An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Steering clear of negativity

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by kassie1234, Oct 24, 2015.

1. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

[​IMG]

I'm sure that all of us know someone like this - or maybe multiple people. For me, my mental health and overall attitude is heavily reliant on the relationships I have in my life. There's a saying that goes something like "you are who you surround yourself with" and I absolutely think this is true. I don't think it's a bad thing at all to step away from negative, toxic people - it's okay to believe you're worth it to have supportive and reliable people in your life.
    Damien Lee likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Sometimes it can be hard to surround yourself with positive people all the time, and trying to keep negativity out of your life can be difficult.

While it's important to try and stay positive, sometimes it's the negative people that can make you realise just what's important in life in the first place.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

There is always going to be negative people. It is hard not to have them in your life but you have to not let them and their negative attitude bring you down to their level. Keep a positive attitude and do your best to free yourself of negativity.
  4. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

There's always going to be some amount of negativity in your life and it's how you deal with it that counts. There's usually a reason for another person's negativity and trying to understand this can go a long way towards not letting it bother you.
  5. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Good quote. It's imperative that you surround yourself with positive people. Especially if you're the type of person who takes things very personal and gets emotional easily. It can ruin your entire day to even get a negative comment from someone. So surround yourself with positive people who love life, know how to handle tough life situations without going out of control, and will help you in your recovery.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Although negativity is part of the reality that surrounds us, it's one of those realities we can do well without especially if it comes from other people who don't walk in our shoes. That's why there's a need to keep the right company who'll only spread - not diminish - positive vibes and uplift your spirit.
    Winterybella likes this.
  7. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Toxic people will bring nothing to our lives but negativity, so it really is in our best interest to avoid them as much as we can. If you live with them then ignore them and pretend you don't see or hear them so that they will leave you alone if they try to argue with you or get your attention.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I totally agree with you about that. If you couldn't handle it anymore, it's much better to just cut loose toxic and negative people from your life. If someone is already disrespecting you, mistreating you, and making you unhappy, no matter how much you love that person, you've got to let go of him/her. You deserve way better than that.
  9. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

There are probably more negative people in this world than there are positive ones. We find them in our own families, workplaces and social circles and it's often difficult to avoid them. Whether we like it or not, we have to interact with them. However, we can minimize that interaction and be friendly about it as not too stir up any ill will. Naturally, it's better to surround oneself with more positive folks.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It would be almost impossible to steer clear of negativity. Sooner or later you'll have to deal with it. You need to have a contingency plan so in case you stumble into negativity you'll know what to do.

“Stay positive, all other choices are pointless punishments to your psyche.”
    ― Joe Peterson
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

It surrounds us that thing call negativity. Someone suggested that it serves a purpose which is to help us realise what is important and maybe there is some validity in that. Truth be told I would much rather just steer clear of if and those who seek to spread it's harmful effects.
  12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

If you want to get sober you definitely have to get rid of the negative people in your life, no matter the circumstances. Trying to recover from something while a person puts you down is probably one of the hardest tasks in the world. Surround yourself with cheerful and positive people and you will see a change in your mentality!
  13. Psyduck

Psyduck Active Contributor

It's a very good move to erase the negative people in your life. They are only present to drag you down and a true person who is genuinely interested in your well-being would not do that. It is better to cut them off as soon as possible than delay the inevitable.
  14. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

While I can relate that I have some superiority complexes, I can also say that I dislike people who want to discourage others every single moment. Yes, I understand, you consider yourself a god or some sort, but leave others live their life. Why would they care about what other people do anyways?
  15. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I always steer clear of negative people. At this point in my life, I don't want to stress myself and get involved in a lot of drama. I even let go of some friends for there's too much negativity. I really can't handle back stabbers. I'd rather forget them and think that they never existed. There are people that we have to let go even if we've been friends for so long. Sometimes, we have to draw the line and learn how to say, "Enough is enough."
  16. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I guess there are people who are just like that. They have their own unresolved issues. But it's okay. It takes a lot of guts to not stoop down to anyone's level. So even if negative people surround you, you should always strive to be the better person.
  17. Negativity is not only a bad factor in other people, but in yourself. Recovery can bring on negative thoughts, but it's up to you to make yourself postitive. You can have everyone around you supporting you with positivity, but if you have negative thoughts yourself you aren't going to be effected with positive thoughts.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really nice to be surrounded with positive or optimistic people. But sometimes it is hard to avoid negative people in the family or colleagues. What will matter more is that how to handle conversations or situations with those kind of people.:)
  19. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I have met more than one person like this in my lifetime. I hate negativity and try to keep away from it. When I'm around someone negative, it really feels like they're physically dragging me down to their level. Negative feelings are contagious, I swear. I like to remain positive and surround myself with happy people. I'd rather have positivity infect me.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I know a lot of people like this, and sometimes while being around them I unconsciously start to think like them and basically I start to question my whole life, lol. But then I realize that there's a lot of people with that attitude in the world, and those people never really get to make themselves happy and just want to make people to think just like them, and it's really toxic. We need to surround us with people with a better attitude.