An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Switch smokers

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by remnant, Feb 29, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I started smoking cigarettes out of fun before it threatened to become a habit. Even after quitting, whenever I drank beer, cigarettes became a good accompaniment. Some smokers are switch smokers doing it only at will for example, when drinking or after a meal and then effortlessly switch off. This can continue for long periods of time without developing an addiction.
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

This might be true but do you buy your own cigarettes or do you take them from others? Having a pack on your person can be a very big temptation.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If you use cigarettes only after, say drinking then maybe if you want to quit smoking you need to give up drinking first so you won't have to smoke. As for smoking after a meal that could be a little harder to beat but you can wean yourself off as that would be easier than quitting cold turkey.
  4. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I smoked for a while, but only because I wanted to. It never became an habit or addiction. That is odd because I seem to be really prone to addictions, I guess cigarettes have never been my thing. I'm glad about that, the worst I could do would be smoking! Way to worsen my health! I'd advice not to ever toy with a cigarette, my fiance's addiction started with a singe cigarette.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Unfortunately there is cigarette association. It doesn't really matter what it is but if you always have a cigarette before are after something you always associate it with the cigarette.
    Fortunately this doesn't last very long once you quit smoking.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

It may be true that some people can only smoke occasionally. Still cigarettes are really unhealthy, and have way to many chemicals in them. It's kind of like saying you'll only take in poison every now and then. It may be safer then chain smoking but doesn't really make since.
  7. blenly

blenly Member

The problem is as human beings we associate things together. This leads to us associating a cigarette with beer, with the end of a meal, with your break at work, with getting in the car or with having a coffee. In my opinion these psychological triggers run much deeper than the addiction itself. They are probably the hardest part of the addiction to get over. I started just smoking while drinking but slowly smoking started to appear in other parts of my life too.
  8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I used to be a switch smoker, I suppose. I quit smoking very easily and would only smoke from time to time. I tried this recently and found that I just can't put a cigarette in my mouth anymore. It disgusts me at this point. I don't feel like I was ever addicted to nicotine, but just enjoyed it.