An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Swapping to help in Stopping...

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by hoverman, Aug 15, 2015.

1. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

So I have anecdotally heard of a technique, whereby people swap things to achieve sobriety as opposed to going cold-turkey immediately. I know the Australia Government did something similar in trying to tackle their obesity crises, but I am curious if the notion that someone could drink hard-liquor, switch to beer, and then cut to light-beer, actually works.

Are there any thoughts or success stories for people who have used this technique out there?? Would this be something people could see 'softening the blow' when it comes to sobriety??
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Oh you mean by weening off of a substance by going to a lighter one? I've heard of that before. I could be done I'm sure. Going cold turkey is rough if the person in question doesn't have a strong support group to watch over them all the time.

But weening is possible, but I do not have first hand knowledge of people that have done that. I've read about it, but that kind of thing just doesn't happen often where I grew up.
  3. hoverman

hoverman Active Contributor

Yeah, that's what I mean JoshPosh. I've heard, and read, about it but I don't have any first hand knowledge about anyone successfully using it either.

I guess it's interesting, particularly when it comes down to alcohol or cigarettes - for example, this begs the question, do e-cigs actually work or are they substituting one thing for another without actually solving to problem?? It'd be great if someone who has used the method comes forwards and shares their story.
  4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Looking for another "lighter" alternative for your addiction is not really a bad idea. However, it doesn't really assure someone's recovery. I think the best way to deal with an addiction issue is to quit doing this bad habit for good. Find ways to battle and overcome it.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

The strategy can work for some people but might not work for others. It can take years for some people to finally believe that they are ready to move to the next phase. It's better IMHO, to check into rehab, get treatment and if you were serious about fighting the addiction in a relatively short while you'd be clean.

Addicts who I've seen trying to fight their addictions via weaning never [did] beat the addictions.
  6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

When I stopped smoking, I substituted the nicotine gum for most of my cigarettes and it did work for me. I was still getting some nicotine with the gum and was chewing on the gum so I had something to do. I was eventually able to just switch to regular gum after that.
  7. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I'm sure it does have its' benefits, for sure - I can see how it would work for people by gradually decreasing that dependency rather than going straight out cold turkey. I had to go cold turkey myself, personally - I just felt that if I went from full strength alcohol to lighter versions, then the destructive behavior itself would still be there. It's all going to depend on the individual though - but yes, I can see the way it would be beneficial.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes it is a really good idea. A back up plan for just in case you feel like slipping. It is not that you are anticipating it but you need an alternative for when it strikes.
    Alcohol and drugs the back up plan could be using different herbs that are strong. Kava kava, valerian root, lobelia, and things of this nature. They can be very strong in relaxation and sedation. A friend of mind would take lobelia before getting up on stage to sing. Kava will actually make you slur. It has a yin and yang effect. You can stay up or fall asleep. I personally don't think beer is a back up plan for alcoholism. I think it is the same thing and is just as addictive with the same harmful effects. Drinking lots of water can make you really happy. A gallon to a 1 1/2 gallons a day will flush the system and make you feel really good.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

A lot of people will say that you can't quit anything gradually, it's got to be cold turkey, but I don't necessarily agree with that.

A lot will depend on the individual, and some people find it easier to cut down gradually, instead of just stopping all at once, so I think it definitely does work.