An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Strange Addictions

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by Gin0710, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

People with strange addictions need help just like people with drug or alcohol addictions. This could be therapy, counselling or support groups. I've watched the series "My Strange Addiction" just last week with the top ten strangest addictions. I remember a woman addicted to eating her husband's ashes and another woman addicted to enhancing her breast beyond normal size.

The former woman was said to seek help though. She went through counselling although the documentary reported that she didn't push through it. The other woman seems to not want any help at all and even continued enlarging her breasts despite the disapproval of her children.
  2. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I am not sure what type of strange addiction you are referring to. I think one has to use the resources they can to learn about the addiction and then seek help to overcome it. I personally feel that there is nothing new under the sun. Therefore, it is someone out there that has the same addiction. That being said, I’m sure you are not alone and can find help for your problem.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Strange addiction? Hmm... Here in my country, a lot of street kids are addicted to Rugby. It's a type of contact cement. They sniff it and they get high. It's a big problem here in my country as Rugby is readily available in hardware stores. Some of these street kids resort to petty theft and other crimes just to fund their addiction.
  4. Min

Min Active Contributor

@Mara I'm surprised they don't put Rugby behind a locked cabinet if it's so addictive. I know that here, for instance, if we go to a hardware store all of the paint that kids here use for huffing is put behind a locked grate. Which is annoying for anyone who's there to buy it for the actual purpose of painting since it's usually hard to find a worker to come unlock the cage! But there would be no petty theft as you describe. A small investment for the stores, and a lot of problems solved - or at least cut down, I would think?
  5. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I think its only considered a "strange addiction" to some because they don't understand it. Although, I do think its a good question, would people who have a different type of addiction seek help else where? My family knows someone who eats items other than food and it can be very dangerous to consume but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for help.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

No. People here don't put them in locked doors or cages. They can easily be purchased. There is a law that prohibits the selling of Rugby to minors. But it would seem that a lot of store owners here are willing to break the law just to make a profit. Or probably they just don't care what happens to those children that they sell Rugby to. It's mostly street children who become addicted to it. And to fund their addiction, they rob, they steal, and they even form street gangs and extort money from hapless victims. It's really sad.
  7. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I know when I lived in California, kids were getting into markers. I thought that was pretty weird. My daughters were not allowed to buy them at Walmart. I had to be right there with them. The sad this is kids don’t look at the dangerous side effects of the chemicals in products. They just focus on the high. :(
    Min likes this.
  8. Min

Min Active Contributor

I think it's ironic that a store will make an adult be with a child to buy the product that is then marketed to children! In other words - makers of markers really should be more cautious about what they're putting into a product that is obviously going to be used by children. It's almost like putting whiskey on an envelope that you know a child will lick. I guess there are non-toxic markers, and so therefore companies are taking heed, but it's still so strange that any company would include something that is dangerous to a child, or anyone who inhales too much.