An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Sunshine After The Rain!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Daniel Lucky, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

One day when I was young I heard a knock at my door
    It sounded familiar, like I had heard it before
    I opened the door and to my surprise
    There stood a young lady with blond hair and brown eyes

She said, I have the answers, are you ready to play?
    So I grabbed my money and I said ok
    There were the answers that I had always sought
    Liquids, pills, and powders, and I bought and bought

Then one day, my friend suddenly changed
    her face became ugly, calloused, and deranged
    She grabbed my hand and we tore through the town
    My loved ones and friends could only watch and frown

She kept whispering something I could only guess
    It sounded like she was repeating "Yes, Yes, Yes"

How quickly from fun to very near death
    How quickly from one beer, to smoking crystal meth
    I thought of my family, oh what a mess
    But all I heard was screaming "Yes, Yes, Yes"

I had to find help I was at my wits end
    I had lost my child, my family and my friends

I said "God are you there, can you help me please?"
    A sudden peace came over me and I fell to my knees
    God answered the riddle that so long I did guess
    Why my addiction kept screaming "Yes, Yes, Yes"

It's because I kept asking night after night
    It's going to be different this time right?

I said, "God I'm not worth it I feel like a jerk."
    He said, "Suit up and show up its time to go to work"

Now it's been eight months since I had my last drink
    It's given me time to remember and think

So I am here to tell you in this little rhyme
    Life keeps getting better "One day at a time''
    So when you think you are going insane
    There's always, ''Sunshine after the Rain."

This is a poem that another person dealing with addiction wrote while in recovery. I want to encourage any user or parent or friend/family member that is fighting this there is light at the end of the tunnel!
    Natalie, zaerine, xTinx and 3 others like this.
  2. jackslivi

jackslivi Active Contributor

Absolutely beautiful! It is so true. All of it. It is amazing how God lets us choose whatever path we want even if it is the wrong path. No matter what, God will always pull us through it and stills loves us after we have just been so awful to him. We do not deserve it but he still is always there. I am so proud of you and I bet you already know how much God is just so pleased. You just telling other people about your experience helps in a way that you may not see. God has a plan for all of us and those plans just may be down the wrong path, but no matter what, it always ends up helping someone else. God bless you friend.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thanks for sharing this, Daniel!
  4. cc1001

cc1001 Member

The poem is beautiful. When I read the poem I could sense the hurt of making wrong choices. I can also see how the author of the poem wanted to help someone in need. I agree so much with what the author says. I have made wrong choices and have felt like a jerk myself. I have prayed about this and prayer does help.
  5. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Lovely poem, Daniel. Thanks for sharing! I'm moving this to our new Inspiration and Encouragement forum, which I'm hoping will become a place where others share things that inspire them in their recovery.
  6. Sarah

Sarah Member

I love that, its beautiful and I have shared it. I hope that my loved ones will find some comfort in the words. Here is another, written by someone receiving treatment in rehab. It's called Dear Addiction.

I'm writing this to you
    Telling you we're through
    I can't take you anymore
    Don't know what I liked you for
    All you did was wear me out
    Now I know what you're all about

You came to me with promise and joy
    Now look at all the things you destroy
    Families, lives, bank accounts you see
    You ruined it all with one little tease
    Look at the way you make me feel
    Then you take it all and want me to steal

Why can't you just go and hide
    Somewhere far away where I'll never find
    Everyone at home doesn't understand
    How you rip me apart, then lend me a hand
    I keep coming back thinking inside
    Maybe this time I'll make you my bride

Then I sit and wonder why
    Why do you really want me to die
    Thousands and thousands come to you
    Hoping and praying you'll help them through
    Then they fall for your lending hand
    Only to realize you're nothing but a scam

You promised me heaven and sent me to hell
    You ruined my life and then wished me well
    Watch me now as I go on my way
    I'm washing myself of all of your pain
    So you and your power can just leave me be
    I'm taking my life and setting it free
  7. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

That's a beautiful poem of realization Sarah. The poet, at the last line, meant she was taking charge of her life, right? I do hope it is that and not what I initially thought it was. After the realization and recognition of the bad effects of addiction to one's life, it is but appropriate that positive steps will be taken next. And Daniel, I believe in the power of prayers as well for inner peace and complete healing. I have witnessed a lot of people overcome the bad elements in their lives because they turn to God.
  8. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Such an exquisite piece of poetry! It's simple yet able to convey a powerful message. If you can't break it to them gently, then this poem will definitely do. I'll be glad to share this to everyone struggling to rise above their addiction. It's really nice of you to share this important literature here at the forum. Thank you.
  9. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I thought this was a very heartfelt poem. I think that it will encourage a lot of people who are dealing with addiction. I think the poem is very realistic at how many people with addiction feel. I hope that this poem can be an inspiration to others who need it. Would it be okay to share it with others?
  10. jbepp

jbepp Active Contributor

I think it's an excellent poem that will help people struggling with recovery. It really is an excellent motivational poem and I hope it helps many people realize just how bad drugs are, not just for you, but also for the people that love you.
  11. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

Very beautiful, thanks for sharing. I think this could help many people in a wide range of situations. Words can be so healing :)
  12. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Great poem! It really nice to see things like this on this forum, it even made me shed some tears! Sometimes all we do need is a little inspiration and some beautiful words, they can be so inspiring.
  13. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Very beautiful poem filled with meaning and passion. Such a talented soul ought not to go to waste. God is the answer to all our problems and when his children are struggling and call upon him, he is always there waiting with open arms.
    God bless you for sharing as I do know this will be a motivation for many.
  14. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Definitely! All worries, burdens, problems, heartaches, pain have an end. That alone should be a good motivation to continue trying and trying. If one gives up so soon, he won't have the opportunity to see that light at the end of the tunnel and all efforts are wasted. Continue moving on and it will eventually pay off!
  15. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

That was a very inspiring poem. Nowadays problems, trails, failures and struggles comes into our life. And oftentimes we are asking ourselves if and how we can escape from these realities of life. There are always doubts in our minds and we always pray to God to help us to what we are going through. Don't lose hope because all of these things happened for a reason and we can surpass all of these if we believe in ourselves we can. It is not always that our life will be miserable and time will come that there will also be brighter days in your life. It's just the same with the saying that there is always sunshine after the rain.
  16. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

This is such a beautiful poem. I clicked on this thread because it reminded me of a thought I had while talking to one of my friends. Even after a severe storm, there will always be a rainbow. Sunshine after the rain. Thanks for sharing this!
  17. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That was a great story and it explains the addiction process so well. At first it is a wonderful happy feeling and then you wake up one day feeling gross and distorted. YOu may not even realize it about yourself for a long time, but everyone around you sees it very clearly.
  18. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

These are beautiful. I was called to the sunshine in the title of the thread. What a blessing to know there is sunshine after the rain. One day I will write a poem about being in the company of people who have weathered the storms many of whom I have met here.
  19. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That is a good idea Wintery. I have found so much inspiration on here from people who have been through far worse than me and survived to talk about it.
  20. JessiFox

JessiFox Active Contributor

Thanks for sharing this- beautifully written and so poignant.