An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Still struggling after 5 years!

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. soberdoug

soberdoug Member

I signed up for this board mainly because I have been sober for almost five years...go to meetings daily and still struggle a lot with cravings. Sometimes I think it will never get easier. I believe that having people to talk to is important so just seeing what's up with this forum and what things others are dealing with. Peace!
  2. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome, soberdoug! Nice to have you hear and first and foremost...congratulations on five years sober! I also believe that having people to talk to is critical in our recovery process. The message boards are a good way to see what other people have going on and how they are dealing with their issues. I'm glad you decided to join the conversation!
    soberdoug, menace and Jen S. like this.
  3. LaLaLaLaLola

LaLaLaLaLola Member

5 years! That's wonderful!
    soberdoug, menace and Joseph like this.
  4. menace

menace Community Moderator

Congrats soberdoug. I'm coming up on five years without alcohol myself--I have struggled a bit with other things since then but overwhelmingly my life has been better without pouring solvent down my throat, and I don't see myself ever going back to it...although I do know what you mean about the cravings. Keep working the program (whatever program you work) and keep reaching out to people. I found too that having others to commiserate with or share successes is very helpful. Nice to see you here!
    soberdoug likes this.
  5. bocat

bocat Member

Five years is a pretty long stretch and you should be proud. I just like to save other people from drugs to keep my mind off of doing it. You should consider doing that.
    soberdoug likes this.
  6. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Wow, I can say that it's really hard to keep away from alcohol -- more so for five years! You're an inspiration. I use alcohol to get away from stress and I know that it's not the solution, but I'm still doing it, anyway. It makes me feel better. You are such a good example, keep it up!
    soberdoug likes this.
  7. toppot44

toppot44 Member

First off, congrats on being clean five years! The next step is to change the thought patterns permanently to where you totally have no desire to drink ever again. I know it may feel like torture some days when you see the world around you drinking and also seeing other people function and drink responsibly. Being real with yourself is knowing who you really are and what's good or bad for you along with what you can and can't handle. I'm a very Spiritual person and my connection to got and His Holy Spirit has gave me more than enough strength to change my mindset and refrain from temptation. Do you ever think you could drink in moderation or do you know there is just no gray area for you?
    soberdoug likes this.
  8. gypsyangel

gypsyangel Member

I have been sober for 8 years now and not a day goes by that I don't think about alcohol. The good news is that it gets easier, at least for me it has. As the result of my last drunk, I lost everything I had. My apartment with all my clothes, personal effects, family albums, etc. My so called friends would not store anything for me while I was locked up. For some people, you really have to hit rock bottom to know that you never want to go back there again. 5 years is a great accomplishment!
    soberdoug likes this.
  9. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

Hang in there, bud. You can do this. You've done five years! Five! That is a testament to your strength.

It may get easier someday, it may not. But you're getting better and better at controlling yourself, that is for certain. Congratulations!
    soberdoug likes this.
  10. soberdoug

soberdoug Member

THANKS ALL
  11. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Congratulations and well done!!!! Five years is a great achievement and I am sure it has its ups and downs. It does get better and easier but you need people to talk to and people who can support you when you are low. It does get easier but I find that you need to have something new to do for when you feel you have a craving.
    soberdoug likes this.
  12. Congratulations on being sober for five years. That's a really big achievement and you should be proud of yourself. It can be really difficult, and I know a lot of people that have struggled with addiction that still have cravings and I'm one of them. I think in a sense, it will always be in the back of your mind, but you just learn to understand that you don't need it. It's good that you're still going to meetings, because I feel like you probably still need support.. and good for you for joining this forum.. It will also probably help you out. if you start getting a craving though, just go do something to take your mind off it, go pour yourself a glass of water, and once you finish it, go outside and take a run, or work on something you've been meaning to do for a long time. It'll help you!
    soberdoug likes this.
  13. LifeM1

LifeM1 Member

While I'm not an expert on addictions, it feels strange that someone would still have cravings after five entire years of being sober. Have you consulted with a doctor or general medical expert and gotten an opinion towards why you still get cravings for alcohol? I would strongly recommend doing so to see if there is a way you can help this if you have not already. Congratulations on being sober for so long!
    soberdoug likes this.
  14. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Wow!!!! 5 years is a huge success!!!!!!! You do realize that right? Cravings are hard to give up. Not to bring something up that is cheesy but just the other day, my son was watching sesame street and cookie monster was trying not to eat cookies. Someone told him to just think of something that he did not like in order for him to not eat the cookie. He imagined the cookie was his grandma. It is silly I know and totally is a completely different situtation. I just thought it would cheer you up a bit. You do not need me to sit here and tell you how to do this because you already have for 5 years. And you know what, you are going to make it further and further. You seek for other people to help you and that is why you are going to be able to go longer and longer. I hope my little story will help you or at least make you laugh. Remember you are stronger than your craving! Keep up the good work!!!!!
    soberdoug likes this.
  15. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

Staying sober for five years is a big achievement! Having cravings is normal. Most people who have stayed away from alcohol for long start having cravings when they find themselves in an environment where alcohol is being taken. This could be when you are out with your friends or during parties. The best way to avoid the cravings is to tell yourself that you have come a long way to throw away that major achievement in just a mere craving you can fight off.
    soberdoug likes this.
  16. Determined2014

Determined2014 Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your sobriety, it is not easy, but I do believe it will get easy even though it doesnt seem like it.
    soberdoug likes this.
  17. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Congratulations! I think being able to keep yourself sober for 5 years is no easy feat and you really should be commended for it. Not many people would understand how hard it really is to have an addiction that pops up almost every moment of every day so it absolutely helps that you have some places like this forum to share your thoughts with and get some understanding. I wish you well and I'm sure you can make it further. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and story!
    soberdoug likes this.
  18. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

In my opinion you should have a drink once in a while. I know that what scares you the most is the thing that you might get addicted to it again, but you have to be sure that won't happen. If you don't ever drink again and feel sad about that, then alcohol still controls your life. You should just measure your intake and don't do it too often, it's pretty hard to get addicted to alcohol.
  19. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

Well done for getting to the 5 year level! Only you know how hard it's been. We can all show sympathy and empathy but only you know how the battle has been.

I met a guy some years ago that had been dry for a while and he explained to me what he had been going through as an alcoholic: "One drink is too many but 1000 drinks are not enough."

Keep up the good work!
    soberdoug likes this.
  20. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Wow! You're doing great! I think it's good that you admit that the struggle is on-going. Some people try to pretend that they've been "cured" and it starts with "just one won't be so bad" and next thing you know, it's back to square one. Congratulations and keep it up! :)
    soberdoug likes this.