An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Suboxone Treatment - The Stigma

Discussion in 'Buprenorphine Treatment' started by princepts, Dec 18, 2014.

1. princepts

princepts Member

I would like to see just how many people have experienced the stigma frequently bequeathed to those actively taking Buprenorphine (suboxone, subutex). Whether it is the scowl received from a family member who does not agree with the mode of treatment, or the snide remarks from an arrogant pharmacist as they fill the prescription for the addiction treatment medication. Why do you believe such a negative outlook exists? Will the addiction treatment venues ever be received along side those with what we would consider normal mental or physical disorders? Will the drug addict taking suboxone ever be held in the same regard as a manic depressant being medicated for their disorder? My own experience has taught me that caution is the wise choice. The circle of my family shunned me, like I wore the Scarlet "S" (Suboxone). Still, they witnessed the positive impact it had on my life. I was able to work and to do things that I would never have been able to do when I was riding the oxycontin express. I was not spending my afternoons trying to find pills. I wasn't shackled by the anxiety of wondering if I was going to be dope sick the following day. I had a legitimate prescription by a licensed physician for a wonderful treatment medication; one that helped give me my life back. I dosed every morning. That was it, just once a day! My dose was slowly tapered and eventually the crutch was removed from my presence. I went to N.A. I received counseling and even had a sponsor. Yet, there were those few people who looked at me as if I was walking around with a needle hanging out of my arm, or as if I had pill residue coming out of both nostrils! Society, when uninformed, is such a childish mechanism. I know it works. Sure buprenorphine can be abused. On the whole, however, it is a much safer alternative to oxycontin, heroin or prescription drugs that can derail the precious mind and life of anyone willing to give it an inch. The stigma exists, but for me it was not a deterrent!
  2. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I have mentioned this same sentiment on another thread but when it comes to suboxone and other withdrawal therapy meds you really have to be careful to avoid creating a secondary addiction. If you decide to use these meds there will be people who frown upon it -- who will say you are just trading one drug for another - and while for some people this might be the case, these medications can be helpful for those who are careful not to abuse them. I definitely recommend not only working closely with your physician but also with a therapist who can help you cope with your changes and avoid abusing the medications.
  3. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi princepts. People generally judge and comment whatever the case is. That is human nature. You can't control that. If the medication has given you more good than harm, then that is all that matters. However, like what Nikki said, take caution against a possible abuse of the medication. If you give into a probable addiction to that med, then you are just confirming the reason why people make snide remarks about your treatment. Don't give them that reason. For one thing, their negative reaction can even be viewed as their concern about your welfare. Hope you perceive it in that manner as well.

Continue to seek counseling and guard yourself with an obvious choice that you have finally put an end to your addiction of whatever kind of substance. All the best to you!