An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Staying strong during treatment

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Faygo1224, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I know that treatment can be one of the most difficult things to do. From experience, my most hopeless moments were while I was being treated. Ice gathered a few tips that may help you during treatment.

1.Stay focused!- though times may get hard, keep your mind on what you're there for.

2.Reach out- we sometimes can get overwhelmed with things on our own. Sometimes it's good to reach out to someone and just vent.

3.Stay active- physical activity is known to relieve stress.

4. Spirituality- during difficult times, it helps to turn to your spirituality to gain some insight.

5. Eat right- that old saying " you are what you eat" is true on so many levels. Nourish your body with food that is good for you so it can exude on the outside.

This is a small list but I hope this helps someone!*
    jeremy2 likes this.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

I like this list alot. Just staying focused can be hard because sometimes people can be a distraction. Then we are so focused on one problem we neglect our health and eating/ exercise habits go down the drain.
  3. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

May i also mention that its important that you keep the right company among your circle of friends. During treatment its vital that you surround yourself with the right company who can encourage you and give you uplifting advice. You certainly don't need anyone who exudes negative energy around you as this might have the effect of making you loose focus on what you went there to do.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The best item on the list is remembering to eat healthy. If you eat a bunch of junk food in treatment you will wind up with other health issues. Fresh food tastes good and is good for you. This is a great time to explore and experiment with new food so you have something to look forward to.
  5. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing this list! All five are necessary for maintaining a positive attitude during treatment and detox. I would emphasize that being focused and having a supportive community are the most important factors for keeping one in rehab and staying clean afterwards.
  6. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

Thanks for your consideration, and thanks for sharing. Those were all fruitful pointers and I will be sure to apply them, looking optimistically into the future for a change. Spirituality on the list is one of the most helpful one for me thus far. I can attest to that, no pretense.
  7. kmars

kmars Active Contributor

Yes, it lies within striking a balance. You must not be in isolation, but at the same time you should not over socialize. Don't get too indulgent that you lose yourself and your recovery.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Your list has pretty good ideas on it. I know being spiritually based is the biggest help, putting God first will cause everything to fall into place. Eating healthy has always made me feel better when feeling drained or down. Staying strong is worth it because it pays off in the end. Thanks for the advice.
  9. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

You must also surround yourself with people that have a positive mind towards your recovery. This is very important during treatment. The strength and courage you get from your family and friends cannot be bought.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Another thing that would help is setting realistic goals. Staying off drugs for a year for example could be pretty hard for anyone who has just stopped using drugs.

What would work better instead is to focus on the present. You want to be stay clean NOW. This minute. It's easier to resist cravings if you set such small goals. Stay clean and sober for an hour. And another hour. And another . ... before you know it, you'll have achieved your long term goal.
  11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think that's a great of list of what every struggling addict should do during recovery. Well, I highly agree with spirituality. I think having faith in God and having a personal relationship with Him could totally help you a lot in getting back on track.
  12. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Having a list to try and tick off everyday also helps you to focus on doing the next thing you need to do.

Just coping with day to day living can be a struggle sometimes without having to try and remember to look after yourself and stay strong aswell. Writing it down and making sure you do what's on your list for that day gives the focus and also a sense of achievement when you're done.