An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

staying sober is tough

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kylekur2, Jan 16, 2015.

1. kylekur2

kylekur2 Member

My best advice for those who want to stay clean and sober is to stay away from it completely. Meaning that if you're around people who are doing it, remove yourself from the situation. I know it's easier said then done, but it's something you have to do, or you will relapse most likely.
    notodrugs likes this.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

It's advice that everyone knows and tries to follow, but it's difficult. It's something that's so obvious that plenty of people find it the most challenging thing to do. If you can't get away from a given drug or users of the drug, then your chances of avoiding a relapse are incredibly slim.
  3. JonMark

JonMark Active Contributor

Yeah I don't know about that kind of certainty. I think that people's priorities change at certain times of their live. They might simply have to tire from it and fall out of the habit. Of course, it's different for everyone and I'm still not sure that staying away from it is properly taught? If you know what I mean? For instance, people might chew on straws to get out of the habit of smoking, which I guess works for certain people. But then there are those who continue to get the urge but haven't dealt with it appropriately to fully understand their addiction. They just do it to get by, hoping it will run its course?
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Most of the time, the bad habits we try and correct are often associated with the people we are around while in that habit. It doesn't necessarily mean that they themselves use the substances too but sometimes they are just the type of people that drive others to do it for one reason or another such as giving you the feeling of anxiety and uncertainty whether they consciously do it or not.
  5. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

It definitely is tough to stay sober. It's especially tough when everybody is doing drugs around you, and it is constantly thrown in your face in one way or another. I think being tougher than your addiction (s) is key.
    notodrugs likes this.
  6. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

You're right LitoLawless. There is no other way to avoid addiction but to be tougher than it. Look at it as a challenge for you to overcome it. It may be difficult but try to rise above our situation. At the end of the day, it is your decision to stop and avoid it that really helps you put an end to it all.

I agree kylekur2. I've read a lot of true stories about avoiding social encounters that bring them disastrous affairs with drugs, alcohol and even smoking. It is tough but it really has to be done. It is especially tough for those taunted because they're withdrawing from the group who used to be their closest allies. But come to think of it, if they were your allies, they would not have done you harm.
  7. goldenmaine

goldenmaine Active Contributor

I agree. It is difficult to maintain your improvement in recovery and being sober when you are still with the same group of people that influenced and lead you to substance abuse. A good solution to this is to make new friends who are good influences and share the same passion and goals of trying to achieve a healthy recovery. It is hard to leave the past behind, but it is needed in order to have a better future and take the next step in moving forward.
  8. kwoodard902

kwoodard902 Member

Once you have been hooked on a any type of drug, staying sober can be the hardest thing you have ever done. first you have to want it for you. You can't be sober and stay sober if your being surrounded by it. And once you get sober and stay sober, you cant' let your self be drawn in by those old friends. Find some new people to enjoy your clean sober life with.
  9. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Do what I do. Just stay home and relax and take care of yourself first. Eventually you have to go out. But grocery shopping should entail a trip to your local pub.
  10. jmiranda38

jmiranda38 Member

I remember my mom used to always tell me, "Show me your friends and I can show you your future." When she would tell me this, I never believed her. But now I see that to be true. Hanging out with people who participate in your addiction will only tempt you to participate in it as well. Surround yourself with positive people and people who have the same goal as yours.
  11. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If it's possible, the right thing to do when you've stopped abusing a substance is to move away. Away from everyone and everything. This gives you the chance to start over anew. You find in friends in the right places, say a church, acquire new habits that will take over from substance abuse and this just might help keep you "grounded."
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

From everything I have read and heard, it's difficult but not impossible. Removing yourself from the situation has been proven to help in many of the stories shared.

Addiction seems to come into the ring with a clear advantage being the bigger and seemingly stronger opponent but even when the odds are against you, you can still win the fight.
  13. juno

juno Community Champion

There is no doubt that staying sober is tough. If you get yourself into such a predicament, it is probably the toughest thing you will have to battle all your life. That is why it is vital to take measures to make things easier on yourself and your life. Removing yourself from others who use is a good start.
  14. 6up

6up Community Champion

Just have something to do, don't be idle at most times. An idle mind is the devil's workshop. At last you will find that you do not have the time to drink.
  15. Dehmar

Dehmar Member

I have people give me advice on how to get sober and stay sober. Most was not helpful but one really stick to me. That is to give yourself a reason to stay sober apart from yourself. Chances are if you are trying to get sober for your own benefit it will not work. You need someone or something to motivate you, to give you a push in the right direction. My motivation was school and my family. My constant partying and greatly impacted both and I was given a choice my family and school or drinking. That gave me the nudge I needed to get on my way to recovery. I still party from time to time though but not as often as I used to, and when I do i hardly drink.
  16. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Thankfully, I've never had a drink problem but I imagine staying sober must be one of the hardest things in the world. Alcohol is available everywhere, it's like a social norm so the temptation must be terrible. It was bad enough staying away from parties and clubs when I was getting clean but to have this temptation crop up in everyday situations all the time must really take some strength.
  17. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

I agree, it is tough. Completely distancing yourself from friends or even family will be one of the hardest decisions one can face in life. Quitting and staying sober take discipline, but in the end, you will feel successful. My advice is to never give up. No matter how tough the situation might be.