An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Swimming!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by reubhole, Feb 26, 2015.

1. juno

juno Community Champion

I think with summer approaching, swimming is a great idea. It is a form of exercise that really uses the whole body and burns a high amount of calories, so you will definitely get fit. If you are using an outdoor pool, then it is also great because you will be outside soaking in sun and fresh air.
  2. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I totally agree with you. Swimming is on of my passions in life. It saved me a lot of pain on many different levels.
    Not just did it help me over the years to cope with my chronic back pain, but it also toned up all my muscles and relaxes me to a point where I feel completely centered and in harmony with my inner being.
    I can't recommend it strongly enough. :)
  3. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Swimming is a good exercisse. However not everyone has a pool readily available. So walking yould be the first option. Anyone can do it. You just get up, put on your shoes, and out the door fo rthe next hour or so.
  4. jkendall

jkendall Member

Agreed. Physical activity is so important during recovery and swimming is one of my most enjoyable forms of exercise. I don't go as often as I would like but I plan to make an active effort to consistently fit it into my weekly routine. Being in the water can be so relaxing; the controlled breathing during a long swim feels like a type of meditation. The experience can be so rewarding for both the body and mind.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I absolutely love swimming. I took it up again a few years back, after being a pretty proficient swimmer in my childhood and teens. The biggest thing I love about swimming is the fact that you just feel weightless, and it's real, uninterrupted quiet time. I can head to the local pool, swim laps, and just zone out. The exercise makes me feel great and relaxed, but it's just that feeling of almost being in another world when you're underwater that's so calming and refreshing for me. It's one of my favorite forms of exercise for good reason!
  6. Nadeshiko

Nadeshiko Member

I actually just got into swimming! Well, not anything athletic or sporty, but very casual swimming - just backstroking and whatnot. I like to get into the lake by the beach not too far from my house (people must not know about that place because no one goes there!) and just hang out in the water, do a few laps from here and there, ya know? Something about just floating in the water is very free and relaxing. I do, however, need to keep myself on guard so that I don't accidentally float too far off without noticing!

I reccomend athletic swimming and "peaceful floating" to just about anybody that knows how to swim! Learning how to swim might also be a great activity for those trying to keep their mind off of an old addiction.
  7. juulicob

juulicob Member

I also have just recently started swimming more, too :) It's a great activity to take your mind off stress and past addictions. It's certainly peaceful and inspiring. The feeling of being submerged underwater and having such control over your body. You almost feel like you're flying... but underwater! In addition to the mentally satisfying effects of swimming, you're also burning calories.
  8. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes this is a really good one. It does take a little time until you can do this easily. The first year or so when I had moved out west I was swimming every day too. I did this on and off for years. Beautiful during the day to be able to get in some exercise like this on nice days. I remember working out at this gym that had an outdoor pool. Kind of a lap pool. I sometimes would swim at night. It was just so amazing to look up at the stars at night. A little back stroke. The was warm with a little breeze. Its like moments that always come to mind from time to time. Soaking up something like this.