An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Struggle with Alcohol

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by wlrahilly, Nov 6, 2014.

1. wlrahilly

wlrahilly Member

Hey everyone.

I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic, however, when I do start drinking, I don't stop until I've pretty much passed out. My dad was an alcoholic and my grandfather as well. It does run in my family. I can go days without drinks, but when they are in front of me and I start drinking, that's it. I'm drinking. Any thoughts?
  2. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

Well, first of all, welcome to the forum. I'm not an expert in the matter, but you certainly seem to have a self-control problem. Don't think that because your dad and your grandad were alcoholics, it's something that you can't fight against. There are many resources here on this page, and also you can read about other members' experience, and maybe learn from them.

One of the things I used to do to try to control myself was spacing out the glasses or bottles I would drink in a a party, for example. I would drink a couple of beers, then a soda or water, then another beer, and so one. I would end up drinking less and less, up until I could just control the urge.

The truth is, you have to learn to control yourself. Start by taking this test to see if you should be concerned:

http://talk.drugabuse.com/threads/alcohol-abuse-self-assessment-screening-quiz.105/
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Also - I'm going to move this thread over to the alcohol section. Just so you know :)
  5. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

For me, when I was 18 I drank socially, then throughout my twenties I was still ok but around the age 25 I started to hide booze. After a night out I would go home and drink more. This was when I tipped over the edge from heavy drinker to alcoholic. I dont know if people are born with it but its certainly a possibility.

If you feel you have to drink then it's certainly something to think about. It may already be a problem, if not, like me you could get worse. Put simply, alcohol started to cause me major problems so I have a problem with it.
  6. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

'I have been to there before. It is hard to resist when alcoholic drinks are placed in front of you. It is so vivid with its smell and attracting look. You have better avoid going to bars and storing alcohols in your house. You have already addicted to it.
  7. SuphaflyUK

SuphaflyUK Member

Going into pubs was always a tricky thing for a while but now I can go in and have my soft drinks. The only problem is that testing oneself by going into these places can lead to relapse. Luckily my friends know that I dont drink and do not pressure me to drink at all.
  8. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Don't worry wlrahilly, I sometimes drink myself until I pass out, it's a bad habit but I'm overcoming it after years of doing my own blackout binges with ethanol beverages. A good way I avoid blacking out is to buy and drink good beer, balance the amount of beers I have with a cup of water, and drink only if I have food available to eat. Oh, and quality ethanol beverages, has a different effect on me because I will be more interested in tasting and savoring it, than I do with the cheap beers that I simply want to gulp down - this little change in beer quality, has helped me buy less amount and helped slow my consumption amount down a lot.

It's the small things one does, that can add up to creating big changes for one. Also, what one can easily do, one can easily not do too.
  9. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

regardless of if you consider yourself an alcoholic or not drinking till you pass out is not healthy in any way. It will lead to many serious health issues one of which is alcoholism. Sooner or later you will gain a dependency on it and you wont be able to stop yourself from drinking all the time. You should begin now that you still have control of the situation and just drink till you get a nice buzz and just enjoy it dont go past what you cant handle. A good way to do it is to take it in moderation and to take a break in between drinks to let you body finish processing the the first one. This is a good way save money as well since you wont be buying so many drinks through the nght, event, party etc....
  10. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Too much of something [even if it's a one-off thing] is dangerous.
    There's one man I knew who died because he drank too much in one night.
    Seems to me that though you might not have an alcohol problem, you certainly need to do something about the way you drink. If you must drink then choose to drink at home. Drink a bottle or two of beer. But it would be a lot better if you quit drinking completely.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have the same problem where I can go for weeks without drinking then all of a sudden i get a little taste of alcohol and then I drink all night til the sun comes up. I don't know what it is, but all the pent up feeling and energy comes out when I'm drunk and I can't stop. Bad habit, I know. I just need to tell myself to go home and sleep once I get to a certain point.
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I guess that is worrying. I know I tend to do it that way for some of my habits but I always try to be conscious not to go overboard and thankfully I am able to help it most of the time. I think if you have a family history of it then you should be extra careful. It's probably best to find a way to control it while it's not a problem yet.
  13. TXgirlNCworld

TXgirlNCworld Member

I understand what you are going through. I watched my father go through it for years, he would try and stop and something would trigger him to continue. A lot of people do not realize how deeply alcoholism is embedded into the brain, which is why it is hard to quit. But as far as family members triggering you, you should talk to them and tell them that you are trying not to drink all the time. They may not realize watching them drink, triggers your desire for a drink and they may start to change making it easier on you. You are not alone and some people may not be aware they need help, don't be afraid to get it.
  14. ImMrCuriosity

ImMrCuriosity Member

I totally understand what you are talking about, man. I had the same problem years ago, until I got a fright. I think that you actually can control that impulse of drinking so much. But it is true that doing it by yourself is pretty difficult, almost impossible. You need the help of your friends and so on. They must understand what you feel when they drink, so try to convey your feelings to them, and I'm pretty sure that they will try to help you. Nothing in this life is easy, but isn't impossible either.