New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Suicide rate up 38%in midwest.Why?

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by True concern, Jun 9, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

This is something that really bothers me these days as well as the staggering increase in homelessness.I try to wrap my head around these thing's and often wonder what roll addiction play's?I realise that the nation (U.S.) is currently in the midst of an opioid epidemic but has it gotten that bad?What can we as people do to help these numbers decrease?Is it as simple as keeping an open mind?Can we as addicts and recovering addicts have a positive impact on changing the way we think?What are some thing's we could do to help one another?Please i want to know what you think we can do together to change these number's.Thank you and God Bless
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

The U.S. has to do a better job with mental health services. It's incredibly difficult to get proper care for things like depression in this country. I know because my wife and I have been dealing with my adult son's severe depression for more than 13 years. I wrote a blog about an experience we had a while back that pretty much illustrates how awful our system is. If you care to read it, here's the link:

Getting Mental Health Care Shouldn't Be This Difficult

We need to fix things. If we don't, more and more people are going to die.
    Dominica likes this.
  3. True concern

I will check out your blog,thank you for commenting
    deanokat likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Believe me, @True concern... Getting help for mental health issues is, as a friend of mine used to say, like trying to pick fly sh*t out of black pepper.
  5. True concern

Ya it's definitely bullsh×t @deanokat When my mom had her second back surgery she forgot who anyone was for over a month and right as my dad was getting ready to commit her i heard how to fix her and told my dad to wait 2 day's.They took her off her medication cold turkey and it's a benzo and her mind snapped.I told the Dr to give her her medicine and they refused so i took it upon myself to give mom her benzo and two day's later she knew who we were again and she checked out of the hospital and i took care of her for month's to follow at home
  6. True concern

That does sound basically impossible,i hope and pray it get's better for you all
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

I worked in the mental health system... there's a ridiculous amount of paperwork, way too long on waiting lists, and not enough supervision from superiors... at a young age, i was hired one day and told "i don't have time to train you. good luck." essentially, and i jumped in trying to figure it out in a hurry. a newbie dealing with dually diagnosed adults...

anyway, @deanokat thanks for that blog post and just for being a recovery advocate :)
    deanokat and True concern like this.