An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stereotypes

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by kana_marie, May 6, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

People will form an opinion of someone before they've even met that person. If somebody uses the word pill head, alchy, or crack head then someone will have an idea about what they'll look like or how they'll behave, etc
    This happens because preconceived notions based on stereotypes of that particular drug user.
    Did you fit in a stereotype of an addict or family of an addict?
    I fit in the pill head group. All the things people told you were a bad characteristic of pill heads,'well, I did it all.
  2. TripleD123

TripleD123 Community Champion

In the beginning my family did not fit the characteristic of a "tweaker family".... We had money, a nice house, nice cars. On the outside my parents did not totally seem like druggies... but time went on and the cracks in our facade started to show. My parents started caring less and less about their outside appearance and more about their drug of choice...meth.
    kana_marie likes this.
  3. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

People do stereotype. I'm sure even most of us do too. What separates the jerks from the hypocrites is the act of voicing their prejudices. It's better to be a hypocrite and keep your opinion to yourself instead of hurting other people's feelings by blurting out what they would regard as insults into their faces. I don't even know if that's the right word for it but it's pretty close to the actual one.
  4. kana_marie

I was always a "free spirit" and a casual drinker and drug user. People were never really surprised by the things I did. I fit that "hippie" stereotype pretty well. Once I became an alcoholic/addict I fit that stereotype perfectly. I sold off everything thing I owned for super cheap, stole and lied to get more money for pills, stole pills, and anything else you can imagine a pill head would do.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Oh god, looking back on things, I was definitely a stereotype. I would work 10 hour days, had plenty of money and was out every night. I was a real workaholic and in the end, I'm not really sure whether I was working to live or living to work. Jeez, I even quit by taking another job to keep me out of trouble.
    kana_marie likes this.
  6. kana_marie

Fortunately, I have never enjoyed any of my jobs enough to wonder if I'm living for work. I definitely give you your props, though. I don't think I have ever heard of a healthier way to quit using.
  7. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

I am very skinny and nerves show all over my arms and hands. My eyes usually have sleeping bags due to lack of sleep. Now most people look at me differently. My mates even say "don't do drugs". I am so sick of this sh*t.
    Just live and let live, goddammit!
  8. RHill

RHill Member

It is hard not to make a judgement of some kind. When given a term, it is human nature to expect what we have experienced of it in the past which is often how it is artificially portrayed to us in the media rather than in personal experience. I wouldn't say I fitted into the typical stereotype. On the surface, I looked moderately well to do in the greater scheme of things. It affects people in all walks of life.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Actually, I have never been stereotyped as something like that, but I know a lot of people think of me as the "good girl" because I always go by the rules and I have a quiet and nice personality, but really, I am not what everybidy thinks I am.
  10. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Having to listen to the names my husband was called by others was very hurtful to me. I dealt with it by talking and praying to God about it. Now that the worst is over I don't hear the hurtful words anymore.

I use to wonder what they thought about me. I'm sure that I was in some type of stereotype as well but I can only guess at what they would have been.
  11. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I have only tried using weed and cigarettes, and I don't drink, so I don't fit in with an addict's description. But it is true that people judge other people based from first impressions. It's human nature and we can't help it, unfortunately. We just have to keep our mouth shut if what we think of the other person isn't nice to begin with.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I was regarded as a "special case" by my family, whatever that entails. In their opinion I was a loner and living in my own world. Also, they regarded me as someone who doesn't have any sympathy for others. In fact, my parents spread this "image" of me all around our family and friends until it became a "fact" for them.
    Little did they understand that I had to create my own world in order to survive their physical and psychological attacks on me. Few outside my immediate family knew what was going on behind closed doors in our home.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While it's not right, I think it's inevitable that people do stereotype. It's very easy, especially these days, to form an opinion of somebody, even if you don't know them.

When it comes to an addict, people imagine something like a scene from trainspotting and of course in reality, for most people anyway, it's nothing like that.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Lol. The pill heads. No but I've seen it. I did not know that the closest person to me was on it almost my whole life. I don't even know what she would be like without them. Sad really. Drugs and alcohol has not made her a very nice person. Amazing how different she is with other people too. Big show.
    Preconceived notions make no sense. You have to get to know a person through that person. See for yourself who they really are. Each person can often be different with one person than they are with another. Some people inspire you so much that they actually make you a better person. Want to be a better person. When they don't inspire you, well we know what that is. Sometimes it hits you like a ton of bricks the difference between the two. Its got to be mutual, inspiration. Certain people inspire while others dampen.
    Even if someone seems like this or that; its kind of irrelevant really. People change around great people. Stereotypes are engrained into the brain. Some people actually do fit stereotypes. You watch them do exactly what you think they will do. Lol. This is why when someone is an "enigma" people are often fascinated with everything that they do, because there is no stereotype that they fit. The reality of the enigma is that they are simple.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I can't say I fit the "alcoholic individual" stereotypes and preconceptions. On the contrary, I looked like a clean person on the outside all the time, nobody even though I could have ever been addicted to something. I was a bright student (did not care so much about school, though, and skipped most of my classes), and I was able to maintain a normal conversation with someone if needed. But we all wear masks on the outside, more or less, and what you seem to be like doesn't necessarily represent you as a person. It was also my case.
  16. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

I've never really considered whether I "fit the bill" or not, so to speak. I guess I do have some of the less obvious signs as far as alcoholism goes: bags under my eyes, lots of nervous ticks. But these are easily explained by my anxiety and depression. The stereotypes I've heard in my area don't fit: temper, slovenly appearance, bad work ethic, spending all my money on booze instead of important bills / food, or being a bad influence for younger people. I drive responsibly (as in never when having had even a sip of alcohol), and don't stay out late and party, or drink bottles and bottles home alone often (it does happen, but not frequently).
  17. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

Other than the people really close to me that know my personality as a friend, everyone is surprised to learn that I've been a cocaine addict. I'm not skinny, I love to eat, and I'm a fairly social person these days.
  18. Hr2hlp

Hr2hlp Member

I fit the alcoholic stereotype for a long time. I was always the girl everyone kept their boyfriends away from when I was drinking, I was the one falling all over the place, starting fights, passing out in odd places, occasionally running around without all or any of my clothes. Everyone knew if they wanted someone to party with they could go to my house. All the other characteristics I embodied are pretty embarrassing, so I'll stop there.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think stereotypes can be deceiving. As someone who was an alcoholic, I guess I'm a prime example of who you wouldn't think was an alcoholic. Young female, was 20 something when I battled addiction, I still managed to get my way through university and held down my job whilst struggling with drinking. Any time I confide in people that I battled with it, they seem to look at me like I have two heads and they can't believe what I've just told them.
  20. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

I think that I fit the stereotype of being a young person that was on drugs. Since I was in my teens when I was using I didn't have that "hard up" look that I usually associate with someone using hard drugs. I for sure looked completely out of it though, and acted the way any drug addict acts.