An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Surprise Drug Tests

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by gracer, Jan 29, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I just saw on our local news that the drug enforcement agency has been doing surprise drug tests on cab drivers from different agencies because of the increasing complaints of arrogance and misdemeanor exhibited by cabbies these past few months.

Amazingly, the agencies they have tested all had some drivers who turned out to be positive from certain drugs and substances. Consequent warning and laying off from work have been implemented on the ones who were tested positive.

Are you amenable to surprise drug tests in your places of work? What are your experiences when it comes to this? I'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts. :)
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Since I don't use drugs, I would be cool with that! I think any company that deals with the public and public safety should be prepared to take frequent and random drug tests. Do you really want someone driving you around who is high as a kite? I didn't think so! I am not sure if I ever worked for a company that did drug tests actually.
    gracer likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I don't have a problem with randomly drug testing cab drivers. People who take cabs have a right to be safe. Come to think of it, I really don't have a problem with any employer randomly testing their employees for drugs. But that's just me.
    gracer likes this.
  4. thash1979

thash1979 Active Contributor

I think this is a great idea, and wish they offered this at my husband's work! He works in a factory where there is heavy machinery and forklifts driving around. The only time there is a drug test being done, is when someone gets hurt at work. I have heard him many times say that a co-worker has came into work drunk or on some type of drugs. Now, on the other hand it raises the question as to how they can enforce this in the states that have medical marijuana? This may be a great discussion!
    gracer likes this.
  5. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

The problem is though, some drugs don't even show up on drug tests because they leave the system very quickly. I knew of someone who chewed on fentanyl patches and took a pee test at the exact same time. They don't even show up. So they might be able to catch some drugs, but others they won't see.
    JonnyMacdonald and gracer like this.
  6. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've never had to be drug tested for work, but it's commonplace at my sister's workplace. Just a couple of weeks ago one of her co-workers was laid off for testing positive - not sure what drug it was, but it certainly caused a stir at her office. I think it's probably necessary in certain lines of work, to ensure employees are not under the influence of anything that could hinder their performance and cause detriment or danger to others.
    gracer likes this.
  7. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

My line of work requires employees to be good role models for youth that we come into contact with. I do my due diligence to be a good role model and warn teenagers about the perils of using drugs and alcohol, so I better practice what I preach! I am totally okay with drug tests done at my workplace. I think that anyone who works with children should have to be drug tested. If I was entrusting someone with my child, I would feel safer doing so if the people at that organization were drug tested.
    gracer likes this.
  8. Juanpeace

Juanpeace Active Contributor

Random drug tests for cab drivers is a necessary evil. Why evil/ because they are an additional expense to the business owner as time is spent on this random testing. evil? Because the drivers found positive for drug use are penalized or even kicked out of the company and then they start to worry, for their family's welfare. Necessary? yes, public safety or the greater good of the riding public must always be considered, so I do approve of these tests.
    gracer likes this.
  9. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have no problem with random drug testing but I can see why some people would have concerisen about it. Years ago when my husband got clean he landed this really well paying job and they did random drug tests. He cleaned up his life and stayed clean the entire time he was at that job. When the contract with that company ended he slowly got back to where he is today. If he was still working there is believe he would have stayed clean. There was an incentive to do so.
    gracer likes this.
  10. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I don't have a problem with random drug tests especially in the workplace. The thing is, cab drivers are responsible not just for their lives but also the lives of their passengers. And when you hold that big of a responsibility, you should be clean and sober, always. It's not so much invading their privacy or making them look bad, it's just making sure that they are well enough and responsible enough to drive and ensure the safety of their passengers.
    gracer likes this.
  11. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Well, I know truck drivers take certain drugs, so as to stay awake. There job is pretty hard and they are penalized for any delays. I wish they'd test truck drivers, but instead of punishing drivers, punish the companies that push them over the edge.
    gracer likes this.
  12. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Well thankfully this is no longer an issue for me, but it certainly used to be. I was always stuck in certain places of employment because I could not pass a test, and I knew it. It is sad really but it is just another thing that you change your life around in order to feed that addiction. Once you are clean though you can really see your opportunities open up.
    LaFantoma and gracer like this.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I don't use drugs at all, so it should be no problem for me if ever there was a surprise drug test in my company. I think random drug tests are one way of ensuring that the people that you employed are "good citizens" are are not liable to do something stupid because they are under the influence of drugs.
    gracer likes this.
  14. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I guess this is one of the advantages of random drug tests in work places. Due to the fear of employees in losing their jobs, they choose to stay clean and sober. The sad thing though is that it only works up until the work is still there, but when the job is no longer there or if the job you are working on doesn't do drug tests, tendency is for the substance abuser to relapse and return to his/her old ways again.
  15. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Exactly. Marijuana shows up for a long time and cocaine doesn't.
    So you might think this is good, but it might push addicts to other even more dangerous drugs or methods of administration.
    Addiction is a MEDICAL issue not a CRIMINAL one.
    These types of testing and punitive measures don't help things at all.
    gracer likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I've never had a surprise drug test, I do think that more and more places of work for example should bring in these sorts of procedures, but only for the right reasons.

These tests should be a way to encourage people not to take drugs, and any positive results should be used to help these employees, instead of a way to discipline or fire them.
    gracer likes this.
  17. denise13337

denise13337 Active Contributor

I think on some level this is a serious violation of your rights, I actually faced a situation like this but it was a little more complicated. When I was hired my boss knew I was a recovering addict therefore I was on methadone and she was find with it. They switched up some stuff at my work I got a new manager who insisted on a drug test, I didn't give know what to do so I just refused the drug test. Next thing I know I'm talking to HR and I'm trying to explain my situation. Point is a drug test is inclusive of everything, if you're on certain prescription drugs they show up on a test but that doesn't mean your employment should be jeopardized because of it.
    JonnyMacdonald and gracer like this.
  18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I won't have a problem with surprise drug test, I think that is a really responsible thing for a corporation to do, especially when it comes to works that directly involves other people's lives... I wish that this was a thing on my country!
    gracer likes this.
  19. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Oh wow I had never though of this view on the subject.
    I can see how it would be a MAJOR violation of rights.
    Here in Canada employers cannot discriminate based on medical issues.
    So lets say you have a medical issue you do not want disclosed to your co-workers. You do your job fine no one has any idea. You also take medication for that condition. Let's say that medication is also something that is commonly abused. So you get a surprise drug test, test positive and get called into HR to explain. You explain yourself, they understand and you get back to work.
    All good right?
    I would say no. Some people may know you failed the drug test. Some people might also start to treat you differently because they now know you have a certain condition. Maybe you get passed over for a promotion, you will be forever asking yourself is it because they know I have whatever?
    gracer likes this.
  20. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I do agree that it can be seen as a violation of your rights, but that's why I think the reason behind the tests is important. If they're put I'm place to help people rather than a way to punish them, the random testing could be a help rather than something to fear.
    gracer likes this.