An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Study: Marijuana and Lower IQ in Adolescents

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by irishrose, Oct 28, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, marijuana does have some bad effects if you abuse it, so the study makes sense. The fact that drugs can change our moods and how we think just goes to show that it can negatively impact our brain.
  2. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

Theres is an effect on short-term memory from smoking cannabis every day, or smoking it over a long period. I suffered from it myself during the few years that I smoked it. I felt that a few months after I had given it up my brain functions seemed to bounce back and my memory, which was always quite good, recovered back to its previous level as far as I could tell, although I was not a teen when I first smoked it and I gave up after a few short years. I've heard that a persons brain continues developing until the early twenties at least, I'm not sure if thats true but it would explain why teenage smokers suffer reduced memory function permanantly after stopping.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I find most "scientific studies" to be rubbish, but this one I actually believe. Not only does the cannabis ruin your brain and lower your IQ, but the other negative health effects make it something any adolescent should avoid. I guess they weren't very smart to begin with if they were using marijuana but they should acknowledge the fact that it can only make you dumber! My son once told me that there was a "stoner" type of kid in his school that went around telling everyone that "weed makes you smarter."

It just proves that arrogance and ignorance are the main reasons the kids do what they do, even when they are oblivious to the fact that they don't know it. Education isn't the only factor that influences their decisions when it comes to drugs. This is why parents need to step in and raise their children right, as opposed to leaving that job to the teachers.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I read about this not so long ago, this explains so many things! I am actually glad I only smoked this crap a couple times while growing up and not more. I know someone who smoked this for very long though... that explains so many things, lol. Another good reason not to let your teenage kids smoke pot... like we didn't have enough reasons already.