An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stop drinking off your own will

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rowe992, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I am sorry to have heard that happened to your grandfather. I have some alcoholics in my moms family only because of the war. You just feel so much happening around you when stuff like this happen. This is why I observed these people to learn what effects alcohol can do to you.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

That is the cold and sad reality, most people are aware that they are hurting themselves and even so they don't want to change. In those cases I don't think there is nothing we can do.
  3. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I also believe that with enough power of will and that of making our own choices we can achieve further ideals than what our minds could have possibly ever managed to think of. We definitely shouldn't underestimate our abilities of surpassing our bad addictions. We in fact don't lack power, we lack motivation. The latter should be found, not the former.
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

What war is that? It really depends on how the person copes with his problems. I never turned to drugs and alcohol when I feel sad. Sadly, most people do, especially if they can afford it and that's what causes problems.
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Everyone has his or her own coping mechanism. I just feel bad for every war veteran who has not been able to find peace. That is why I chose not to go to the military because of that. If I were to serve it would be away from military hands.
  6. sunflogun

Some things might traumatize us for life, that is a fact and war is one of them. One thing I am quite certain about, drinking is not going to help, quite the contrary.
  7. serenity

@Profit5500, Well, if you think that going to war would have adverse effects on you, then it's good that you decided not to join the military at all. It's just sad that some people turn to alcohol and drugs when they could have just prayed and confided to someone.
  8. sunflogun

That's how I see it too @serenity. I mean, we should turn to someone for help and not be closed in ourselves and use alcohol or drugs, that is the path for self-destruction.
  9. serenity

@sunflogun, Not to mention turning to drugs can also cause you financial problems. Unfortunately,even with all the cons, people still blindly turn to them, so I pity those people.
  10. Aescopri

Aescopri Active Contributor

This might just be possible, but I know for a fact that it'll be extremely hard to accomplish. Here's an anecdote from my own life: my relative has once cut off his own little finger to try and stop his marijuana addiction from progressing further, but has since failed and ended up in jail.

I mean, this might be possible if you're really determined to stop your addiction, but in all honesty, I really think that seeking the help of a family member, close friend or trusted senior will be really helpful in stopping an addiction—not only an alcohol addiction, but with other drugs as well.

But remember: don't stop fighting and stay determined! =)
  11. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

This is a very diverse and vibrant world, with many types of people, each with their own set of experiences, personalities, and drawbacks. Some people, like your grandfather, are able to quit of their own free will. Some need motivation, and some need the help of others. It is definitely possible to quit of your own free will, but we must remember that there is no shame in getting help.
  12. sunflogun

Not only financial problems, all sort of problems. If we are drinking, on the next day who's going to wake up early to get our kids ready for school? It's simple not compatible with a normal life.
  13. AC23

AC23 Member

We really have to be aware of the pros and cons alcohol gives us.
    I really don't get the idea of drinking hoping to eliminate problems you have, yet you ended up getting drunk and doing shameful things. (sigh)
  14. serenity

@sunflogun, That is, if they still have custody of their kids in the first place! Hopefully, in that situation, the other parent or their siblings can take charge of the alcoholic's responsibilities.
  15. sunflogun

Yes, I didn't want to go that far. Fortunately I don't understand how people choose drinking over kids, my kids are the most important to me and I would never do anything to hurt them.
  16. serenity

How old are your kids now? Make sure to steer them in the right path and keep the bad influences out! The teenage years are the breeding grounds for bad habits and bad behaviors!
  17. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It depends on the person. Nobody forced me to stop drinking, but I did.
  18. sunflogun

They are not in a drinking age, but yes, that is a relative concern now already. I just think, I wish they don't live the life I did, I need to conceive strategies so that they don't do that.
  19. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I have heard this too. But, these people are not true alcoholics. After all, alcohol is one of the drugs you need to seek out medical attention to achieve withdrawls and not suffer any side effects.
  20. serenity

Knowing your kid's friends is a good starting point. If you think that they are bad influences, then you should step in and try to guide them. My mom tried to get to know my friends when they would come over here when I was a teen.