An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Support

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Dominica, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

very interesting observing myself. i have had anxiety the last week. not sure why.. but this morning i've had to submit a complaint to my auto manufacturer as they have not been able to fix my a/c after 4 attempts in a year. it is a little over a year old... and first of all, i just spent an hour and a half getting all my documents together... which is annoying. second, the thought of conflict brings me so much anxiety.

must be from something in my past... i mean the amount of anxiety at the thought of having to deal with this.

any advice? i'm breathing!! trying not to get caught up in my head.

just want my a/c to work. had to spend last summer vacay and this summer vacay where it went out. not fun in the south.
  2. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Dominica... Cars suck. Now that that's out of the way...

Depending on how old your car is, it might be covered by Georgia's "Lemon Law." Most Lemon Laws say something like if a defect can't be repaired in 3 times, then the manufacturer has to fix it and pay for it. Or something like that. So, if it's a newer car, that might be an option.

I've also had luck with taking to Twitter or Facebook with stuff like this. Send a message to the car company. Tweet something out about your issue. Companies do not like stuff "out there" if it paints them in a bad light. Just a thought.

Other than that... Deep breaths, my friend. And know that this, too, shall pass.

I really do hate cars, which is weird since I've been a Detroiter my entire life. The Motor City, baby! But I hate cars. Sure, they get you where you need to go. But they're a money suck and they break down. Sometimes I wish I lived in a city where mass transit was the norm. I would get rid of my car in a heartbeat.

Sending you and your car healing vibes, my dear. :)
  3. deanokat

Also... Doesn't @Joshstillclean fix cars??? Ask him to come over and get your damn A/C working!!!!! :D
    Joshstillclean likes this.
  4. Dominica

@deanokat thank you. made me smile. i don't care for cars either. i want to live on an island where we just ride bikes and walk everywhere. ;)

yes, i think it would be under the lemon law. i filed a complaint where they told me to... so i'll see what happens.
    and i might send out social media too! :)

i don't know about a/c's, but you'd think they would replace it after a few tries.
    Joshstillclean and deanokat like this.
  5. Joshstillclean

Joshstillclean Community Champion

@Dominica I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues with the a/c.
    I am HVAC ASE certified...not that ASE certs mean anything when it comes down to it really but I do know my way around a car.
    Especially the HVAC systems, emissions/electrical, and transmissions. I'm usually pretty up to date with all of the recalls for the major problems with a/c since we live in the south.
    And I can tell you already if you are dealing with warranty work, you've had it repaired ( or so they said ) 3 times...Sorry you're being taken advantage of.
    A big thing. IDK if you are going to the dealer but I'd say 9 out of 10 times, a/c work at the dealer, under warranty in the south- it's a sham.
    What kind of car and what's the issue. You really would be surprised at how easy some of this stuff is to fix. Wish I had known, seriously, you could have stopped by on your way through Atlanta...
    deanokat likes this.
  6. Joshstillclean

I meant to say sorry that your still having issues with the anxiety. I feel for you I really do. I couldn't function when I first started college and I was homeschooled- I used to have it really really bad. I do have advice. Talk about it.
    You are human too. Moderator or not, we all work the same.
    And we love you here.
    deanokat likes this.
  7. Dominica

@Joshstillclean thank you. i am glad i can admit it here..and get support. i did feel better today... yay!

a sham at the dealer? wow.... i do take it to the dealer (or have 4 times now). the first visit not sure what they did... according to paperwork, 2nd visit they found missing 0 ring in cap? replaced it. the 3rd visit, freon was low so they filled it and leak tested. 4th visit they kept the car for 3 weeks (had to call to get it back to vacay)... and they did exact thing. filled freon and leak tested. well, i'm no expert, but if something isn't working, why would you do it again?

it's under warranty. it was new and i've had it 16 months.

i will wait to see when i hear back from the manufacturer.
    deanokat and Joshstillclean like this.
  8. Joshstillclean

