An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Success

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Zyni, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed." ~Booker T. Washington

(found at inspirational-quotes.info/success-quotes.html)

I think this is so true. What we face in life can shape us unto into the people we are supposed to be, even when we can't see it at the time. It can be so hard to see a good outcome. I've experienced things that I thought would absolutely ruin me, and they may have changed me for the worse temporarily, but not permanently.
    Winterybella likes this.
  2. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

Success is defined by personal expectation. Personal expectation is defined by personal experiences that mold our actions. Our actions allows us to lay out our steps to achieve success and, in essence, allows us to recognize our failures. If we are able to recognize our failures without justifying them, we are able to decipher our success and live out a more personal meaningful life. To make it short and simple, we have to go through the bad to understand what is considered good. Success allows us to live at our heightened self without experiencing our lower conscious self.
  3. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Success is definitely a motivating factor if you want to quit whatever you are trying to quit. Our actions determine if we succeed or not, and luck is not a factor in most cases. Success feels like the result everyone is reaching for, but so many fail to achieve. But once you do get to this point in life, you realize it is all worth it. You look at yourself at a much higher viewpoint.
    Zyni likes this.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Different people define success in different ways, but I am of a similar mindset. Success shouldn't be quantified. Just because you can count your money in the bank or identify the number of luxurious things you own, that does not mean you're already as successful as shallow society makes you out to be. The real measure of success is your level of happiness and personal satisfaction. If you are happy with where you are right now, then how can people not say you're not successful? You see rich celebrities who seem to have everything yet you wonder why they still feel the need to ruin themselves. That's simply because they aren't happy with who and where they are. That despite the fame and wealth, their hearts aren't whole. Can you call that success? Apparently not.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Zyni likes this.
  5. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Absolutely, xTinx. I don't think the measure of true success is in material things. I could have all the money in the world, and if I don't feel good about myself, I can still be miserable. Another definition of success can include being content with who you are, or who you have become.
  6. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

There are people who had good educational attainment, good career and jobs, a well known person but had failures in their family life or married life. Then there are people who do not have all these achievements but are happy living together as a family even they do not have the material things in life. On my own own point view I may say that those people who are at peace and happy within themselves are the one who is successful in life. You cannot buy happiness with what you had achieved or attained in life if there is sadness within your mind and heart..
    Zyni likes this.
  7. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well there is a saying that goes 'try not to aim to be a success but rather of value'. One should strive to be of value and when one has reached this stage then it can be considered success. Many people attribute success with money and material possession but fail to include being of value to society.
    Zyni likes this.
  8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

As they say, the most important part of success is not the success itself, but the process and hardships that you tackled to get to your final destination. All the learnings along the way are indeed valuable and will certainly make a person wiser. Success never comes easily and it's indeed a journey. Failure is actually not enduring the journey enough, or at least not appreciating the positive things along the way.
    Zyni likes this.
  9. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

One definition I saw and liked was simply this: "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose". In that definition, there is no mention of education fame , money or power which are the things society sometimes associate with success.

If I had to write my success story, it would include the experiences I've had here, contributing and listening to people share their stories of overcoming and struggling with addiction. People measure success in different ways.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That is so true. Success is not measured by how much money we have or even how high we go in the employment we choose, but how we live our lives. You can be very successful in anything that you do so long as you are proud of your accomplishments in life. If you can one day look back and be proud of everything you have done, then your life was a success.
  11. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

I just love inspirational quotes. For me, quotes always stick in my head. Every time the quote pops in my head afterwards, I just feel motivated. This quote is a great quote, and it helps me be proud of my failures as I was still able to be successful in some aspects of my failure.
    Zyni likes this.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. Success is not really measured by how many achievements you've had, but how many times you've tried and failed for something, but you still keep on fighting because you have a passion for it and that's your ultimate goal, then when you have finally attained it, that's the sweetest victory of all.
    Zyni likes this.
  13. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I'm a big believer of always concentrating on the process rather than the product. The work you've done and the experiences and friends you've gained are more important than arriving at a specific goal. The goal is there as a trophy; an added motivation. All of the hard work you've put into reaching it has a greater influence on you as a human being than the title you'll achieve in the finish line.
    Zyni likes this.
  14. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

I really like quotes like these too. They are quick reminders of the things we need to keep telling ourselves in order to stay motivated.

The only failure is when you stop trying. :)
  15. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Success has different meanings to different people. Personally, i view being successful as being able to lead a better life than yesterday. When my kids have all what they need and require, then i consider myself successful. When am able to live a healthier lifestyle compared to my yesteryear s, then i consider my self as being as successful.
    Zyni likes this.
  16. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also like it and agree to its meaning.
    There are several ways this quote was being said or stated. Such as success is how you overcome the struggles in getting your goal, and the journey itself matters most than the destination. :)
    Zyni likes this.