An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Steroids.

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by StephenG, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Havard's Mens Health Watch recently put out some information regarding TRT and the possible effects it can have on men. I encourage anyone looking into it to educate themselves on the risks involved. http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/is-testosterone-replacement-therapy-safe

"Some studies have found that men taking testosterone have more cardiovascular problems, like heart attacks, strokes, and deaths from heart disease. Some physicians also have a lingering concern that testosterone therapy could stimulate the growth of prostate cancer cells. Yet the evidence is mixed, with some studies showing a lower cardiac risk with testosterone therapy and no apparent effect on prostate cancer."
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I guess it's just normal for people to freak out over things they are unfamiliar I with, not just with drugs but even with hobbies or lifestyles. A lot of people can't fathom that you can use without abusing, since abusing is all they hear in the news and other media. I wouldn't overthink it or take it personally, just try and explain your side.
  3. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

She may have freaked out because steroids usually make the person really aggressive. I think you should talk to her and tell her that if used in moderation, steroids shouldn't affect your relationship. If she really loves you, she will understand that bodybuilding is what you love doing and that you love her back so you won't do anything that could damage your relationship.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I could remember seeing a documentary that had talked about the late Chris Benoit who was a wrestler for WWE, WCW, and I think ECW. I remembered that the documentary had mentioned that Chris had always used steroids since he was a teenager which it led him to his death when he hung himself after killing his family. It was a sad thing to hear about when it happened I just was still thinking about Chris Benoit's roid rage even though there is no footage of that I felt it was sad to see him go.
  5. jurew2

jurew2 Member

I think that using steroids as part of a sport is cheating, because you make your body go over the limit with these drugs. I'm a sports person and I disaprove the use of steroids in any kind of body enhancements. There are also some health risks connected to steroid which I doubt that someone wants to face.
  6. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well we know it is just to make the muscles bigger. Kind of cheating and it shrinks your gonads. Maybe your sex life will be a drag. More than likely turn you into a minute man.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't lift weights for you. Might make you feel stronger but it just seems like a mistake. Maybe they'll tell you when you buy it that this one is different, this one is different. I wouldn't trust it, not worth it.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I think that as long as you don't abuse them and that it's your doctor the one who prescribes them to you... all is fine. Plus I guess he monitors you. So I don't see a problem, as long as you are not abusing them :) Next time wait a bit before you tell a girl about it... most people get the wrong idea as long as the word ''steroids'' is mentioned.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well upon reading the side effects of steroids, then you certainly can't blame her for freaking out right? I think you need to go easy on taking them and always consult your doctor to avoid experiencing these side effects.
  9. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

I cannot be objective here because I really do not see body building to be a competitive sport. Especially because all of those guys use steroids. Using steroids, as somebody mentioned before, is harmull to your health. I have no words about this. I want to say that you guys do not look good at all. Everything on you is too much and I know that you will disagree because you love what you do and I respect that but it would be nice if those competitions and the participants would be more rigorously checked.
  10. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Many girls are scared by steroids or even if a guy gains too much muscle too quickly. It doesn't look natural and can kind of freak her out for some reason.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I thought steroids were illegal. How is it that your doctor is prescribing them? I personally think steroids are dangerous.
    There have been many people who've died from steroid abuse. I do think there might be natural alternatives to steroids tho.
  12. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I also wanted to tell you it makes you impotent.The girl you were dating probably knows that you will be unable to have
    sex after a while. The thing that could scare her is either you having roid rage or not being able to have an erection, either
    way this is scary to a woman. Big muscles are not worth having your testicles shrink up to the size of raisins. Quit this stuff as soon as you can.
  13. Pbgirl

Pbgirl Member

I have dated 2 steriod users, the last for 3.5 yrs. What the user doesn't realize is how they act towards others when they're raging. It's like dating a bipolar person. I honestly think there is serious denial and brain damage as the user will go to huge lengths to legitamize what they're doing and to continue despite the health costs. All steriod users will say they are fine, it doesn't change them, because of the cycles of depression that they go thru when they are off. Lies. When a steriod user is in a cycle, they become moody and agressive, and from my experience verbally abusive and delusional. They are not aware how they are acting. They know they are on edge but only being with one and the rollercoaster it causes can one truly understand. That person is just like any other drug user--seeking the high, in denial of what it is doing to them. There are highs just like there are lows if a cycle is stopped. Their libidos go wild. They don't care about who they are hurting because their egos become so inflated and they are so self focused they lose all compassion for others which they most likely didn't have to begin with. Anyone who would rather shave years off their life for a sick muscle fetish doesn't care much for their health to begin with, whuch is a mental disorder. It just is. Being the person in the addict's life, you see multiple personalities. It is bizarre and shocking and gutwrenching at times. Steriod abusers aren't capable of being in normal relationships.

For example, if you were is a relationship and your partner asked you to stop using and you can't for whatever the reason, then obviously taking the steriods is more important to you than the relationship. In a normal relationship a person would care that they are hurting the other person and stop. In the steriod relationship, the user only cares about getting their pump on and the highs that come along with strength and looks and the admiration and could give a rats arse about the relationship. It is a classic user senario when a user refuses to quit. If someone else thinks you are hurting yourself and you don't care you are a user. Both of my steriod users they kept messy homes tossing gym clothes and towels all over the floor. They recluse themselves typically living alone so they can continue using. There are needles everywhere. They have reckless sex and use lots of online masturbation compulsively because they cannot control their sex drives. What this does to relationships is disastorous. How would you like to be in a relationship with someone you couldn't have regular sex with because they are too busy getting it elsewhere or self gratifying? How would you like to be in a relationship with someone who gets angry over dumb things, like in traffic or the way other people are working out in the gym? Steriod users additionally become easily irritable at stupid things because they honestly believe that everyone is their enemy and out to get them. They keep secrets and lie believing that others are doing the same to them because their brains are damaged by the excessive proteins. Meanwhile they will blame everyone else for their troubles never accepting responsibility when their relationships fail and when they get into altercations.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Pbgirl... Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight with us.