An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Suboxone and Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Heather2605, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Heather2605

Heather2605 Member

So I'm new to this site and looking for advice/ other people going through the same thing. I'm 36 yrs old and both my husband and I have dealt with addiction. We are completely on the same page right now. We got help at the exact same time (sub doc) and we have improved our lives so much since 5 yrs ago. We are both down to 1/2 sub a day and both hold successful full time jobs while maintaining a loving household to our 2 kids. Sounds great, but I have gained so much weight (87 pounds in 5 years) that I am super depressed. My husband has gained some weight too but I think he's gorgeous. I just wanna know if I'm alone in this? Going to a weight loss site feels wrong bc while I sympathize with them, Im scared of being judged bc I'm an addict. So has anyone else dealt with this and what did you do that helped?
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Heather hello there! welcome! thanks for reaching out. i think it's great that you and your husband have dealt with this addiction together and that you're doing so well. good for you!!!

you'll never be judged here...for anything :)

weight gain... it can be an issue for anyone. your task will be to try to find a path that will help you when it comes to getting to a weight that you're ok with. are you able to see a therapist? perhaps this could help with any underlying issues that could be going on (the depression... is it a food addiction?) or is it a byproduct of the sub? i was pleased to find out my insurance covered seeing a dietitian... was very helpful for me!

you are def not alone when it comes to weight issues. but here lies an opportunity to learn more about nutrition...and more.

how's your diet? i mean, what kinds of foods are you eating? are you open to regular exercise?

i do want to encourage you to LOVE YOURSELF right where you are. we can be so hard on ourselves... but you are a beautiful soul exactly where you are...at your current weight. and if you desire to lose some weight, i believe you will be able to when you find your path... unique for you.

we are here to support you however we can. and again, so proud of you for doing the hard work to get where you are today!!
    deanokat likes this.
  3. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Heather2605 many addicts gain weight because now they remember to eat and food tastes good again sometimes you substitute bad food for the drugs. Going to OA or something like that is a great idea. You don't have to tell anyone you are an addict but you may find other ones there. Congratulations on 5 years!
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  4. DoxyMom

Thanks for sharing your story
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  5. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@DoxyMom great suggestion on the Overeater's Anonymous. I forgot that there is this group out there!
    deanokat likes this.
  6. DoxyMom

@Dominica Thanks! It seems there is an anonymous for everything.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. True concern

True concern Moderator

@Heather2605 One contributing factor is the substances keep you from withdrawal which in turn prevents all the toxins from leaving your intestines, it may sound crazy but that weight won't go away until you endure a few day's of full blown withdrawal which will without doubt leave you stuck on the toilet however the toxins and poison in your bowels absolutely must come out maybe 2 day's of camping on the toilet will unblock the waste which is preventing a healthy bowel movement and then your system will begin to function the way it's supposed to. STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
    deanokat likes this.
  8. kellywet20

kellywet20 Member

I suffered from drug addiction for a long time. But it is very difficult to quit drugs, so I went through a long course of treatment. I almost didn't eat when I was using drugs because I didn't want to. So the drugs made me very thin, and the doctors told me that I could become anorexic. I started carefully counting the number of calories I consumed per day. Moreover, my girlfriend gave me https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/ to keep track of my weight. My girlfriend's support helped me to survive.