An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Strange Reaction to Marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by BoredPostman, Feb 27, 2016.

1. BoredPostman

BoredPostman Member

So here's a bit of a background regarding weed and myself. I've been smoking for roughly three years, and on average I smoke 3-4 times a week, never more than a gram at a time. There have been occasions where I have smoked more than a gram though, sometimes as much as an eighth in one sitting - and again, I've never had any negative side effects besides red eyes, the munchies, wanting to go to sleep, etc. I've mixed marijuana with alcohol more times than I can count; and again, I've never had any adverse reactions.
    So last night I smoke one bowl from a bubbler with some friends of mine, and it has a fair amount of kief on it - it was also a fairly large bowl, and I took some very large hits that made me feel a little queasy. This has happened before though, and usually subsides fairly quickly. We walk the two or so blocks back, and I'm feeling okay. When we get back to my friend's room, I sit down and one of my friends tells me I look a little pale. I shrug it off, as I feel fine, just really high. The roughly 10 people in the room keep asking me if I'm alright, and say I look like corpse. I look in the mirror and see that they're right - I'm a very fair-skinned person to begin with, but my face is white as a sheet, and my lips are white as well. I'm also cold to the touch, and kinda clammy. Taking my friend's advice, I go to my room and go to bed, feeling lightheaded and unsteady on my feet. I'm helped back to my room by my girlfriend, and I start to feel nauseous and I go to the bathroom. Eventually I take a shower, and I end up puking a lot of stuff up. After this I feel a lot better, and end up going to sleep. Today I feel like I have a bad hangover, despite only drinking maybe 3-4 shots last night.

Have similar experiences happened with any of you? Researching my symptoms, I found CHS, but it usually only affects people who smoke up 7 grams a week, a few times a day, and I'm nowhere near that level.

Any responses are appreciated!
  2. healey

healey Member

I've had this happen before and I think it was from dehydration or lack of nutrition when I did it. At first, I had some worries about it being 'laced' or something I'd seen in movies- but years later, I believe it had to do with me not drinking enough water. I've had a similar reaction from alcohol.
  3. BoredPostman

BoredPostman Member

Okay this makes sense, as I hadn't drank very much water that day and I usually make it a point to stay hydrated. Thanks for the info!
  4. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I had something similar happen once when I had smoked some weed. I had not had any alcohol though but I was just so high and I was sitting on the couch when everything just started spinning and then I had the sudden urge to throw up. After I did, I no longer felt high and the spinning had stopped. So I just went to bed after that and woke up feeling much better. It makes sense that being dehydrated would make you feel nauseous after smoking weed.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is what we refer to in the UK as a "whitey". It's rare but it does happen sometimes when smoking marijuana with extremely high THC levels. It's a bit like spinning out from alcohol but from marijuana instead. Probably the nearest thing to a "marijuana overdose"! I've seen it happen to just about every weed smoker I've ever known at some point.
  6. achexx84

achexx84 Active Contributor

I have had that happen before, but never actually threw up from it. I just had to lay there and focus on breathing, because I was so freaked out. I ate and drank a ton of water and felt like a brand new person. Now, I make sure I have water or tea nearby when I smoke just to chase it and fight cotton mouth as well.
  7. EJR

EJR Member

I had a similar effect like this years ago. I had heart palpitations almost like an anxiety attack and I threw up a lot too after some dizziness as well. To this day, I have no idea what that was but it kept me from smoking for years.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

If this happens to you in the UK and your friends are smokers, they will all start laughing at you and making fun of you. It's akin to someone not being able to handle their drink and therefore being deemed a "lightweight" - same thing with marijuana. If it causes you to spin out or go on a "whitey" then it's because you are a "lightweight" - you can't handle the potency of the marijuana.
  9. henry

henry Community Champion

In my opinion, it wasn't the weed. This sound a lot more like your body wasn't feeling right to take on some alcohol that day. If you're a drinker, you know that sometimes you get drunk with a couple of drinks, and sometimes it takes a whole bottle and then some to get you where you want to be. Seems like your body wasn't in a party mood that day.
  10. rjs5248

rjs5248 Member

There could have been other substances mixed in with the weed that you were unaware of. Since you are a seasoned smoker and have never experienced this before, I would lean more towards the theory that there was something else in the mix.
  11. jackiewbu

jackiewbu Member

I agree the weed could've been laced. You could've also been smoking spice, which gives similar feeling of being high. In all my years of smoking I've never had this happen to me. Although if it was for sure weed the bubbler you were using could've been dirty. I used to smoke out of a bong all the time with a group of friends and every time someone new hit the bong it made them throw up. We still aren't really sure of the cause but it sounds like a similar situation.
  12. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Active Contributor

It happened to me once, I also asked a friend of mine who has smoked weed for a long time and he told me that I had to drink a lot of water andeat a lot in order to avoid those sympthoms, you should try it, it really worked for me.
  13. CarolinaV

CarolinaV Member

That happened to me a couple times. I had just smoked and my heart started racing and I felt as if I was about to faint. I don't know why sometimes it happens but thankfully it only happens rarely. I think that in my case it is connected with my diet. If I hadn't eaten for a long period of time before smoking, it is more likely to happen. I would say that in your case you should analyze your whole day prior to that incidence to try to find the source of your problem.
  14. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I never had something like that happening to me, however, I met this guy once who used to tell me all kind of weed facts, he said once that after you ingest THC in your system, your body starts to eliminate the zinc for some reason, have you considered the fact that you've been anemic at that very moment and that's why you started to look like a corpse, maybe it was a metal or mineral who was severely lacking from you body, as a result of your marijuana smoking habit.
  15. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

Everyone has different reactions to drugs as we are all made differently. That is commonly why you see a ton of side effects on over the counter drugs and what not, because they are all the symptoms they reported in a trial of the drug. Never had anything happen to me like that though...