An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

substance's or personality?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by pwarbi, Mar 22, 2015.

1. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I am an example of a person that does not get addicted to anything, since I already have tried to smoke weed and cigarettes, and even if I craved for it, in time I lost interest in consuming them. So I definitely believe that addiction to anything is personality dependent.
  2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

If a person learns they are genetically predisposed to addiction then this might empower the person to do something about it , right? I think it is a mixed bag of genes as well as the drugs itself. Maybe you weren't genetically predisposed to drug addictions but perhaps the drug has such bad effects on your body that it makes it hard to come off of it.
  3. pstrong1969

pstrong1969 Community Champion

whether a person gets addicted to a certain substance depends on brain chemistry. Some people are more genetically predisposed to substance addiction. Its not an accident that one person gets addicted to one substance and not another. Our genes dictate this. All a person has to do is try the substance and they can become addicted. For me I get addicted to any substance which changes how i feel, think, and act.
  4. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

After reading up on it, there's a lot of variables to getting addicted, most people would be surprised how much factors are involved. For me, I've always had an addictive personality, maybe call it genes or whatever, but not only in substance abuse, but as long as I can remember when I was a little kid, I had addictive/repetitive tendencies, such as getting hooked on games and not being able to stop until I beat them. I remember a friend in high school telling me jokingly "Dude, please don't ever gamble for your own good!"..