone start taking alcohol and other drugs. We should avoid friends who don't have positive minds. We must never give up when our projects stall. We are supposed to ask for advice from family members or friends. To live positively, we are also supposed to read motivational materials and watch movies that can motivate us.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

How timely. How very timely. I am at this particular time feeling very overwhelmed faced with some very difficult decisions. Trying to remain positive is difficult at times but it's usually the only way to make it in these difficult times.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There are lots of benefits of being positive. If you are positive,
    you are less likely to have psychological disorders
    you are always happy
    people will love you.
  14. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Yes, staying positive during the hard times is pretty much the only good choice that we have, because basking in negativity will only bring you down and depress you even more. So even if it's hard, try to be optimistic at all times.