An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Surrounded by sufferers of addiction

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by akiram13, Feb 10, 2016.

1. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Growing up, I have always been surrounded by family members and friends who have been suffering from addiction to drugs, alcohol, and gambling. As a little girl, my first encounter with a family member suffering from addiction had advanced on to me sexually.

I did not know at the time the true nature of what was happening. When it was discovered what had been going on, he was sent to get help. I have never resented him because it is not in my nature. He had recovered from his addiction and has been ever since making a new life for his self.

My second encounter, was having to watch my mother be consumed by the power that drugs have. She has now several illnesses including mental and seems to only attract the wrong type of people into her life. But through it all she never failed to let me know that she does love me.

My younger sibling had tried a dangerous drug out of curiosity and now suffers from the withdrawal affects. He will talk to no one in particular, laughs spontaneously, and on occasion spaces out completely. He is taking medication but is also very stubborn.

Through my friends it seems all of them enjoy smoking marijuana. I have never wanted to apply it to myself or any other drug for that matter, seeing how drugs tore my family and childhood apart I was never attracted to the idea.

But there was also a time in my life where I felt so down and depressed by all of it. I got myself into the habit of drinking and soon became an young alcoholic. I had also became pregnant at the age of 16 with my first daughter. That is where I was able to change my life around. With the help of GOD and support of my family and friends as well as the inspiration my daughter gave. I had been able to quit my addiction. I had been given the chance to start anew and have been doing the best I can do since.

This is my life story in a quick summary. Feel free to pm me or comment. Feedbacks would be wonderful. GOD Bless.
    MrsJones likes this.
  2. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is good to know that you defeated the addiction and now having a better life. God is so good and you can serve as an inspiration as well for others. Your daughter should really be your motivation and she is lucky that you love her so much.
    MrsJones and akiram13 like this.
  3. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hi @akiram13! :)

Glad to have you in this forum and I'm also happy to hear your story on how you were able to beat your addiction and turn your life around. You are such a strong person to have made it through all the experiences you've had with addiction. Your positive outlook in life and the additional inspiration that your daughter gave you are your strength and motivation for your decision to change for a better life. I'm happy for you and I hope to hear more from you on this forum soon.
  4. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@akiram13 hello and Welcome to this forum! I am glad that despite the trials and struggles that had happened to you at a very young age you are able to quit your addiction and change your life for the better for the sake of your daughter and for your family. You had an inspiring life story and I do wish you all the happiness in life and all the best of luck to you!
  5. akiram13

Until now my children (I have more now) are my solid inspiration to keep pushing to keep doing good and to set the good example. GOD is GREAT. He has answered my prayers. He gave me the strength and what I needed in life. :)
    MrsJones likes this.
  6. akiram13

I appreciate that and I am thankful everyday. Everything that I have went through helps me keep pushing away from it. To not let addiction surround my life as i have seen all my life. I will succeed because I have faith and I have the will.
    MrsJones likes this.
  7. akiram13

If I can help atleast one person here I will feel accomplished. Reading ehat others went through and how they overcame the bumps in life can inspire and I hope by sharing my story it will. :)
    gracer and MrsJones like this.
  8. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome to the forum @akiram3. What an inspiring experience you have shared. I must say that I admire you for acknowledging God as well. He is the Deliverer of all. As I read the other responses pretty much everything that I would have said has been said so I'll just ditto on it all.;) I look forward to other experiences that you'll have to share.
    akiram13 likes this.
  9. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@akiram13... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing with us. Although I'm sorry you've had to go through the things you've gone through with your family, and that you had a period where you had a problem with drinking, I'm so proud of you for having turned your life around. You are certainly an inspiration, and your willingness to help others is to be commended. God is indeed great!

Thanks for being here, my friend. I hope to see you around the various discussions here.

Peace.
    akiram13 likes this.
  10. akiram13

I am committed and instead of being ashamed I am proud of what trials I had and have accomplished. I want people to see that it's not you were an alcoholic or drug addict or any addiction some one might have that they cannot come out on top. That they can one day say yes I was at the bottom but now look where I am now. The joy of overcoming them is fulfilling and self awarding.
    MrsJones and deanokat like this.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Great to know about that and keep that faith burning. :)
    Have a nice day!
    akiram13 likes this.
  12. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@akiram13... You have a great head on your shoulders. Really glad you're a part of our community. :)
    akiram13 likes this.
  13. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Thanks for being part of the community. You have indeed been through the mill. It is really awesome that you can get the types of trials that you need. It is simply one of the ways that some of you have grown up, and t seems you have grown up with two strikces against you or more. Remarkably you have come through intact, and good for you!
  14. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am so glad that you were able to turn your life around early and not fall into the addiction like you have known all your life. You are a strong young lady who sounds very mature and you really have your life together. That is so wonderful. I hope that your story will serve as inspiration to other. Just because somebody is raised surrounded by addiction they don't have to turn out the same way. All the best to you, glad you are a part of this community.
  15. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

@akiram13, it's a pleasure to have you join us here. Your story is one that inspires and reminds us that any one of us despite our environment can make the right choices even if not at first. I applaud your commitment and dedication for doing right by you and your young one. Continue to do well and my hope is that your story be the agent for change in the lives of many here and those around you.
  16. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us :) i'm so very glad that having your daughter actually help you choose the right path and stick to it. That is super admirable. I'm very glad you have changed your life for the better and I honestly hope things continue this way for you. You had a hard upbringing, kudos to you for not letting that define your life and who you are. Well done!
  17. akiram13

I would like to point out that no one who goes through trials like such will be intact or normal etc. We come out on top with scars. Believe it will be physical mentally and emotional. But i also know its how we use what we took on the chin and the way we apply to life.

Its so easy to just give up and give in. Its so easy to let yourself drown and bleed. It is so very easy. But i rather fight then be held down by my past or what others have put on my shoulders.

I will fight for my daughters. I now have three beautiful daughters and just yesterday GOD has blessed me with a son. I have been crying from happiness. I might live a poor life but a simple one with all the love to be provided. :)
    MrsJones and Winterybella like this.