An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Support From Family Members

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by 6up, Jan 9, 2016.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

When you used to drink, how did your family show support?
    Did they make food you, brought you cold water or did they take you to hospital when you experienced the withdrawal syndrome?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

There was no support for the addicts in my family because except me everyone was an alcoholic. I think that lack of support is what made it impossible for my family to stop abusing alcohol. I often tried to offer advice but being the youngest in the family didn't help.
  3. L_B

L_B Community Champion

In my husband's family there was no support for addiction. His Dad and Stepmom didn't drink so he was considered an embarrassment to the family. They always talked down about him to other people. They were mean to him and threw his addiction in his face. They turned their back on him. He was adopted so they blamed it on that, not on their abusive parenting which he endured through his teenage years. I believe if they would have tried to help him in his early years of addiction, he would be where he is today. A little support and encouragement can do a long way in helping somebody.
  4. DeathXGun

DeathXGun Member

There was never really support. They did what I did and because of that, it was hard to come out of such an addiction. It was the people that truly cared, despite their own addiction, that aided in the result.

-DeathXGun
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Not much support here either... but most of my family didn't know the extent of my problem. During my recovery I always heard things like "it's your fault, you shouldn't have even started" or "I'm not gonna feel sorry for you, you got yourself into this situation."
  6. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

My family pretend to ignore I was drinking in excess and whenever they admitted it, it was just to reproach me for other unrelated things.

It was like if they were blaming those things and situation as responsible for my drinking behavior and, while this was true in certain degree, they were concerned about those things that about the way I was going downhill drinking all day long.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

My family never knew that I used to be a heavy drinker. I was really good at hiding my issues back then, and up until now, they don't have any idea about the struggles I have went through in the past, and that's totally fine.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

If the family does not support you, you will never be able to get away from addiction. Addiction is a result if negligence, self-apathy, self-criticism, low self esteem.Therefore, the addict always need moral as well as physical support.
  9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that being young in a family with addicts, your advice is usually not given enough importance. Specially if you are the only one who is not into addiction and trying to make things better in the family.
  10. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Family support is very crucial in helping with addiction. It can be frustrating when the addict keeps going back to his old habits but love shown and expressed through bond and unity can fight all addictions. The family is the best place for an addict to run to.