An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Stop hanging around your old crowd

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by orangesunset, Jan 16, 2015.

1. thomas carty

thomas carty Member

Yea the easiest way that you can get away from the things that you may have been addicted to is to get rid of the old people that you used to hang with and find yourself some new friends that will help you to live the life that you are trying to live easier. When you have people in life that are just going to drag you down it does not even make any sense. So ditching the old crowd and hanging with a new one is the way to go.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Very true. Many people disregard that a lot of the times, the People around them contribute a lot to their past behaviors whether they did so consciously or not. It's not even necessary that they themselves use the same substances. Sometimes they are just the types of personalities that make someone miserable even if they themselves don't share the same addictions with the addict.
  3. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Sometimes you are caught in a perpetual circle of addiction buddies. It's hard to break from the circle, but once you do you can see things more clearly.
  4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

That is one of the difficulties Tournique, breaking with the past, breaking with what dragged us down, but once we do that our future will look definitely better.
  5. daregicide

daregicide Member

Leaving my old group of friends was the best thing that I have done for myself. It was honestly very easy to do this and I don't miss them one bit.
  6. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

An old adage that I keep in mind is "You are the company you keep" or "you are who you surround yourself with". As much as I've tried in the past to say I could keep my drug friends and move on, it really makes it so much worse.
  7. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

Many people are not going to be happy with your new lifestyle. You may have to leave the crowd that will bring you down and hold you back. Your health is more important and they should realize that. True friends will always be there for you. Leave those behind that won't let you push forward.
  8. Gelsemium

I really don't know about that, will they even care? I think that deep down they might be happy they we have chosen a better life and they want to follow us too.
    jperd21 likes this.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Real friends should respect your decisions and understand that you want to make a change in your life. If they are so selfish that they only care about them having a "drinking buddy", you should consider finding a new group. Peer pressure sucks big time.
  10. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Well said. Your circle of friends are very pivotal when it comes to the kind of behavior we associate ourselves with. If you're struggling with addiction and you want to quit for good,it would be prudent if you chose your friends carefully and only seek out those that you feel may support you or add value to your life.
    orangesunset likes this.
  11. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

It all depends on how those friends are. If they were/are still down the same ugly path some of us were on, you may want to try to save them if you feel you're at a stage in your life where you've successfully handled your addictions and can see what it's doing to them.

If they want no help, simply cut off contact with them and find a new crowd. You don't need that anymore.
  12. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

I've known this to be the case from time to time. I had a girlfriend that was getting bad on prescription drugs, and I sat her down one night and said "I'm changing my life. With or without you. I would love if you could make this journey with me, but I can't force you" She kept on with her ways for several weeks, but when she saw how my life was improving, how I wasn't just looking for my next fix, she envied me. My freedom from addiction. And she eventually changed. Not for me but for herself.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  13. Gelsemium

That's right, we change for ourselves because we cannot be convinced, we convince ourselves and the best way to help someone changing is to give the example, if we can't help ourselves how can we help others?
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

If you want to be healthy you have to disconnect yourself from pressure of using again. There is no way that this is going to work if you are constantly going back to the same people that pressured you to use in the first place. Time to take care of yourself and surround yourself with positive individuals.
  15. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Looking for new set of friends could be a good idea if you are going through recovery, specially if your old buddies could be bad influence for you.
  16. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

No arguments from me. Staying away from an old crowd that would pressure you into using again, or engaging in other bad behavior, is an effective strategy. It can be difficult, as can finding new people who will influence you positively, but it’s not impossible and it’ll benefit you in the long run.
  17. gracer

gracer Community Champion

You're absolutely right OP. Sometimes there are things that we have to let go in order for us to change for the better, even if it means having to lose old friends. If your friends are not influencing you the right way then it's about time to find others who can. Surround yourself with positive people and all the positivity in you will come out.
  18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It really depends on what type of friends you have. I think that you should remain close who those that are supportive and make you happy.
    I agree though, it's important to form new relationships
  19. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

There is no way its going to work if you still run in the same circles. That has to stop and you have to move on to postiive surroundings including people.