An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Substitutes for smoking

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Kappys, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Kappys

Kappys Member

Is there some kind of food or pleasurable activity that can bump a simple addiction? (Tobacco/Weed) I know it may sound easier than kicking an addiction really is but there must be some remedy.
    aztec99 likes this.
  2. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

My husband and I made the change to a "vapor" (not e-cig) to kick this habit. I was cigarette free in a few weeks, vapor free in a few months.

The vapors have stores with hundreds of flavors and different vapors to choose from. There are different levels of nicotine, ranging from 0-30, to help you depending on your nicotine dependency. We have enjoyed the "Anna Mae" flavors. They can be bought online and at better trusted vapor stores.

I do not recommend anything a gas station sells. Tobacco companies have put out similar product, including the e-cig, that causes more harm than good, in hopes that consumers will keep smoking their product. Not to mention the e-juices they sell are just plain nasty.

But honestly, I started at a level 12 (I barely smoked half a pack of cigarettes a day) and quit at a level 6. The craving for nicotine just disappeared in a course of 2 months. The change was not successful over night either. I did have occasional cigarette fits in the 1st 2 weeks, especially when around other smokers. But once I stopped coughing so much and regained my breathing level, the cigarettes were a thing of the past.

I have several friends who have successfully made the change as well, 4 in which urged me to try theirs because they wanted to see me healthier. And trust me when I say these friends are 2 pack a day smokers. They still do vapor, but according to them, their health has never been better.

Money wise, vapors are the way to go. Depending on the brand and model, its usually $25-$150
    for a starter kit (I do not recommend the expensive ones, unless you know exactly what you are buying) which comes with everything except the juice (and some stores give you a free sample). The coils (which you will have to replace like 2-4 times a month) cost anywhere from $2-$4 each or, you can buy in a box for a cheaper individual price (I buy brand name online and only costs at most .50 per coil). The juices themselves, the most I have seen are $14.00 for a 30 mL bottle of vapor juice, which is equivalent to 2 cartons of cigarettes. The 15mL bottles are the standard size, usually no more than $8 a bottle, but equivalent to 1 carton of cigarettes.

Make sure to look for store ratings before you check a store out. Unfortunately, some do try to sell fake/bootlegged items. Note that good stores usually have several vapors setup with rubber disposable tips so you can try any of the flavors they offer.

I will load a picture of the "Anna Mae" vapor juices we had left so you or anyone else interested know what to look for. If you need pictures of anything else, or questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps =^.^= anna mae.jpg
  3. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Aside from e-cigs, why don't you participate in your favorite sports or hobbies? Or try to learn a new skill, like cooking? I'm sure the more you that you get your mind preoccupied, the less you will feel that craving.
  4. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

&serenity , I am in no way trying contradict your advice or degrading your comment because physical hobbies can and will help any addiction in the long run. But I, in no way, suggested an e-cig. The only reason I am adding to this is because I could not stress enough how redundant they are.

As mentioned, e-cigs are produced by tobacco companies in one of 2 hopes.
    #1: Keep customers buying their product by offering an alternative to the vapors.
    #2: Make customers revert back to cigarettes by providing a product that is ineffective and just as bad, if not worst than, actually smoking a cigarette (and possibly cheaper, e-cigs are very expensive).

There is a big difference in vapor and e-cigs and knowing the difference is important if anyone plans to go this route.

Hope I have not offended anyone, just wanted to clarify.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I think that one should be careful not to try and replace an addiction with another because once you maybe go into pleasurable foods and you enjoy them so much that you can't stop yourself it will become another problem trying to quit too.

With that said, I agree with the physical activity suggestion...jumping into something you have perhaps always wanted to be involved in and making it habitual could distract you from the substance you are looking to for go!
    You can also of course try the vapor method that pandabear1991 suggested.

