An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stealing

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by sunflogun, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have a friend who got addicted to substances at some point and he didn't really steal from us but just borrowed some money everyday knowing full well he wouldn't be paying it back. I don't hold it against him since I know he is a good person underneath but those times were rough for our circle of friends because none of us wanted to deny him of money.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

People sell everything believe me. I had my brother stealing my things and selling them and we were sharing room, so I was living with a criminal...
  3. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Yes, when you cross the line to stealing it is a criminal action.

This thread reminds me of some of children's friends, whose father was an addict. We did not know until years later. We did think it was strange that their house kept getting "broken into" and all kinds of electrical equipment would come up missing, including their PlayStation, repeatedly. Sad, indeed.
  4. chanelskii

chanelskii Member

At least he was able to redeem himself and got sane enough to return the money he stole. And it was a good thing that your friend. One should never condone thieves. Kudos to your friend for starting anew and giving back the money he stole.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Not many are that fortunate to get back what was stolen from them. Stealing seems to be a common practice among some users. I have heard quite a few stories where people have been cheated out of their money. I have had some 'borrow' small amounts from me and not surprisingly never return said monies. In my books that's stealing as well.
  6. sunflogun

When this come to a point where the father steals from the children it is sad indeed, but from that point on I am guessing if there is the mother around she has to take the initiative to leave him.
    pineywood likes this.
  7. sunflogun

Yes, but to be honest I think that he might have preferred not recovering his money and never seen the guy again, but at the end I feel it was for the best as both ended up closing a bad cycle.
  8. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is very addictive. I've never had the problem but I have a family member that does. As soon as he runs out of money he finds something to steal and sale. I mean one of our department stores here has banned him for 5 years because he got caught. He needs to get a job but I am not judging him or anyone else. I mean its hard though to work hard everyday and then for people to steal from you. One of my highschool friends got shot and killed like this. He and some other friends went inside someones house. He got shot and the so called friends drove him to the hospital and dumped him on the curb. They got away with this but they loss their friend. Its not worth it.
  9. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

Yes, people will surprise you at what they will do in their desperation. My boyfriend's ex would pawn all of his things, steal jewelry and items and even money from their friends' and family's homes when they would visit, all to support her many addictions. I never got that far. I didn't need to much anyways. I hung with a crowd that adored me like their little "pet" and just shared with me for free.
  10. sunflogun

There are some behaviors that we do see as suspicious, a drug addict has the tendency to steal and we are not safe around them. When we have lived with one we do have that experience.
  11. mercshe

mercshe Member

I also know rich people who are shoplifters. Someone even pay an interview in a morning magazine show.She said she can't help herself to steal. After stealing, she felt some kind of gratification and a lessening of tension. Afterwards, she feel some remorse or guilt or some kind of depression.
  12. sunflogun

In those cases we are discussing kleptomania, but if the ultimate goal is to consume drugs that purely a person that has lost his soul and will do literally anything to consume.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I once knew a kid, he was still in high school, who was an alcohol addict. He lived with grandmother because his dad never was around. His mother was dead and his dad was one of those people who didn't care about his kids. I think this was the reason why he started drinking.

Now to get money to buy alcohol, this kid would steal his grandmother's stuff and sell it. He didn't think he was stealing. His grandmother's stuff, he said was very much like his own and he could for that reason sell anything. The grandmother threatened to kick him out and that put a stop to his stealing.

An addict will do anything to get money to buy drugs . . .
  14. Se7en

Se7en Active Contributor

Didn't expect that kind of ending :O It was really nice of him to return the money, what a transformation.
  15. sunflogun

He was and is a good person, this event just proves how the drugs have changed him, from a peaceful person to someone that steals others just to get drugs.
  16. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

That's so good that the money was returned and things didn't have to get out of control! Hopefully your friend has learned from this.
  17. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Addiction can make people move in unsuspected ways.

I remember my uncle visiting when I was child. He was literally dragging a drunk friend he said to be unable to abandon somewhere in the way to meet with us.

The fact is that this friend had heard that my father used to have loads of wine at home. It's not that my dad would like to drink, but he liked to buy and store assorted wine to give his friends in special occasions.

So that, this friend, turned into a robber, assaulted my dad's cellar and ran away by the time all of us were sleeping. Several months later, and being sober this guy went to apologize and explain how alcohol used to push him to get it no matter from where or how.

He returned the box of whisky that he stole, and eventually went into a inpatient clinic at which he finally was able to achieve sobriety.
    sunflogun likes this.
  18. sunflogun

That's what happen when people sober up, they realize what they did and if they have a heart they want to correct it. They do need to sober up to start with.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I never stole to support my cocaine habit but I will admit that I was dishonest on occasion. I worked on a call centre sales floor and I would do anything to ensure I made as much commission as possible. This included stealing sales, conning people into buying useless insurance plans and selling them all sorts of accessories which could have been bought for half the price elsewhere.

I'm pretty ashamed of the way I behaved. It took me a while to realise that it wasn't actually me doing that stuff, it was the coke addiction doing it and after I got clean, I beat myself up over it for a long time.
  20. sunflogun

So you didn't steal materially, but pretty much the same. It's good that we feel ashamed, this just means we have a conscience that we have acted incorrectly, that we have the capacity to see the difference between right and wrong.