An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stoner Music and Shows

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by AAngelo, Jul 9, 2015.

1. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I don't understand my friends' fascination about shows and music whenever they get high. Back then, when I was baked I was happy and hungry regardless of what we were listening to or watch. They keep saying the watching certain shows is a hundred times better when you are high. I don't get it. I always thought that those shows and music just suck so much that you have to be high to enjoy them. What do you guys think?
    Disasterpiece89 likes this.
  2. I definitely agree that people tend to be easier to please whenever they are high. I don't engage in that type of activity anymore, but I know now that I don't act in the same way that I used to act. I am still understanding of my friends and their lifestyle choices, and I never condescend to them or judge them. However, when we share our thoughts and feelings about our favorite shows and music I have found that their opinions on these subjects tend to be highly one-dimensional and generally unfounded. They don't like to delve into the reasons why they like a particular song or show, and it reminds me of when I used to smoke almost constantly. There is an article that I read about how one's brain chemistry is altered whenever one habitually smokes. It said that apparently this affects the brain's dopamine receptors or pleasure centers, and makes them dependent on the influence of marijuana. The quality of what one is watching or listening to becomes less vital than the quality of weed one is smoking. So, if one is toking on really high quality stuff, then there is a greater likelihood of them regarding a certain form of media in a favorable light. Conversely, if one is experiencing an absence of that substance when they are so used to abusing it, they might dislike everything around them. I thought that it was an interesting article, but I suppose that everyone's brain chemistry is different.;)
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

My friends have this thing about watching Full Metal Jacket or The Big Lebowski whenever they get high. They can watch it a million times and still find it funny. I know their sense are heightened but after a few times watching it, I would get tired of it. But not when you are high.
    Disasterpiece89 likes this.
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I don't know if you are aware of this, but there's a rock genre called "Stoner rock", and guess what, it suits stoners a lot! It gives good vibes and all that stuff.

Back to your question, that seems pretty odd, to be honest. I didn't use to be that way.
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

Oh, I have to strongly disagree with you there. Everything is better when you're smoking weed. I'm not trying to glorify it or anything, but it is true music sounds a lot better. You hear things in songs you never noticed when you were sober. Same thing applies to movies and TV shows. A lot better, in my opinion. But, hey, everyone's experience is different.
    Unique1 likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

When people are high, any show you watch or music that you listen to will seem different to if your watching it straight.

Marijuana increase your senses, making your mind think differently about things, so watching a show that's directly aimed at weed smokers is going to be more relevant to just normal TV.
  7. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Seems like some people experience heightened senses, while others don’t. Most of the stoners I knew were more of the easily-amused variety, which I suppose is a different kind of heightened sense. I can’t actually think of a single time when any of them decided to watch anything or listen to anything because it was so much better when they were high. But I had an online friend who would do that all the time and describe shows/music as the most beautiful experiences while high.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Those shows and music are geared towards people that are high. Certain sounds and visuals can make you higher. Sometimes in music they have subliminal messages that make you feel a certain way. You notice when your sober, you don't like these shows because it's made for the "high". This is how they get viewers, it's like Cheech and Chong unless your high your like what is this?
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

I would agree with that @Tsky45 said. Many of my friends enjoyed slow, low bass songs as they have said that they can "fall into the song".
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I don’t know, I always enjoyed Cheech & Chong and I’ve never been stoned. So either I’m naturally high, or stoner culture is such an integral part of life where I was brought up that I just get it without participating fully :p Hahaha.
    L_B likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I can't speak from a position of experience. I am not a weed smoker but I know for a lot of the shows around here people try to sneak their weed in and get high or higher while listening to the artists. It seems to be more prevalent at the Reggae shows somehow . I've also known of some who seem to get high watching wrestling and the like as though the weed is some sort of enhancer.

For me I am happy to 'get high' on plain old great music. I need no enhancer.
  12. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have friends who get off on any kind of show when they are stoned. They even find something hilarious watching the BBC news. It can all get a little distorted at times. But then, who knows, perhaps there is some great ironic joke in watching the news and finding human behavior somehow ridiculous.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

As a fan of psychedelic music, this made me laugh! No, really, if you listen to it, the music is weird and requires almost no skills at all, only imagination., and, you know, it kinda sucks. I still enjoy it though.

And well, when you are high you experience some paranoia, and the weird music/movies can put you into a specific, unique mood which most people enjoy. That's the point of all that. Nothing more.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I love these kinds of shows and music without drugs, so I dunno.
  15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I think the most honest way to analyze this for yourself is to be aware of what you're using as entertainment. If when I'm sober something sounds like garbage but when I'm high sounds like the newest Beethoven then clearly it has more to do with the drugs than it does the quality of the music or entertainment. Now there are those that argue you wouldn't be able to understand the genius unless high on _fill drug in here_ but we should all be aware that genius comes sober just as often. I can wait for sober genius.
  16. Dan86

Dan86 Member

Smoking weed makes everything that bit more enjoyable and smoking whilst doing an activity creates an association.

Next time you light up you want to recreate that feeling so tend to also partake in the same activity.

This becomes more obvious when trying to quit. Watching the tv program or listening to the music that you used to do while high will bring on cravings for marijuana.
  17. floeyes

floeyes Member

moe., phish, the disco biscuits, umphreys mcgee, lotus, sts9 are all really good drug bands, their live shows are second to none, and it changed my life for the best after seeing them on L
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I have known people who when high finds things funny when they are not or watching a boring show or song and are enjoying it which is weird at times and goes to show how weed can affect the brain and the thinking as well. One person I know would sing along with the songs or show if a song appeared and also, they would get excited as well which was interesting to see happen most of the time. I reckon rock songs can have something to do with weed and also they can sometimes glorify weed so seeing someone do it can cause the viewer to do it as well.
  19. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am the exact same way. Never been stoned in my life but I've watched all the Cheech and Ching movies and had a great laugh. I don't need weed to get high...I'm high on life! :)
  20. harold

harold Community Champion

I have often asked the same question and now I am getting good responses. I know many friends who can spend hours enjoying hard music, especially after they have gone high. I never really understood what all this signified, but now it is clear. I have never taken these drugs, but I now understand what spurs them. It is all about the senses. I do not understand why people need to find pleasure in music only after they are high. When I listen to music that has good rhythms and is resourceful, I do not need the help of any drugs to enjoy it. Why do people have to get out of their minds to enjoy music? This is just as crazy as the idea of taking drugs itself!