An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Supplementing addictions

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by JoanMcWench, Feb 28, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

How many of you have found (when dealing with those addicted to something & are trying to kick the habit) supplementing addictions? What I mean by this is those that quit alcohol may smoke more or those that stop doing cocaine may drink more coffee than normally or someone who has struggled with marijuana may be taking exercise to an extreme.

Do you find this to be the norm? Have you seen this occur within those you know? Is it the lesser of two evils?
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I've come across this a lot. It seems to me to that people are substituting one addiction for another. This is why it is so important to get to the bottom of the reasons why you got addicted in the first place. Otherwise, we can just end up in a circle of addiction.
  3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Yes it's common. I believe that this is form of juxtaposition, but instead of replacing one addiction with a similar one, the person goes on parallel route by finding solace in a different form of abuse. People who do this have the false notion that they've kicked their bad habit and have become more progressive. It's a very dangerous situation because that person is essentially deluding themselves into thinking that they are making some progress when in fact all that they have done is side step onto another problem.
  4. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

When I stopped drinking I did two things obsessively, I drank coffee (around thirteen cups a day) and I washed and moisturised my hands around forty times a day. I think it is a very common thing and as much as it gets someones mind off something, it is out of the frying pan and into the fire in my opinion.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I have seen what you are talking about happen so many times and I do think that it is the lesser of two evils. I have a friend who smokes none stop because she doesn't drink anymore, the cigarettes are a substitute for the alcohol and at times I am scared that she might end up over doing it all in the name of getting rid of the edge or keeping busy.
  6. bombshell

bombshell Member

When someone quits using drugs a huge gap of their routine is removed from their lives. They become overcome with boredom and find ways to fill the void. It's natural to want to find other things like television, eating, chain smoking, cigarettes or even another drug to fill that void. The trick is to try to find healthy alternatives to an unhealthy habit.
  7. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

I believe that replacing another addiction for another is quite common, as I have seen many people do it. Even though this is a personal though, I believe this is a great way to replace an addiction as a substance such as caffeine is much less harmful than an actual drug. Also I personally think fixing a caffeine addiction is a lot more easier than fixing an addiction with an actual drug.
  8. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I see this lots of times, not only for addicts but for everyone in general, because all people more or less have some obsessions or two and the need to constantly have a channel for it. I don't think there's much wrong with it as I see it as natural, but of course should be treated with a lot of discipline and responsibility.
  9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yeah. Some people who are trying to quit a bad habit somehow tend to abuse other things. I guess this is just pretty normal during the early stages of quitting because you are somehow looking for other things to divert your attention from going back to the old bad habit.
  10. sazzydan

sazzydan Active Contributor

I think what matters most is what people choose to use as an alternative to quitting. For example, if someone is quitting narcotics and choose to use drinking as an alternative, your substituting one extreme to another and the chance are that if you do that for long enough that is going to become a problem in the end so although you have quit one substance the battle is going to start again with another, therefore becoming a vicious circle.

If an alternative is needed to help quit, then exercise is the best alternative to quitting anything. Perhaps buy a bike and go cycling when your finding it hard. You get to keep fit and see some breathtaking scenery if you live in the right places. If your not the exercise type then you could also get a hobby, like woodwork or start a collection.

The bottom line is do not up one drug to compensate for another.
  11. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I have seen plenty of people start doing some other vice in place of their actual addiction, and that often causes further harm. It's human nature to latch onto whatever makes us feel good, and that can sometimes be something just as bad while we're recovering from a given addiction. We have to fight against those urges and find something more healthy to latch onto, though.
  12. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I am not addicted to anything, but I notice that it happens quite commonly with people because they have to divert their mind from a previous addiction, so they tend to replace it with another one. That really suggests that people simply just have an addictive personality, so they easily hop and get addicted from one thing to another.
  13. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Absolutely not. Alway try and determine the reasons you got addicted in the first place and try and address these alongside the issue of quitting.
  14. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I had a friend once who would always announce his resolution to quit smoking only to have it replaced by a bucket of chicken wings with some french fries on the side. He still smokes up to this day but whenever he tries not to, he goes on an eating spree. It's kind of relative, actually. Everyone is affected differently by the changes. From what I've observed, though, the substitution of bad habits inevitably occurs. It's just a matter of what form it takes and how badly it influences the person's life.
  15. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

Dealing with the withdrawal symptoms of an addiction can be traumatic. We often have to find a substitute for whatever we are giving up. Not all substitutes are addictive or quite so harmful as drugs. In most cases we are able to wean ourselves off these substitutes quite easily once our withdrawal symptoms disappear. I would say that if something is less harmful and not life threatening it could prove to be a better temporary solution.
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes, some people do this. It seems kind of silly though. Eventually something will kill me, might as well be this. Is something I've heard. Kind of ridiculous to think this way. It's like I've got to do something bad to myself. It's going to happen anyway. It just I'm sorry to say sounds dumb. Like they want to be the one to do it to themselves.
    I personally think if you are focusing on kicking something than pick something that is good for you as your alternative. It might be that the chronic complainers just look for another negative attachment. I don't know. Brainwash yourself into the positive.