An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Substance abuse question

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Melody67, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Melody67

Melody67 Member

I've tried researching, but I get so little. My question is: what does suboxen do to a person not prescribed and what signs are there?
    True concern likes this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Suboxone stops a heroin addict from being sick also blocking the ability for heroin to get them high
  3. Kship01

Kship01 Member

Suboxone blocks the opioid receptors in your brain so you are unable to get high from opioids. It is a really good tool in weaning opioid addicts off of drugs as it greatly reduces the withdrawal symptoms. However, from personal experience, although Suboxone did not make me “high” I certainly was not myself while taking it. I did things that were out of character. When I decided to detox from the Suboxone it took a really long time to slowly wean off of it.
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Thanks for your insight, @Kship01. We really appreciate it!
  5. BP3312

BP3312 Member

Hi. Suboxone is an opiate antagonist. That means it reverses effects of opiates. However, this drug is also a controlled substance and can be abused. If you are not prescribed it and take it you might feel tired, dizzy or nauseous.
    To find a list of side effects you can go to a prescription drug website.
    deanokat likes this.