An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Strange addiction

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Jai50, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

My son txt me a strange message the other day. He wanted me to get him a $20 Itune card. Right after the txt he called and told me he needed right away. Without thinking I grabbed the $15 he was saving and started riding to the store. He txt me again asking me if I got it yet. I also told him he only had $15. He asked me to borrow $5 in which I had no problem doing. I told him to give me a few and I'll call him when I had it.
    He also gave me some excuse he didn't want his dad to know about it.
    Anyway I got the iTunes card started riding home I new there was something up because the tone in his voice. He kinda sounded like me when I was in my addiction. Giving to much unnecessary information or when my friends wanted to borrow money from me to get high and they didn't want me to know.
    So I called him told him I got the card then asked what was it really for??? All I heard was silence he's only 14 so it's hard for him to think of something real quick.
    I remembered his dad calling him asking about some strange charges on his credit card from his cell phone bill. Then the truth came out. He is addicted to some game on line. His dad was already mad about him putting charges on his credit card without his knowledge for this game now he was trying to hustle me.
    He didn't want to talk to me at that time all he wanted was the iTunes card code to play the game. I guess they give you so much time before you can't get more Heroes he said. Also he needed his fix.
    Well I gave him the code told him he was addicted to this game it consuming him if he needs to lie and steal to play this game.
    A few hours later when he got his fix and he was feeling better he called me and let it all out about taking money from his dad and sister to play this game. I explained addiction to him and he would have to taper down only play it once a day then every 2days and so on. I also told him if he gets good grades this semester I would get him another iTunes card. I also let him know that someone was getting very rich off of him. The game is like a drug dealer.
    I was telling this to my sister about this and my 15 year old nephew also has been taking money from her to play games on line.
    Addiction is strange very strange.
    Oh hi everyone it's been awhile I had a bizzy summer I'm still clean and feeling good.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Jai50

Hello and welcome. Addiction is surely interesting isn't it? I'm glad that you were Able to notice this and have a conversation with him on ways that he can work on overcoming it. Gaming addiction is for real and so many individuals are caught up in that. And many parents don't know how to contend with it. I think the kids need to go to professional counselor sometimes, because some just receive better and are more open with a neutral third-party over mom or dad. Thanks for bringing this to our attention though.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Jai50... First off, I'm glad you're still clean and feeling good. That's wonderful news!

As far as your son goes... Yes, gaming addiction and internet addiction are big problems these days. I'm sorry to hear that your son is struggling with this. But it's a good thing that you're now aware of it, and that you had a talk with him about addiction. It may be that you'll have to figure out how to limit the amount of time your son spends online playing this game. Does he play it on a computer? Is there any way you can restrict his access to the computer? Just curious.
  4. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

They play on there phones. And yeah it can be restricted.
  5. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

If it were me, I would consider putting some restrictions in place so they can't play whenever they feel like it. But that's just my 2 cents.