An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

substance's or personality?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pwarbi, Mar 22, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While its true that a lot of substance's both legal and illegal can be highly addictive, is this soley down to the actual drug or can a lot of whether somebody gets addicted or not be put down to the actual mentality of the person taking it in the first place?

Are some people more susceptible than others when it comes to getting addicted, whether that's drugs or anything?
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Some substances are physically addictive, meaning they cause physical changes to the body chemistry, which the body then relies on. Antidepressants, for example, create higher levels of Serotonin. Someone on a high dose may be able to stop taking them instantly without feeling any addiction to them, but that would cause changes in their brain chemistry too fast which would make them feel strange and could have profound side effects. Other substances, such as Marijuana for example, don't really affect the brain chemistry too much and only cause a psychological addiction, depending on a person's personality, state of mind, etc.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think some are more susceptible than others. Some can easily get convinced or persuade than others. Or some have stronger will powers than others.
    pineywood likes this.
  4. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I think it has a lot to do with the people you hang out with. If you keep your distance from addicts or wannabe addicts then you will be highly unlikely to become one yourself. If you do, however, sooner or later you'll get sucked into it. And most often than not, there's little you can do to avoid it. All that it takes is a moment of weakness and you're done for. The environment is a crucial factor, undoubtedly.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Yes, there are a number of people more susceptible to drugs than others. Why? You have take into consideration the following factors: emotional quotient, support system, inner resilience, environment, physical health, psychological well-being, the existence of goals, sources of inspiration and motivation or drive. These factors will make or break people's susceptibility to drugs.
    dyanmarie25 likes this.
  6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I read that children can inherit the addictive gene from their parents. So that's one way to explain it. Some people are predisposed to use. Some people are also hurting inside and using is a way to escape from their pain. Drugs are drugs. It's people and their hang ups that make them use it.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Genetic predisposition can make it easier for some people to be addicted to drugs. But that doesn't mean that someone who isn't likely to get addicted won't get addicted. In both cases attitude the attitude towards the drugs is what determines the outcome.

If someone thinks drugs are a solution to issues then obviously they'll end up being addicted while someone who knows their "weakness" and tries to avoid drugs might not get addicted or once they learn they have a problem and start fighting their addiction they'd win because they hate drugs. So IMHO, mentality is the more potent factor when it comes to addictions.
  8. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

In most instances, whether predisposed to addiction because of genes etc. you will find that individuals who take drugs are attempting to fill up or block out a sense of emptiness or pain. There is something missing or lacking in these lives. Many have survives some type of traumatic experience, but never really recovered. In some cases the trauma has been hidden and never shared with anyone.
  9. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

It's both.
    Some substances are highly addictive.
    Some people have highly addictive pesonalities.
    Sometimes it's genetic to a degree- or at the very least, it's more likely if you grew up around it. But it's also more likely if you hang out with other people who do abuse substances, so...
  10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

People differ from one another. Just because you get addicted to this specific drug doesn't mean it would have the same effect on me. Vice versa.
  11. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

An actual mentality? Hmmm I don't know. An actually mentality of being able to get addicted. Susceptible maybe. They are inclined to go that way. I think its a very good question. Most people are inclined to have one issue or another. If its not drugs or alcohol its food. Some sort of a vice. I think its good to put that sort of mentality to use. I mean if you are going to be addicted to something. How about working out? This is good for you. A hobby or something. I think it can be used constructively.
  12. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

There are some people with addictive personalities. Sometimes they will succeed in kicking one addiction, only to replace it with another. For example, when my dad gave up drinking alcohol, he turned to cigarette smoking instead. When he wanted to quit smoking, he chewed tobacco. He got off chewing tobacco by basically trying to substitute eating food as a comfort mechanism instead. Now, he may be free to drugs and alcohol, however, he still struggles with using food as a source of comfort by comfort-eating.
  13. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes, some people are more prone to addiction that others. Well, not necessarily to addiction, but to trying substances which could lead then on that path. I have met folks which did drugs but were not addicts, and were able to function perfectly well without them. This also influences someone's ability to quit addiction.
  14. layton

layton Member

I believe that some people are more likely to get addicted to things than others. For example their are some people that have "addictive personalities". For example how some individuals get addicted to people. They can have a mental disorder that can cause that individual to want certain medication because they think that it will stop their pain. I believe these people should seek out help whether it be an organization or family members.
  15. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I think that it really does just depend on the person and whether or not they have an addictive personality. I've watched people do a drug once and never even think about it again, but I've watched others do that same drug once and never be able to stop.
  16. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Yes, I think addiction is partly dependent on personality, body chemistry etc. It may also depend on he pariuclar drug you are taking and its potency. It is just one of the things that you might need to access before making a decision to use drugs. It is one of the options that someone needs to consider, of course yeah right, like that will happen!
  17. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

We are all capable of it. It's just a matter of trying it and getting addicted. Strong substances have that effect, no matter what kind of person you are.
  18. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Yes well, I think we can agree that it can be a little bit of both in most people or situations. In general, if your family members were addicted, chances are that you may become addicted easily too.
  19. knitmehere

knitmehere Community Champion

I think for a lot of addicts it is hard for them to admit that not everyone gets addicted so easily. They don't want to see themselves as weaker than other people, so they are convinced that it's all in how strong the drug is. Of course that is part of it, but it just as much comes down to the person.
  20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I think that it depends on the person, actually the other day in neurology class my teacher told us that some people have certain genetic predisposition to be more dependent on drugs that others, so bases on that I think that it's more a genetic than a personality thing.