An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Store bought marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Rosyrain, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

With all of the Marijuana stores that are popping up now that the substance is legal in some states, I was wondering if it is as potent as the kind you formally had to buy on the black market. I was curious about this because I heard that it is expensive to buy in stores.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

You pay for "convenience" of being able to go downtown and pick up some smoke. Of course, it's expensive, and it's every bit (if not more-so) potent then black market marijuana. Why? They all cultivate their own "Dank" or "Green Bud" strains just like any other pot farm, only they can do it legally. I'm pretty sure the weed is universal no matter where you go on our blue planet - but being able to buy it like that makes me wonder exactly how much you pay too, since my friend was the one who bought when we went to Colorado. I just know it wasn't no 20 a Gram.
  3. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHome Community Champion

I haven't even thought about that! It's not legal in my state but I wondered how it was going in Colorado now. I would imagine it's a bit pricier for the convenience factor.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am really not sure how much it costs because I have not been into one of the stores, but I heard that it is not cheap. It is probably a big money maker though. I have also heard that the farmers do not get as much money selling it to the manufacturers than they do selling it through the underground market.
  5. Shimus

It IS a huge money maker. Colorado in 2014 had somewhere in the ballpark of 700 million dollars. Over the next five years, they expect that to triple if not quadruple as more people become familiar with their regulations and laws/and more people move there. I think right now they said they were on pace to break 1 billion in the 2015 fiscal year.

That to me, is a HUGE market, that was potentially untapped for all this time. And this, sadly, I feel is how the government views it as well. They don't see the negatives, they just see dollar signs and their eyes light up. Taxable income.
  6. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I checked with prices, they are still less expensive than what you can find in the black market here. Some fellows from around here would really love to go there and buy your stuff for that price, even though we're technically poorer in every aspect. :)
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

We have no idea until you can show us some illegally bought marijuana so we can do a test. But from what I see the legalized marijuana stores are taking their growth very seriously and the strains they are developing is very strong. So there is no short cuts because it is a highly competitive market.
  8. Shimus

I've smoked both legal and non-legal varieties (quite a lot, I might say) and I can definitely say there really isn't any difference in potency. They don't attempt to 'kill the flavor or high' just to sell it to the public market, no more then that weed dealer down in your apartment building selling his new "XXX named" strain from "BC or otherwise" - it tastes the same, and the prices are about equal without needing to deal with the shady distributors. You roughly pay 5-10 more dollars for the same "Gram" or as I like to call it a "Convenience fee" to get it readily. The same stuff I'd get four doors down - but when it's already pre-wrapped, for sale, and ready to be consumed sitting on a store shelf with XXX other brands, you're definitely gunna go shopping. I guess you just end up paying a bit extra due to access.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I have noticed the difference between the everyday weed available in my part of the world and that which is sold in the coffeeshops of Amsterdam. However, this is likely to be because of growers in the UK wanting to turn the crop around as quickly as possible and not giving the plants enough time to grow and dry out.
  10. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

To the mind and such you would think the legal version of weed would be very watered down and what not compared to the black market person, but its actually the same thing, less expesive too which is a win draw situation.
  11. Shimus

ZX, while it may even be stronger or more potent since it's grown and looked after specifically for that purpose - it doesn't make it less expensive, at least not around where I live. It's still cheaper (if not the same price) to go the shady guy down in the apartment complex rather then running to a store or dispensary, in the long haul - gas, wear and tear on your car or vehicle, availability - it actually is around the same price. Though some dispensary strains I smoked were definitely more potent, they also had a price tag to fit it as well.
  12. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I imagine there will be more quality control.
    Thing about illegal dope is we don't know how strong it is, with legal dope we can test it.
    So it could be stronger, could be weaker or could be both! But at least the consumer knows.
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Here in Canada we don't have "pot store" so to speak, but we have medicinal dispensaries. In my experience, it seems that you get more control over what you smoke in terms of strength and the chemical makeup of the pot (indica vs. sativa). Some people prefer a pot to be potent in CBD while some prefer a pot potent in THC. So yes, they tend to be more potent assuming you know what you're doing.
  14. Shimus

I think also half the reason some of the 'store-bought' type of marijuana is stronger is simply because it's more fresh. Packaged and sealed and cared for properly instead of Mason Jars from the Shady Dealer down the block. You have to assume getting it fresh off a line of production right to a store/dispensary is going to be simply more potent since it hasn't had time to dry out further or crumble into shake.
  15. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Cannabis from stores is much more safer to buy than black market buyers. This is true because stores need to maintain a reputation to be able to continue to prosper where as a generic dealer can simply move from one set to another. Because investing in a store is much more expensive for the business owner, they are less likely to do something negative to the product.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

A friend of mine has a dispensary in California. I didn't try any of her stuff. I listened to her selling. It sounds like to me that this stuff is even stronger. The street stuff I don't think anyone is going to warn you. She had a few that she said to a guy for him to please stay home that he shouldn't drive. I don't know. I think they are going all out with it now.
    kush likes this.
  17. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It should be really good quality. Since it's not illegal they won't have to rush and buy low quality weed. I think if there are other stores around that sell this they won't be keeping low quality weed. It's safer too because you don't have to worry about it being laced or something . I'm not promoting the use of weed I'm just telling you that a store
    wouldn't sham on quality.
  18. juno

juno Community Champion

I think you have a better chance of getting the real thing when you buy form a legal store compared to a dealer on the streets. Something on the black market has a higher chance of being contaminated with because there is no regulation.

I also think many of the stores have different options. You can just go into the shop, browse and purchase what you think is the best in what ever form you want.
  19. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Potency is best defined by the amount you take in - not necessarily by whether or not the supplier is legitimate. Yes an illegally distributed marijuana packet may be more concentrated than a packet sold at a pharmacy. However, if you buy dozens of those "legal marijuana" products and consume them on an excessive basis... the results would essentially be the same.
  20. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I don't think there is much difference in potency or in price. I certainly don't think it is more convenient to go to a store to get it than to have a guy meet you at your house or an agreeable location, other than not having to make a plan in advance.

Personally I think legalization is a good thing but right now it is kind of a confusing market, I'm interested to see how things shake out in the end. (no pun intended hahaha!)