I find that chewing on sweets or gum helps with the focus. All the best!
  6. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I tend to do some exercising in the form of running or playing video games or board games with friends and family. You can also have some sugar free gum the urge to smoke hits you. I don't think smoking e-cigs is a good idea for stop smoking because it can lead to another form of addiction.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

You do not want to change your addictions. The key is to quit needing to do something and that is how you will eventually quit cigarettes. Gum is a good choice because it keeps your mouth busy. Other than that I would suggest picking up a hobby and doing some exercise.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Spend some time going out to newer places that does not involve smoking a cigarette. I would even recommend eating out at some nice buffets like the Chinese buffets. If you want try the gum and the patch that should work too.
  9. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I also recommend the e-cig. Or you could start with those herbal cigarettes that don't get you high. I think they sell them at specialty tobacco/cigar shops and maybe also head shops.

Those might help you keep your hands busy, and then I recommend some kind of nicotine patch or gum for the nicotine addiction.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

A lot of people are moving to vapor or e- cig to quit. However, I' m not sure how much bettter it is. I have a friend whow was using it and the smoke still anoyed me. So, it seems that you still get the simulated effect of smoking. How will it help you completely quit, if you still crave snd seek out this feeling. There are aldo pstches to slowly let go of the nicotine addiction.
  11. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

I was able to substitute snacking for smoking especially if the food is high in sugar, salt, or spice. Cinnamon candies, beef jerky, and Doritos are some of the examples of the snacks that I use to substitute for smoking. I understand that snacking can have negative effects on my health so I tried to substitute healthier "snacks" such as apples and grapes. I think because by doing that, my mouth started to enjoy tastes other than cigarette's and as the result, I managed to lose my enjoyment in smoking.
  12. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

i'm not that a heavy smoker, but i do smoke. There is a day that i simply not in a mood to smoke, so if that moment comes, i just a gum. somehow it helps me to fight the crave.
  13. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If you really want to keep your mind off of returning to your bad habits then it really is best to just dive in and drown yourself in work or any other productive hobby that would give you tangible and productive results. I also agree with panda that smoking vapors is a great way to quit cigarettes. I was skeptical of them at first but after tasting them I was convinced that there was finally a worthy substitute to cigarettes.
  14. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

A substitute to actual smoking are e-cigs and vaping, but I personally believe that finding a nice hobby is the best alternative. Having an activity that you actually enjoy doing and spending you're time on that activity not only distracts you from smoking, but also helps lessen the desire to actually smoke. I personally love going to the gym and exercising but finding any hobby that fits you is best.
  15. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

When I stopped smoking, the thing I found helped me the most was a simple deck of cards. It might sound weird but my hands and my mind were occupied on playing with them and learning new card tricks. I was always really pleased with myself when I learned a new flourish and before I knew it it had been three months since I had a smoke!
  16. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

What helped me to quit was keeping my mouth occupied, I chewed a lot of gum and ate candy and in the process ruined my teeth, but I managed to quit.
  17. juno

juno Community Champion

Sipping cold water through a straw is suppose to help. It creates a substitute for the puffing and helps release dopamine in your brain, which is a feel good chemical. I suppose this is another calorie free and healthy way to keep your mouth occupied.
  18. ebzo

ebzo Member

When I quit smoking I found that keeping busy was the key, also lots of out door time like going for jogs etc and taking a walk.. Pretty much anything that doesn't include smoke. You will find that the less you are bored the less you think about having a smoke.
  19. 6up

6up Community Champion

There is no substitute, I think so. Their must be a set goal, that is stopping smoking. What will happen if you get addicted to the substitute, you will find yourself in another trouble. Are you positive that you can quit smoking smoking, then that is possible. You have to know what made you start smoking, is it peer group influence or you started smoking out of stress. What makes you currently smoke, is it because of being with friends or it is because you are addicted to smoking. If stress makes you smoke, then you need to get out of the stress, since by being stress free, you will find yourself in a different situation, where you never feel about smoking again.
  20. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would not look for a substitute to smoking, but rather end the smoking habit altogether. To help with kicking your smoking addiction, I would start with some nicotine patches and e-cigs. Or you could just go cold turkey, but that is very difficult.