An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Support Groups for Smokers?

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by popcorn365, Oct 21, 2014.

1. popcorn365

popcorn365 Member

I have been an on again/off again cigarette smoker for the last 10 years and have tried many times to quit. I've failed. I always thought it would be good if there was a 12 step support group for just smokers. I went to a substance abuse meeting once because smoking in a substance but they were all taking about addictions to other drugs that I really didn't understand and they couldn't figure out why I was there. They thought being addicted to cigarette's would be awesome in comparison to what they were addicted too. I left the meeting early and was very embarrassed for even going.

I have two little girls. One is 6 and understands what I'm doing (currently, I'm hiding it from her because she doesn't know I've started up again) and the other is 4 months old. I quit during both pregnancies and have quit multiple times over the years but always go back to it. My husband understands the need because he is an ex smoker but I have a problem and I don't know how to stop it and I really wish there was a standard support group that I could go to for my smoking addiction.

I tried going to one of our city committees that help people with addictions to see where I could go to get help. Lol. I got a "goodie bag" with some hard candy, a pamphlet, a rubberband, and some toothpicks!! And was told that was all I needed to get on the road to quitting my addiction and that the support groups that were available were for people with "real addictions". Like alcohol and other drugs....

Does anyone have any suggestions??
  2. Sarah

Sarah Member

You have proved that can do it already by quitting when you were pregnant. Nicotine is a real addiction and it's bad you haven't been offered the support you feel you need. I found this link I haven't used it (I am in the UK) so don't know how much help it will be to you but it is for quitting smoking and it says there are professionals that are there to offer support. Also here it is Stoptober, so there's never been a better time to quit.
    http://smokefree.gov/talk-to-an-expert
  3. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

Nicotine Anonymous is for smokers. There is a 12 Step for everything, including co-dependency, over eaters, gamblers, debters (this is one I should probably go join myself). You just need to look in the right places. If you really want to see a creepy show about smoking addition, watch Stephen King's Cat's Eye with James Woods. I knew smokers who saw that and never went back.

http://www.nicotine-anonymous.org/
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. popcorn365

popcorn365 Member

This is exactly the type of attitude that isn't helpful to someone trying to quit. "you won't have real trouble" I'm glad you are such an authority on the matter but the fact is I am having "real" trouble trying to quit. I have tried the gum, patch, e-cigs and they haven't worked for me. You don't pay a support group nor do you waste time when you go to a support group, nor does a support group make you quit smoking. It's a bunch of people that are going through the same thing as you who are trying to overcome whatever problem they have. It provides you with people that can potentially help you and be there for you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    Nick W. likes this.
  5. popcorn365

popcorn365 Member

Thank you. I had no idea that there was a nicotine anonymous. Very much appreciated information and I will be looking to find one in my area
    Nick W. likes this.
  6. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's something psychological. Your smoking certainly doesn't run on autopilot, but your mind has already programmed itself to smoke as a habit. I guess stressful situations likewise egg you to smoke. I'm not really sure what's the cure, but for you to undo the habit, you have to start another habit of not smoking. Maybe you can chew on gum instead or sip on something else whenever the need to smoke arises.
  7. popcorn365

popcorn365 Member

Thanks for the ideas. I've tried a multitude of different things and keep failing but I'm hoping to find different ways to manage my stress levels in hopes that it will decrease the cravings.
  8. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Smoking can be both a physical and psychological addiction, I agree with you that there should be more help out there for people who really want to quit smoking and are having a hard time. Have you ever considered finding a texting buddy? I don't know if that would work for you, but I've heard that nicotine cravings, while very intense, do not last a long time. Maybe if you had someone you could call or text when you feel yourself at risk of giving in, it would help you hang in there and stay on track.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I have an idea. :) Why don't you start your own group? I'm sure that there would be plenty of people wanting to come and talk about their nicotine addiction, sharing their experiences. You could also invite those you have already quit smoking to come and talk about how they did it, and to encourage others to do the same. It could turn into a wonderful project, offering ongoing support and new insights to everyone involved.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Cigarette addiction is a real addiction that they also be concerned about like the other addictions.
    Maybe you can search online for some local support groups in there, you might find some non government organizations that are really willing to help.
  11. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Support group for smokers? What would they do there? Smoke in group? Come on, supports group are for real and hard drugs abuse, you can quit anytime you want smoke, you've just established a mental edge that you can't, this is the main reason why you don't quit. Just look over yourself a little and you'll see that you have all that power within you, it was always there, you just choose to ignore it.
  12. Mormo

Mormo Member

I went to Nicotine Anonymous meetings a few times. There is a Basic Text as well as a 365 Daily Affirmations book available for cigarette smokers. Maybe you could try and read the literature and see if that helps. Like someone else said, you could always start your own Nicotine Anonymous group.