An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Swimming!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by reubhole, Feb 26, 2015.

1. reubhole

reubhole Member

I've taken up swimming to have something to do with my mornings, now I'm not hungover all the time.
    At first it was really hard, but after a week of going every second day, I've made a lot of progress, I am no longer out of breath the whole time, and can start to focus on my technique.
    I would recommend swimming to anyone looking to start an exercise program but unsure of where to start.
    The great thing is, you can swim no matter what your fitness level. Everyone can get a great workout, even if you're on the large side!
    amethyst and bombshell like this.
  2. trueknowledge

trueknowledge Active Contributor

I have recently taken up on swimming as well, and I can completely agree with you. I first started of with running, but it eventually became a boring activity. I personally found out that running was not my thing, as I had to push myself to run everyday rather than looking forward to it. Swimming on the other hand, took a great deal of work to learn, and was something I could improve on and it really gave me motivation. I completely agree with you and recommend swimming to anyone.
    pandabear1991 likes this.
  3. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

Fun fact about me. I only learned how to swim way past my teens. Now I know different strokes, speeds, and techniques. Now I am not a Micheal Phelps, but I am still pretty fast. Other sports such as track and cross country also focus on endurance, and taking those up will also help!
  4. petersos

petersos Member

I love swimming , but it was never on my exercise regimen. It was always sort of something that I did for fun. However, as I have taken it upon myself to help my uncle's alcohol problem its become part of my regimen. I also make sure that my uncle comes with me and he has really taken to it. Its so awesome to see him into something other than going binge drinking.
  5. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Swimming is great, since it allows you to work the multitude of other muscles that can't be isolated or worked on personally. Once you get into the habit of swimming you'll notice that you're using muscles that you never even know existed! I used to do a lot of swimming because I used to participate in a a lot of triathlons before. Now, I do it as more of an exercise rather than training.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Agreed. Swimming is my favorite exercise because it gives me a whole body workout for the same time it would take to just work out specific parts of my body with any other exercise. You've also made a great point as well that it is perfect for anyone at any weight because the movement necessary for it gives the least impact on your joints compared to other activities.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

No one is going to believe I am surrounded by beautiful beaches and great sunshine and can't swim. I have not gone to the beach in years and it's less than a five minute drive away. I keep saying I need to learn to swim before I leave this earth. The clock is ticking.
  8. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I really wish we had an indoor pool around for swimming. It is way too cold to go to creeks right now, and we don;t have any beaches. But if we did, I would so take your advice on this.

I miss being in a city where everything was within a 20 mile radius :( But the swimming idea is great advice for anyone who has access to s clean pool/body of water.

@Winterybella do you have a close friend or family member who could show you how? I would hate for you not to be able to enjoy a good swim either.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

It's great that you have a passion for swimming. Rarely do people take up something in order to be better but you have broken this no-care-come-what-may mold and made a real effort to shape and develop your person through this endeavour. Hats off to you!
  10. bombshell

bombshell Member

I Love swimming in the spring and summer. I am from an island, but now live in the desert so the pool is my only connection to the water. I feel right at home in an ocean, lake or pool and love the workout I get from swimming. Hats off to you for finding a healthy outlet and good luck on your journey.
  11. reubhole

reubhole Member

I'm really starting to get the hang of it now, I can't wait until it's a bit warmer and can start to swim outside. I would truly recommend learning @Winterybella, you can't really compare it to anything else! It's never too late!
  12. Kaylaz

Kaylaz Member

Congrats on finding something that works for you and helps you! I've been a swimmer for a while now and I can truly agree that there is nothing like it. You use your body the right way, get the exercise, and it takes your mind off of everything. Keep at it!
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Good to know that you find a good way to have a healthy living.
    Swimming is a good exercise and fun too do so one will really find it worth doing. It is almost summer here and that also means swimming season. :D
  14. petersos

petersos Member

I want encourage you to take up swimming . It is really fun and plus an easy way to exercise the whole of your body. Learn Learn Learn...!!!!
  15. shmangie

shmangie Member

Swimming is one of the best ways to stay sober, or get clean. Exercise is a great way to get yourself to do whats right and healthy for yourself and it could be really fun. If you put your mind to staying healthy exercise can be one of the ways to do it.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I guess that would be ideal for people who have their own swimming pools and for those that love to swim. I also don't know how to swim, so I don't know how good it feels to "exercise" underwater, but I would also love to learn how if an opportunity arises.
  17. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

Yes, you are very right.
    Swimming is very relaxing and also very, very healthy for you.
    You need about 40-45 minutes of swimming each two or three days and that will guarantee you staying fit.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Swimming is a good exercise and it would definitely help you get through your addictions. The problem is, I don't know how to swim. Thus, I don't know yet if it will work for me or not.

Anyway, I'm glad that it has been very effective to you and has made a progress in your life. ;):)
  19. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Swimming is a great exercise. It's a full body workout and it's a activity that take up your time which is good if you are trying to stay healthy and sober.
  20. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I am now seeing the question and "yes" Winterybella does have friends and family that would be more than willing to teach her. Winterybella is just a procrastinator and also allows herself to be distracted by the other less essential things. Yet she knows swimming is a most refreshing experience which she keeps depriving herself of.:(