Usually when they leak test and refill they put a green dye in the "freon" (most of the time they use R-134a refrigerant because what you are referring to is R-12. That stuff was made illegal in 1986. 134 leaks like a wide open faucet in the tiniest hole. Hinge the need for the dye(which you can see under purple light).
    Most leak down tests don't last long enough to actually find a pinhole. Which I can guarantee with 99percent certainty is what you have if they have replaced an o ring under the cap. Probably they found the leak just didn't know it. Where you put coolant in is like a valve stem in a tire. Same thing. Same tool to remove both. The little tip inside your valve stem is actually the air one way check valve and they can get loose, which is why a lot of tires leak very very slow. Same thing with a.c..
    This is easy to check yourself if they can't seem to get things going for you.
    Don't keep paying for coolant. Make them find the hole...
    These people frustrate me. If I had a customer come back with a leak it would be on me and free for them. This is wrong. Sorry your dealing with these bums.
    But very happy you feel better today!
    Less anxiety = good.
    deanokat likes this.
  9. DoxyMom

DoxyMom Community Champion

@Joshstillclean maybe the dealers are that way in the South and some are here too but my husband is a service advisor for a Ford dealer and he hates come backs. They are all about getting good surveys for Ford and he would hate this.
    @Dominica call the dealer and ask for the service manager. Tell them you are calling Corporate next. As to your anxiety, I think you said you practice meditation. Are you still doing that? When I have to do something that makes me uncomfortable I give myself a pep talk over and over and practice what I'm going to say that way when the time comes you are prepared. Just my two cents. I've had panic attacks for years and used to take ativan but pain mgt took it away and I find I don't need it. Keep up with the deep breathing too.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Don't know how I missed this,perhaps the a/c clutch isn't engaging or next I would recommend changing both the high and low side pressure valves,any dealer should be able to get these things done fairly quick and easy unless it's a clutch issue on the a/c compressor but still a day or two should fix it.The cars a year old so it's highly unlikely the hoses are leaking but it is possible. I hope this gives you some real solutions to throw at them so they get there act together. Good luck and again have a blessed day
    deanokat likes this.
  11. Dominica

Thank you. I am implementing meditation and yoga back into my life. when i was away on vacay, i didn't meditate one time... hmmm... makes a difference!

My partner had talked to the service mgr last time...as she knows him personally... and, she's in sales mgt..she knows how to deal with things like this... I had emailed him after the 2nd visit...

I asked to talk to him, but he was "busy". I emailed him yesterday, telling him I was taking it to corporate. Haven't heard anything.

I'm not as anxious about it. I know in time, it will be taken care of one way or another.

Yesterday my anxiety was lower... so yay.

Thank you all for the support! Means a lot!
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  12. Joshstillclean

So glad your anxiety was better. hopefully corporate will do something...
    Seems like that meditating made a huge difference in your mood. Mabey I need to start.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. DoxyMom

Wow, that's what I thought. I am always saying I want to try mediation. I put an app on my tablet and never have used it but my doctor thought it would be good. I'm glad you are feeling better.
    I think it's great your partner calls for you but I think you might feel better about yourself if you call and give them what for standing up for yourself. Sometimes they tend to treat women different unless we act like bitches. Ha.
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  14. DoxyMom

I just re read your post. She knows him personally? Wow, that stinks they aren't going out of their way to get it fixed. You need to call corporate. I don't know what make of car, but call Ford or Subaru or whoever and let them know.
    Joshstillclean, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  15. Dominica

I understand... I do stand up for myself most of the time, even shaking in my shoes. She just happens to call on them for her sales job... so she was already there talking to him. But it is nice to have a feisty, not gonna take b.s. partner ;)

I received an email from corporate stating the protocol for what i have to do... submitting paperwork and such.. so will do that tonight. they say it'll take less than 40 days to take care of this... so that's something :)
  16. Dominica

Yes, I did take some time yesterday to just be.... quiet. even just going outside and sitting still. i think it's hormones too, as i'm having a lot more hot flashes in the past week. lol girl talk ;) real and raw... gotta love it.
  17. deanokat

Glad you're feeling less anxiety and got that email from corporate, @Dominica. Sounds like progress, although a quick fix would be way better. I hope they can get this resolved for you sooner rather than later.
  18. DoxyMom

@Dominica believe me I get how menopause makes us feel. Add to that the methadone makes me sweat it has been a very sticky summer so far.
  19. deanokat

:eek:
    Joshstillclean likes this.