An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Surround yourself with positive people.

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by megankl, Nov 18, 2014.

1. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

One of the most encouraging things I ever did for myself was to get rid of the bad people in my life, the people who caused me anxiety, made me feel bad about myself, encouraged me to do negative things and I replaced them with positive people who make me feel good about myself and encourage me to make the best decisions and to be the best person that I can be!
    RingoBerry likes this.
  2. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Good for you! Yeah, negative things or entities, will always hold anyone back from progressing positively in life. I have slowly adjusted myself to hanging around the less and less people that truly do care and want to help me throughout the years - although, not all people I do not hang out anymore were bad, we just have different personal paths. However, it's not merely letting go of negative things or entities that will change one's life only, I believe it's how we learn from such experiences that grow us in self.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agree. Life is too short for us to force ourselves to deal with toxic people constantly and not to mention it only ends up messing up our own minds and lives to do so. There really is not much reason to stick around waiting for people to change because chances are they won't. The hardest part is unfortunately recognizing it in your own family because usually it's much harder to get away from the toxic people when they are your family but you really have to try for your own sake.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That was nice.
    It is really hard being surrounded with negative people. Sometimes, no matter how you would like to feel good about the day, those negative people can find ways to ruined it. They are even some who can pushed you to the limit and can make you bad on certain ways. :p
  5. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 Active Contributor

This is a great strategy. Our parents have always said surround yourself with positive people. It reigns true. Positive people will keep you feeling good about yourself and will help you through the tough times.
  6. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

That is a very wise thing to do. Positive people will help build you up where negative people would discourage you and make every challenge in your life more difficult because of the negativity surrounding you. One thing that helps is when you are going to see people, already decide this is going to be a positive interaction. That way you are bringing a positive mindset as well and not just relying entirely on the other people to lift you up. Even if you are feeling really bad that day, just telling yourself "it's going to be good/fun/happy when I get there" sets your mind heading in that direction.
  7. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

This is the first major step towards rehabilitation, I think. Negativity is never a good thing and will always lead us to do negative things in return.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Of course, having a good support group and positive people around you is key to your continued sobriety. Anyone can walk out of a treatment center and pass with flying colors, but once on their own, a positive support group is key to continuing your success.
  9. Buddy101

Buddy101 Member

You do need to surround yourself around with good people especially if you just beat your addiction. You need to push hard in find you some new people to hang around because it is not going to do any better for you to beat a addiction in go around someone with the same problem.
  10. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

For me it does't matter if I am surrounded by good or bad people as long as I know my real self and I am positive to all the things that I am doing in my life. Positive thoughts will give me good insights in life. Even if you are surrounded by good people and within yourself you view life in the negative ways then how will achieve your goal of success.
    RingoBerry likes this.
  11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

I used to surround myself before with people who keep on complaining about so many things in life. When I distanced myself from them, life felt muh better. It's true that negativity from others is very draining. It's important to identify forces in life that are positive and shower yourself with those instead of negativity.
  12. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

I once heard a quote from LL Cool J, "Surround yourself with people who are smarter than yourself." I sat back and thought about what does it mean to surround yourself with people who are smarter than yourself. I came to the conclusion that it would have been better if he had said, " Surround yourself with people who are smarter than the decisions your brain can conceive", because being smart doesn't necessarily mean that it's in your best interest. I do believe that it is better to have positivity around you because even adults can fall victim to peer pressure. It's also safe to say that there has to be something inside of us that allows us to have better judgment when deciding whether or not that positivity is in our best interest and or if we're trusting someone else to be a crutch. It is encouraging to realize that the bad people in your life has been placed away by your own better judgment, that is a form of progression.
  13. ClassyTulip

ClassyTulip Member

Negativity can be so bad. I agree, life feels so much better when we are surrounded be positivity. It's like hearing the birds chirp a little crisper and the Sun rays shine a little brighter. I tend to just not associate myself with people who I know are just too negative.
  14. BobPopporro

BobPopporro Active Contributor

great pond of thoughts. this is true, to live into positive way, we must get rid those things that make our mood go into negative phase.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Good point. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the means to change their surroundings or the people around them in the right time but as long as you are confident in who you are and what you stand for then it won't matter as much. It's just unfortunate that most people would be surrounded with such a toxic environment from a very early point in their lives that they won't even have much of a chance to develop such a virtue.
  16. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Surrounding yourself with positive people is one of the best thing you can do in life.Especially for persons who are trying to recover from drug abuse, associating with people who will motivate and encourage you is a great idea. There is a saying that goes 'show me your company and I will tell you who you are'.
  17. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

Your surrounding has a big impact on who you are. Even though this is something I truly believe in, I found it very hard to just get rid of your friends. No matter how bad they are of friends, they are still people you consider your friends. Due to this, I personally have had difficulties in making new friends, and staying away from them.
  18. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I'm all for taking the chance to meet other people, but never ditch old friends mainly because I found new ones. I'll leave my old crowd simply because I know it will be best for me. I think one of the important steps before anyone can truly make a fresh start is to be able to detach ourselves in the correct manner from old peers. Regardless what kind of people they are, always end relationships in the most respectful manner.
  19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Of course, people around you tend to influence you in one way or another, whether it may be good or bad. And sometimes, those people who are very much closed to us are the ones who keep on dragging us down. It may be painful to let go of them, but it's the best thing that we can do.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

You did good. It looks like you did all the right things. There comes a time when you have to get rid of the excess baggage and make sure you only have what you need like great friends who bring out the best in you.