An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stop drinking off your own will

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rowe992, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

So I have often hear stories about persons who were alcoholics but stopped drinking off their own free will, and recently my grandfather told me a story about how he was a heavy drinker but stopped drinking after one night when he was so drunk he stood outside of his house and couldn't go in. He said from that night he stopped drinking and that was about 40 years ago. I think breaking an alcohol addiction can be done by the individuals themselves if they have the will power to do so.
  2. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

People will underestimate the power of the human will all the time. I'm not saying it's easy, but people can trump their addictions with heart alone IF they truly want to stop.

I remember how I got my grandmother to stop smoking for example. One day I went to her house and I was crying for her to stop smoking. That was enough to get her to quit.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

For me, it's just a matter of keeping me busy and entertained. If I can find an activity to do, it can be a chore, yardwork, extra hours at work, anything from keeping me from thinking about the bottle.

Everyone has a choice. Addictions are real. You just need to keep your mind off and away onto something else.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

If you do not have the will power then you cannot do it. I cannot go without drinking a soda a day but that all depends on how much of an effort I would make on my part. I still drink water everyday just not to the point where I would pass out since I take my time drinking.
  5. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Bringing about change in yourself is quite feasible if you have the will to do so. Other people can't make you change unless you really want it, so change is really dependent upon the person. A person who has a weak will or simply has no desire to change is the most hopeless case, because no matter how many people ask or try to convince him to stop his vices, if he doesn't want to then he won't budge.
  6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

See these are the instances where defining alcoholism is pretty important. Perhaps your grandfather was never physically addicted to alcohol & found that the use was not a necessity thus making it a different kind of addiction for him. One that may be a lot easier to drop when you've put your mind to it. Now, this doesn't take away from his accomplishments but it changes the scope a tad.
  7. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I think the moment of clarity comes to pretty much all addicts. Some people have the willpower to quite outright. Some have the will to check themselves into rehab. Some just don't have it and they keep going.
  8. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

In the end it's all about your decision to quit. No one can do that for you but yourself. In that moment when you decide to change, you exert your willpower. Every day you make life changing decisions with your own free will. It's just that sometimes you need someone to make you aware again of your inner strength and the choices that you have in life. The choice to start on a new spiral of evolution.
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I have heard stories of people who were drinkers and then quit just like that without any particular reason, trigger, or special mental toughness. Part of it is keeping themselves busy but even they themselves cannot explain why suddenly they stopped wanting to drink alcohol. However, I never heard people who reached the addiction point to do the same. I believe that once you are addicted, it is your body that tells you to drink, not just your brain.
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

One sure can stop drinking if they make a [firm] resolution not to drink again. But this works only if you realize that alcoholism is a problem and you are willing to fix that problem by quitting. Deciding on a whim before you are ready will see you slide slowly to where you previously were.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think a lot of this depends on how much the person drinks, the reasons why they drink and how strong the individual is.
    People often get stuck in a rut so to speak and drinking can become an everyday thing, as normal as somebody coming home and watching the television or playing computer games. If its just a case of drinking out of boredom or out of habit, I'd probably say its a lot easier to stop on your own accord, as opposed to somebody who drinks to make themselves feel better or that drinks because of an addiction.
  12. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

Honestly, I disagree. I think once you're an alcoholic or have any addiction for that matter there is no way you have enough will power to stop yourself. The only way to do it is if you have a compelling enough reason to quit. For example, you're grandfather didn't really stop on his own. The fact that he couldn't go into his own house stopped him from drinking. So there was a compelling enough reason to quit.

Moreover, this applies to anything that is a bad habit or addiction in one's life. You need a higher purpose to rid yourself of bad habits and addictions.
  13. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree a lot with this. I think sometimes staying busy is the biggest thing to avoid lapsing into the addiction mindset. It's almost like you have to find a positive addiction - working out, chores like you mentioned, or things like that to keep you busy. Definitely easier said than done, but I find it helps a lot just keeping my mind busy so I'm not thinking about it.
  14. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I have heard stories like the one your grandfather told and it's wonderful he and others did not need "physical intervention" to kick the habit. I am trying to wrap my head around Nick Anthony's logic and would be happy to fully understand the point being made. Based on some stories I have heard I was convinced that a person could make a decision today to kick a habit and do just that.

Was there some unseen force at work? Is this the higher purpose to which Nick Anthony is referring?
  15. henry

henry Community Champion

There are many people who've quit addictions that way. My grandfather told me once that he used to smoke a whole pack of smokes every day, and on a sunday he was out smokes and couldn't find any store open where to buy some. He told me he got so mad, he just quit. He never smoked again. I know it's true because he got a bunch of old Zippo lighters he had for years from his drawer and gave them all to me.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Henry, this made me smile. My question though is "why did he give those lighters to you"? Are these to be passed on? Are you a smoker yourself and if so when are you going to follow in grand dad's steps? When are you going to get mad and stop? I find this post very interesting and entertaining.
  17. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

I actually think this is the safest way to go. It will be very difficult to quit drinking if there is no will to do so, and of course people are able to quit on their own. It doesn't mean though that asking for help from friends and family or a professional is anything wrong.
  18. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Its like you have to find it within yourself to quit. If you cannot then the will is gone. I try to think if this stuff is strong enough to hurt me then I should not use it for my safety.
  19. serenity

serenity Community Champion

My grandfather actually died because of emphysema because he did not want to quit smoking. So unless that person really wants to improve himself, then no one can stop him from harming himself until he gets sick and dies. Change should come first and foremost from us.
  20. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it can take time to change ourselves so we will need help to change as we need motivation sometimes, as the mind can think drinking is alright and need to control ourselves when we think that way. I reckon that it can take time, as for me it did take some time to stop drinking and focus on other things which can keep the mind busy. It is important to see what we can do when we, try and do other things and the mind can be very busy if we do things which are productive.