An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

stealing prescriptions

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by scoops93, Feb 19, 2016.

1. scoops93

scoops93 Member

My boyfriend is stealing my prescription medication. I have not actually witnessed him doing so, but seeing as him and I are the only two that know what I have its pretty obvious... I just got a Rx 2 days ago and ten are already missing besides the one* I have taken and he's been the only one around me since I have gotten it. We've only been together four months and this just started late January... Do I confront him about it? If so, what do I say or ask? Or do I just start locking it up and let it slide?
  2. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry this is happening. For me, in a new relationship... I would probably just break up with him. I know that sounds harsh but if he's doing drugs and going behind your back already, I'd rather get out before the problems got bigger. Definitely would NOT let it slide but having known many people who have stolen prescriptions, I am guessing you are not likely to get an honest answer from him. So sorry about this.
    ToKenbetrue likes this.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a tricky one. If he's stealing your medicine you need solid proof. Maybe you should lock it up for now, if he's really addicted to your medicine he may get mad about you doing that, then you'll know it's him. Don't jump to conclusions just lock the stuff up.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I second what GettingBetter suggests. Even if you love him, it may be a better choice to find somebody who is open to you and honest. Not only is stealing an activity one shouldn't condone, but the addiction to prescription drugs may rub off on you and progress to something worse. Tsky45's suggestion is one you should consider too. He won't go to prison forever for such a crime and it may teach your boyfriend what is right and what is wrong. It's a good way to potentially come clean too. When he gets out of prison he will acknowledge what he didn't have and perhaps be more open to you and try his best to make you happy.
  5. Min

Min Active Contributor

I agree with TSKY45. You need proof - if not of his actions, then of his intentions. In other words, you don't actually need to find him stealing your pills, but if you make them impossible for him to get to and see his reaction you'll have proof of his intentions. Then, rather than "confront" him in an angry manner I think you need to discuss it rationally. Why is he dependent on your medication? Is it because of a larger issue? The underlying cause may be addiction, or it may be something else. You should find out what is actually going on before jumping to conclusions. Again, his reactions will tell you what you need to know. If he becomes belligerent and clams up you will have a good idea of what's going on. Either way, investigate before making a rash decision. Not because he's your boyfriend but because he's a person who deserves to be given a chance to explain his side.
  6. yaitsjonny

yaitsjonny Member

As mentioned above, you need to get proof of it before any kind of confrontation takes place. Perhaps you can trap him, specifically leaving out a certain amount of your prescription to go "missing". Regardless of whether you catch him or not, the relationship that you have with him is toxic, and would not end well whether or not you resolve this matter.
  7. remnant

remnant Community Champion

You should try to get to the bottom of the addiction with sympathy and understanding. He could be suffering from an underlying addiction to either the prescription drugs in question or from something else which makes him to steal your drugs as a way of compensation.
  8. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I would not confront him if I were you @scoops93 but merely lock up my drugs somewhere safe and watch what he may steal next (if any) before asking him directly the reasons for his actions.
  9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

I think it may be a good idea to confront him about it then you could probably find out if he has an addiction problem. If he has a problem then you could be in a position to urge him to seek help.
  10. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I would steal my stepdads Vicodin when I was younger. I would get a rush just from stealing it and then another rush from taking it while I was at work. Then I kept seeing how the bottle got emptier and emptier. Turns out my sister was taking some pills too and it wasn't just all me depleting it.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I would confront him. YOu are only 4 months into this relationship. This sounds like a deal breaker to me. Do you really want to be dealing with someone who has an addiction problem? I say save yourself. Unless he spilled the bottle or something accidentally..and you have no other reason to be suspicious I would let him go. LIfe is too short.
  12. @darkrebelchild has a point. Confronting him could be bad as it is good depending on the type of person he is. I'd definitely lock it up or make it to where he has to really try hard to steal while getting noticed in the process. Or hopefully, quit all together.

Now if he were tries to go even harder than he was before.. that's when you confront him. Draw a line in the sand and ask him who's more important.
  13. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Terrible to hear about your predicament. It really sucks that you've met someone you want to be with, and he is stealing your stuff after only being together for 4 months. I believe that you should confront him about this issue, but just be tactful about it.
  14. Elysia

Elysia Member

I'm so sorry you are in this situation. I, myself, have stolen a lot of narcotic meds from people and its awful because they obviously need it and I wanted to get high. For starters, I would definitely lock up the meds, you could get a lock box that he can't get into. I know people have said not to confront him, but with only him living there, its obvious. Maybe you could just say "hey, you know I just filled this and 10 are missing, do you know what happened to them?" He will deny taking them. But just to ensure you have your meds definitely lock them up.
    Let us know how it goes.