An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Staying sober during the holidays

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by RingoBerry, Feb 10, 2015.

1. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

As a recovering addict, how many times have you said the word "NO" while attending a celebration specially during the holidays? I know that some would give in thinking "just a little bit is okay since its a special occasion" or "I don't want them to think I'm a snob" etc... Its quite understandable and some reason may even be a little acceptable BUT entering sobriety is a commitment. No excuses. So do check the link I provided below, its a short helpful article to help keep ourselves in check during the holidays.

Read Here:
    Five Tips For Staying Sober During The Holidays
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. fruitdrank

fruitdrank Member

I appreciate you sharing this! The whole coming-togetherness can be a bit overwhelming for me, as an introvert, and a little sauce has always helped lubricate my social machinery.

Once people start drinking, the noise and commotion that gets raised can be overwhelming as well. I do my best to arrive early to functions so that way I can socialize with people as they come in and before they start drinking. Once the main festivities are over and the real drinking begins is when I make my exit. After that I'm free to relax and unwind the rest of the night!
    RingoBerry likes this.
  3. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Glad people appreciates simple things like this. I hope more people find it helpful!
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Simple things are often all we need for comfort!
  5. awesomeaniruddh

awesomeaniruddh Active Contributor

Appreciate the link. We really need to learn to say no. Our brain is always tricking and playing games with us, tantalising us, but we have to have a strong resolve and learn to say NO.
    Another tip, as has been discussed on this forum is to keep yourself occupied. When visiting parties, talk to people, and some keep yourself busy. And stay away from the booze.
  6. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I think you can always have a good time without booze too. Parties are not all about alcohol.
  7. fruitdrank

fruitdrank Member

Yeah, but just to play devil's advocate, a lot of people have social anxiety to some degree. It's a little nerve-wracking to be in a room full of people you don't know. Some people thrive off that, but a lot don't. Is social interactions are a machine, than alcohol acts as a lubricant.