An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Suboxone

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Jpa410, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Jpa410

Jpa410 Active Contributor

question? After quitting my hydrocodone I went on suboxone for 5 days will I still withdrawl if I stop the suboxone?
  2. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Stupidity Exists - Fact.

yes. if you have a tolerance to any amount of suboxone to where you can comfortably take it to make you feel better, then you are dependant on opiods. there are a number of things you can do to make it better easier, like taper. and i would taper fast if you've only been using subs for 5 days. subs are soooo much harder to kich than vicodin. it's good you are thinking of this now. a month from now makes a big difference. like you need to handle this now. if you wait then this could be a life changing addiction for you. if you can avoid it you do not at all want to get dependant on subs.
    i would know i take it myself. and i would probably have died without it, heroin addict...but stop now. not tomorrow, start a fast taper and get off now.
    it's the difference between saving your life and getting an addiction to s super expensive drug that you absolutely cannot function without. please take my advice. ask anyone else. get other opinions and see what they tell you. these subs are really harder to kick than you think.
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Jpa410... I think @Joshstillclean has given you some excellent insight and advice. I really have nothing to add to what he told you. But I do want to tell you that I think it's great that you've quit hydrocodone. Good for you! Taper off the Suboxone and do your best to stay on the right path, my friend. And you can always lean on us for support!
    Dominica and Joshstillclean like this.
  4. Jpa410

Thank you both!! So I have two subs left if I 1/4 those for 4 days will withdrawal be minimal after that? I really don’t want to get the another script been off the hydrocodone for about a week be.
    deanokat, Onceaddicted77 and Dominica like this.
  5. Joshstillclean

are they 2 mg or 8 mg strips? VERY important also, how much hydro were you on and how long?
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  6. Joshstillclean

oh , re-read so if you cut them into .25 then wouldn't that make an 8 day supply? or are you dosing twice a day?
    i'm really trying to help you out here. and i believe i can but all of this info is important to know before i can tell one way or the other. also gotta know to give advice...can;t be too detailed in your use mgs. a day, how you take sub, when and the mgs a day and per dose. do you feel a comedown between doses? all of it helps me to help you.
    and anyone else with sub experience for that matter. i think @Onceaddicted77 would have good advice.
    deanokat, Onceaddicted77 and Dominica like this.
  7. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Jpa410 thanks for reaching out! josh has given some great input.. hope it helps!! and yes, we are here for you anytime!
    deanokat and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  8. Onceaddicted77

Onceaddicted77 Spam fighting Moderator & Realist Community Listener

Hi welcome glad your here I hope we can help you in anyway. We are just like you I recently quit Suboxone after 7 years of maintenance.

I think a important question to better understand your situation is how long did you take the hydrocodone and what was your average dose per day.

This will give us a better understanding of what shape your brain chemistry is in, even after the suboxone you might would still be feeling withdrawl from the hydrocodone use.

Withdrawl as in your Homeostatic process may still be out of whack.

Withdrawl comes from tolerance build and is only a stress response but if you wanted to read about our endocannabinoid system Cbd could do wonders for speeding that process up I have read.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.
  9. Jpa410

Well I have been taking hydrocodone on and off for about 5 years. Recently was down to taking 5-8 a day 5 mg! Haven’t taking any for about 7 days. I started taking 8mg subs last Wednesday about half a tablet in the morning then half later in the day.
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  10. Onceaddicted77

Awesome man you got down that low proud of you!

Ok im gonna speak direct that is way to much buprenorphine for the withdrawl from hydrocodone. Also buprenorphine has a duration of action for 24 hours and a 37 hour half life.

I would honestly only dose one time a day and I wouldn't take more than a quarter of that 8 mg. Infact I would start experimenting with just how little you could get by on. When I quit I could make a 2mg last 2 weeks. I found that taking it around 11am resulted in better sleep.

Basically what's gonna happen is your replacing the harder withdrawl from the full agonist a kinda ruff withdrawl but shorter one with a longer withdrawl but Milder.

We all have to pay the price of taking opioids for years and we pay it with downregulated opiate receptors those must heal and it can be done, we have faith in ya. Time and abstinence is the only way.

Put your mind in the right place and feel happy about wanting to get clean and make it happen I know you can.

We will be here to support you!
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  11. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Jpa410 hoping you have a good day today. know that we are here for you!
  12. Jpa410

Thank you!! I am just trying to decide what is the best decision is!!
  13. Jpa410

Decision being is the two subs split up going to be enough or should I fill my script and wean down longer? Should I just suck it up and get it over with? I just hate the withdrawal!! Just trying to figure out the easiest route?
  14. Onceaddicted77

I would do an experiment today and see how you feel on a qrter of one like 2mgs. Can you get 2mgs from your doc?
    Joshstillclean, Dominica and deanokat like this.
  15. Jpa410

I am supposed to go see them today I am sure they can do that. Will try that today see how it goes. Thank you again!!
    Joshstillclean, Dominica and deanokat like this.
  16. Onceaddicted77

No problem at all. Yes please talk to your Dr about it and see what they think. It really helped me to have those 2mg ones buprenorphine is a really strong medication.

We gotta remember if we are atleast not feeling the withdrawl a little bit then we are not healing.
    Joshstillclean and Dominica like this.
  17. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Sending you positive, healing energy, @Jpa410. Definitely talk to your doctor about your situation. And let us know how you're doing later today.
  18. Joshstillclean

i am late getting online to the site today. just now am reading everything. decision time for sure!
    what @Onceaddicted77 said is so true. accurate to the inth degree.
    bupe is strong enough to competely mask H withdrawal. and even tho hydrocodone is a full agonist and it sucks its a very short lived withdrawal. a week and your back in action in most cases. espcially since you were on such a low dose when you jumped off hydros competely. honestly if you were to take that many hydros now and even double the mgs say to 10 then even at 80 mgs even taken all at once, you wouldnt feel anything.
    you are shooting your tolerance through the roof with taking 8's.
    a partial dose of a 2 is really all you need. and if you do feel withdrawal it's most likely from the 8 mg sub. noone needs that much puprenorphine unless you trying to quit methadone or something. or a fenynal addiction-something crazy next to overdose levels of opioid strong. that's coming from experience. some doctors will prescribe way to much bupe and no idea how strong it is. if you didn't have a tolerance this amount would most likely have you wanting to go to the ER.
    theres nothing to add to what onceaddicted said.
    i can tell he truly has had a dependency to sub not because hes quoting a study-because they dont tell you these things in studies. these are the things you gotta find out when you take way to much over time and have to pay the price. hes right. start seeing how little you can get away with. i would get twos and throw the 8's away if you do get them. when you start dividing up a 2mg piece of an eight you just about have to have a microscope to get it accurate everytime. and this really needs to be accurate for you to fully bennefit.
    good luck with your doctor! keep us posted, we care.
    Jpa410 and Onceaddicted77 like this.
  19. Jpa410

Don’t think I will be going back to that place. Seems they are maybe just pushing theses pills. They gave me 4 more 8 mg just going to split up take low as possible dose and see how long I can handle before taking another one and get off of asap
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  20. Onceaddicted77

That sounds like a good plan start testing the waters so you'll have an ideal where your at on your tolerance. The lower that is the closer you are back to baseline.
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.